Getting married in uk - what are the rules? | ExpatWoman.com

Getting married in uk - what are the rules?

Latest post on 21 October 2014 - 17:56

Hi

Can anyone help. We are looking to get married in the uk, I'm British but my other half is Lebanese Christian. Any ideas about the rules as I can't find a definitive answer online.

I understand he needs to apply for a marriage visa rather than the normal multiple entry. But he has no intention of becoming a resident as we live in Dubai

I see you need to register your intent to marry at a registry office a minimum of 14 days before the wedding (but its valid for 12 months), but if you want a church wedding you need your bands read 14 days before so need to travel anyway.

Does the above also apply to non-british nationals and are there any other hurdles we need to be aware of?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated

Latest post on 21 October 2014 - 19:11
Congratulations on your engagement! I am British & my then fiancée (now DH) is Lebanese & American. It was extremely complicated if we wanted to get married in England. You have to have a UK address and be there to post notice of marriage in person several weeks before. We looked into all the options and you can post notice of marriage by post in Gretna (hence the old eloping capital). Ultimately we found it required 2 trips to the UK (or maybe even have to stay the whole time between posting notice & the ceremony) and was too complicated and time consuming. We married in Cyprus which was much simpler, plan b was Vegas. As others have said, call a registry office... They were extremely helpful. Hope you work it all out, good luck!! <em>edited by Britgirldubai on 21/10/2014</em>
Latest post on 21 October 2014 - 19:03
Yu should definitely check as I think you need proof of address in the uk..
Latest post on 21 October 2014 - 18:03
Hi pipindubai I'm no expert however I think the best advice would be to decide where you are going to get married and then contact the local registrars for advice. We are getting married in Cheshire (to move to Dubai) and the registrars have been really helpful and will be able to guide you through the process and any possible issues you might have. I would also say that a registry office marriage is really lovely if you want to save the expense of hiring a venue or having to go through the hassle of bands being read in church too. Good luck.