EW account deactivated | ExpatWoman.com

EW account deactivated

Latest post on 21 October 2014 - 16:56

I've got my account deactivated a few days ago. It was my fault actually, since I unsubscribed from EW mail, which actually says that they will deactivate your account if you unsubscribe.
In which world is this normal though? Yes, it's my fault cause I didn't read the warning, but still.

I've unsubscribed from Twitter and FB and many more emails a long time ago, but that was never connected with the accounts you have there. Why is that okay for EW? I don't get it!
They advise you to simply delete the emails that don't interest you instead of unsubscribing. Seriously? If I would want to delete every single "spam" mail that comes to my inbox I could do that for whole day. Well not really, but almost.

Isn't that a persons choice to get selected emails? Why is this connected? I haven't seen anything like this before. It feels like EW is forcing their emails. If I need some info (that is usually included in these emails), I can come to the site and search for it.

Well I surely got my account back and I hope I won't lose it again, but that really got me thinking and I would really like to know why this two things are connected.

My daily rant is now over! Ahh!

Latest post on 21 October 2014 - 18:51
Thanks for the feedback... It's been part of membership conditions of the website for 13 years. It's stated very clearly on the page when you sign up as well. The emailers are generally of things that are of interest to expats in Dubai... Events, happenings, services, offers etc. We try and make the titles implicit so if you don't have an interest in the subject you don't have to open it. We've had a lot of events happening ourselves over the last 2 weeks as well. Most subscription based websites will send emails every day, if not twice or thrice and we are conscious of not flooding members email accounts... It's just the season with lots happening at the moment. We try very hard not too send too many and only very rarely send 2 in a day if some things are time sensitive and we send them well apart from each other. As stated we will revisit the calendar and try to spread out more. Only logged in members can enter the competitions.. So that is another benefit... We've given away hundreds of thousands of dirhams worth of prizes over the last 13 years to our members. As regards other adverts we have an active policy of no interstitial adverts, no annoying pop ups, no floating banners, no animated banners except in one place on the main home page and on client pages. We are trying to keep the user experience as uninterrupted as possible and do look into all constructive feedback. Warm regards, EW Admin <em>edited by admin on 21/10/2014</em>
Latest post on 21 October 2014 - 17:57
There is quite a simple solution, but I have grown quite fond of my neck...
Latest post on 21 October 2014 - 17:55
I guess it's really about advertisement [b'>Oopsiedaisy[/b'>, as EW admin actually admitted, but I still didn't get the answer why this is connected with the account you have on the site (forum). Maybe you should try to complain after unsubscribing, like I did - asked why my account was deleted. Got my account back, but not the spam. At least for now. :) All this competitions are up on the site which we subscribed to. All this flashy ads are here on the site too. I just don't get it. Spam email is never part of the membership. This is why you are usually able to unsubscribe. And please don't tell me about 2 or 3 or 4 updates per week. I got at least 2 per day! I understand that you need to "feed" your sponsors, which you do. But this two things shouldn't be connected and I am sure there is some law about it, cause I have never seen anything (rules) like this.
Latest post on 21 October 2014 - 17:29
Hi There, To answer your queries... as part of membership of the site- you are able to use the forum, enter the competitions and will receive our newsletters- they are all linked. We send one EW newsletter a week with our updates and usually 2,3 or 4 emailers a week from clients... we have been particularly busy with emailers in the last couple of weeks, as Dubai has got busier with events etc. so the frequency has gone up... we will monitor closely to try and spread them out more and thank you in advance for your understanding. Warm regards, EW Admin
Latest post on 21 October 2014 - 17:02
You are spot on. EW's policy with regards to them sending spam is ridiculous. I suppose it has commercial reasons: all their advertisers will pay more the larger their database is. I tried many things, including reporting all EW as spam and trying to get another email address on my account. Now I'm just deleting without reading, but it seems to be getting more and more so I'm seriously considering quitting EW for good.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY