If anyone is looking to find a new home for a young Yorkshire terrier, please let me know. | ExpatWoman.com

If anyone is looking to find a new home for a young Yorkshire terrier, please let me know.

Latest post on 23 October 2014 - 16:02
Sumi - please have a look on SNIFF (Strays needing Interim or Furever Friends) FB page. There is a small terrier cross on there called Teddy that needs a home - he looks very sweet.
Latest post on 23 October 2014 - 15:46
Thankyou for the replies Nomad & Fairydust. I don't know about importing, its not something we have considered at all. The most we have talked about along those lines is exporting the dog if we have to leave the country. It is a vicious cycle I guess... people buy then abandon, or breed and sell and those get abandoned. The lucky few get to the shelters and adopted and still few have a lifetime home. We visited a pet shop yesterday. It was terrible! there were mostly cats but there was a young lab and a young maltese there. The maltese looked so hopeful when we walked in, following our every move (inside its glass cage) and as we walked out of the shop if followed us, looked on and then realising we were leaving just flopped down there looking at us. I almost burst into tears and told DH lets just not visit another pet shop again! The place was stinking but 'appeared' clean, if you know what I mean. We are still going to keep looking, if we can find one to adopt it would be perfect, but if we would have to pay 'something' as long as its not over the top, we might consider it. I'll be honest, we will try not to buy from these shops as a few did approach us, but we politely declined. However, by the looks of it, we may end up *buying* eventually, most likely from someone who has an unwanted litter cause they didn't neuter in time or I guess the local breeders whose pups will eventually end up on the selling list anyway. Atleast if we take it, it would be one less puppy living in uncertainty anyway. I contacted pethabitat and they had a 7 month old who had been abandoned by its mothers owners (they did not abandon the mother, just the puppies). It eventually contracted ear infection & skin problems. Pethabitat nursed it back to health along with the other puppies in the litter and are selling them off. We might pay it a visit, but are worried they are slightly larger than the size we are hoping for but we are going to keep our mind open. <em>edited by sumi on 23/10/2014</em>
Latest post on 23 October 2014 - 09:46
I'll second what Nomad said. Sadly all the pups in pet shops here likely come from puppy mills in Eastern Europe. Many are brought in far too young and with fudged paperwork. Can't ell you how many people have bought dogs and they've been so sick and ended up costing a fortune in vets bills or dying - not worth it. Please don't BUY a dog, as you just contribute to this horrible industry. If you're absolutely set on s certain breed, then research and ethical breeders and bring it in yourself.
Latest post on 23 October 2014 - 09:31
Does anyone know any proper 'authorised' pet shops we could check out too? How can one tell if a pet shop is authorised to sell pups/dogs or not? Adoption centres don't seem to have any really small dogs, and being in an apartment I don't want to take on a dog who is bigger. Define ' authorized ', if you mean licensed to sell pets they sell pets. There are NO ethical breeders in the region, loads of backyard breeders and pet stores who import puppies from east block puppy mills. Any breeder who is prepared to send puppies to pet shops all over the world to an uncertain fate are purely in it for the money.Their breeding practices are shameful producing genetically unhealthy pups and the documents are usually altered. If you are set on getting a particular breed why not try and adopt from a rescue organization that specializes in that breed. Depending on where home is I would start there .If it is a puppy you are after source an ethical breeder in your home country. Any breeder worth their salt will make you jump through hoops with lengthly questionnaires, face to face meetings, spaying contracts etc. and that is before you start the importing process.Some breeders won't let their puppies be exported. If you are prepared to wait, the right fit will come along and it might not be what you had in mind. ETA have you considered just how loud Yorkies can be, their bark is much louder than their size. <em>edited by Nomad on 23/10/2014</em>
Latest post on 23 October 2014 - 08:18
Does anyone know any proper 'authorised' pet shops we could check out too? How can one tell if a pet shop is authorised to sell pups/dogs or not? Adoption centres don't seem to have any really small dogs, and being in an apartment I don't want to take on a dog who is bigger.
Latest post on 22 October 2014 - 15:38
Check out the rescue organisations: K9, Animal Action Abu Dhabi, Scads, SNiff, Dubai Animal welfare There was an influx of small dogs needing homes not so long a go. Contacted them, but most of them already got back saying that at the moment they don't have any small dogs... :( Anyway no rush, we'll just wait for the right little guy to walk by... and keep looking till he/she does. :) <em>edited by sumi on 22/10/2014</em>
Latest post on 22 October 2014 - 15:36
Thankyou marblesxx, I saw it this morning and have contacted them with all our details. Hopefully they might get back to us so we could arrange a few sessions to meet with the puppies.
Latest post on 22 October 2014 - 11:28
there is an ad today for a yorkie http://dubai.dubizzle.com/classified/pets/pets-for-free-adoption/dogs/2014/10/21/puppies-for-free-adoption-2/?back=dWFlLmR1Yml6emxlLmNvbS9jbGFzc2lmaWVkL3BldHMvP3BhZ2U9MiZpc19zZWFyY2g9MSZwcmljZV9fZ3RlPSZrZXl3b3Jkcz0maXNfYmFzaWNfc2VhcmNoX3dpZGdldD0xJnByaWNlX19sdGU9&pos=9
Latest post on 22 October 2014 - 08:19
Thanks for the reply FairyDust. I will be contacting them all today and hopefully something works out and we find a lovely new member to our family. :) As you suggested, we will also be keeping an open mind on on adopting a similar sized dog suited for apartment and loves kids.
Latest post on 22 October 2014 - 07:34
Check out the rescue organisations: K9 Animal Action Abu Dhabi Scads SNiff Dubai Animal welfare There was an influx of small dogs needing homes not so long a go. I would also say, although it's nice to have a certain breed in mind, be open minded about looking for a dog. There so many animals in desperate need of a home and very often the dog chooses you and you could end up with something totally different.
Latest post on 21 October 2014 - 21:53
After almost an year+ of deliberating, we have decided that a dog and among dogs, a normal (NOT mini) Yorkshire Terrier would be the ideal new member to our family of 3 living in an apartment and would continue to do so in the long run. Checked out all the usual places online, but most of them have yorkies imported.. meaning most likely puppy mills. If anyone knows of someone needing to provide their young terrier a forever home, please do post here. An older yorkie is fine too as long as its just slightly older. :) Details about us: We live in an apartment and both of us adults have had cats and dogs pretty much throughout our childhood and adult life. So we know the care & work involved. :) Our son, he's 7, is loving and caring and has been asking for a sister specifically, but a brother would do too. ;) The puppy/dog would be home alone maximum for 3 hrs a day (but usually lesser) 5 days a week. weekends he/she would be with us incase we travel around. Ideally would luv to have an opportunity to meet him/her once or twice so that we can be sure he/she is a match for our family as much as we are for him/her. Also this would hopefully make the move to a strange new place less stressful.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY