Musandam boat ride | ExpatWoman.com

Musandam boat ride

Latest post on 22 October 2014 - 10:39

Good morning ladies, we would like to take the kids to see the dolphins. Any recommendation?
I saw some day trips online but they include the journey from dubai and back. We want to drive ourselves and get the boat from there.
Also is there somewhere nice for lunch in that area? A nice hotel?

Latest post on 27 October 2014 - 17:16
The boat trips is amazing. We just found some self catering type accomodation when we got there and went down to the harbour and sorted out a boat ride directly. Probably worth a bit of investigated as a couple of the boats we saw were rammed full with passengers and didn't have any shade.
Latest post on 25 October 2014 - 11:19
https://www.facebook.com/khasabbeachtour.oman?fref=ts You can just book the tour without transfer. There is a Golden Tullip Hotel in Khasab. I totally agree - Khasab. The east coast Mussandam is very disappointing. Take the extra time and pay the extra money to go to Khasab. It is a once in a lifetime experience. We also always use the travel agent inside the Gold Tulip Hotel to arrange everything for us. They are always very polite and helpful and their tours are great. They use mostly local Omani boat crews, local fishermen, who have a good local knowledge with many interesting stories to tell and can speak English reasonably well. The drive up to Khasab is also fabulous and well worth the trip. You will not be disappointed. Can you arrange the trip with them departing Dubai though or do you have to be staying at the hotel? Who would be best to use that includes transfers from Dubai for a one day trip? Thanks. Yes, the tour company in the Golden Tulip Hotel has buses that travel up early in the morning and back the same night. It is a big day - exhausting I would think. But, the day is worth it. Also note, unless their facilities have changed recently, there are no showers etc, so after swimming etc around Telegraph Island, you just dress. So by the time you arrive back in Dubai, I would imagine you will feel rather sticky and yucky. Just call the hotel to book. I have no idea from which location the buses leave - have never taken one. You could also drive up and back yourself for the day. You would need to leave early as the border crossing is often very busy with buses of tourists going up for the day. edited by mrsb. on 24/10/2014 Great! Thanks for taking the time to respond.
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 25 October 2014 - 11:00
Appreciate this thread as we are planning to go in December. Just had a questions regarding the dolphins. Is there a dolphin season? Will we be able to see them in December? TIA The dolphins are there year-round. They can be seen on almost every trip, but since they're wild animals, no guarantees are given. Last time we were up there we didn't see any on the way out, but we did on the way back to the harbour. We'd recommend going for the full day rather than the half-day tour. The half-day tour takes you back to Khasab after Telegraph Island, but the full day takes you deeper into the fjords and typically moors in an area that's full of fish for more snorkelling. The sea life around Telegraph Island is a bit disappointing now. Be aware that there are no tourist facilities other than the hotels and the Lulu. If you want to eat, you'll have to do it in a hotel. We've been to both the Atana Khasab (formerly the Golden Tulip) and the new Atana Musandam. The former is our favourite, because of its location on the headland looking out to sea. The Atana Musandam is inland, next a large empty sand lot just opposite the Lulu, and is a bit lacking character in consequence. Couldn't agree more. It is a fabulous full day trip and the old Golden Tulip is, while it is a it tired these days, really is great hotel, fabulous location and welcoming atmosphere. It is a great get away. It is even an interesting trip in winter, while it is too cold to swim, the blustery cold wind on the boat is a welcome change to our usual weather and the cruise is most enjoyable. I recommend it any time of the year.
Latest post on 24 October 2014 - 20:15
Appreciate this thread as we are planning to go in December. Just had a questions regarding the dolphins. Is there a dolphin season? Will we be able to see them in December? TIA The dolphins are there year-round. They can be seen on almost every trip, but since they're wild animals, no guarantees are given. Last time we were up there we didn't see any on the way out, but we did on the way back to the harbour. We'd recommend going for the full day rather than the half-day tour. The half-day tour takes you back to Khasab after Telegraph Island, but the full day takes you deeper into the fjords and typically moors in an area that's full of fish for more snorkelling. The sea life around Telegraph Island is a bit disappointing now. Be aware that there are no tourist facilities other than the hotels and the Lulu. If you want to eat, you'll have to do it in a hotel. We've been to both the Atana Khasab (formerly the Golden Tulip) and the new Atana Musandam. The former is our favourite, because of its location on the headland looking out to sea. The Atana Musandam is inland, next a large empty sand lot just opposite the Lulu, and is a bit lacking character in consequence.
Latest post on 24 October 2014 - 08:41
The golden tulip has been taken over by atana and is now called the atana khasab. The new (dry) hotel is situated by the lulu supermarket in the harbor area and is called the atana musandam. Hope that clears up any confusion. ?
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 24 October 2014 - 07:57
https://www.facebook.com/khasabbeachtour.oman?fref=ts You can just book the tour without transfer. There is a Golden Tullip Hotel in Khasab. I totally agree - Khasab. The east coast Mussandam is very disappointing. Take the extra time and pay the extra money to go to Khasab. It is a once in a lifetime experience. We also always use the travel agent inside the Gold Tulip Hotel to arrange everything for us. They are always very polite and helpful and their tours are great. They use mostly local Omani boat crews, local fishermen, who have a good local knowledge with many interesting stories to tell and can speak English reasonably well. The drive up to Khasab is also fabulous and well worth the trip. You will not be disappointed. Can you arrange the trip with them departing Dubai though or do you have to be staying at the hotel? Who would be best to use that includes transfers from Dubai for a one day trip? Thanks. Yes, the tour company in the Golden Tulip Hotel has buses that travel up early in the morning and back the same night. It is a big day - exhausting I would think. But, the day is worth it. Also note, unless their facilities have changed recently, there are no showers etc, so after swimming etc around Telegraph Island, you just dress. So by the time you arrive back in Dubai, I would imagine you will feel rather sticky and yucky. Just call the hotel to book. I have no idea from which location the buses leave - have never taken one. You could also drive up and back yourself for the day. You would need to leave early as the border crossing is often very busy with buses of tourists going up for the day. <em>edited by mrsb. on 24/10/2014</em>
Latest post on 22 October 2014 - 18:23
Great! Thanks a lot ladies
Latest post on 22 October 2014 - 17:27
I don't know if it's dry, but I'm almost 100% sure that Golden tulip is now Atana resort
Latest post on 22 October 2014 - 17:05
No, pretty sure the Atana is new (and dry). If you are planning a Musandam trip and especially on a tour, be aware that there are two sides, the Dibba side is a lovely trip but there are no dolphins and the road is not the stunning coastal road that you drive up when you go to Khasab. Khasab is where the dolphins are, and you pretty much see them on every trip. :) The hotels are limited to Golden Tulip (little bit older but licensed I think, Esra apartments (cheap, dry) basic but fine, Khasab Hotel (dry I think), Atana resort (also dry). Double check but think that's right! You can also do a mountain tour in Khasab which is very interesting as they show fossils in rocks, and see some lovely greenery. LOVE Musandam. :)
Latest post on 22 October 2014 - 16:13
I think the Golden Tulip is now Atana resort. We stayed in golden Tulip , but arranged a private dhow just for the 4 of us. I think you have to book a hotel stay and have the confirmation of it when you cross the border ? Maybe it's changed since we went ?
Latest post on 22 October 2014 - 15:34
I think you will still see them in December, why not give Khasab tours a call and they will maybe know. The temperatures are cooler then so not so nice to swim and a bit chillier on the boat but still lovely. enjoy
Latest post on 22 October 2014 - 14:02
Appreciate this thread as we are planning to go in December. Just had a questions regarding the dolphins. Is there a dolphin season? Will we be able to see them in December? TIA
Latest post on 22 October 2014 - 13:51
forgot to say that the border per person was 25 and 15 dhs I think for the UAE exit and Oman entry, nothing on the way back!
Latest post on 22 October 2014 - 13:50
Hi there, was actually up in the Mussandam last week and the temperatures were lovely both in and out the water. We drove up from Dubai and stayed with a friend in RAK the night before. The drive from RAK to Khasab does not take long but save the sightseeing til after the boat trip and take it easier on your way home. The border can take anything from ten minutes to an hour, the staff are lovely and pleasant but not the speediest. You need to park your car, go to the desk inside and officially exit the UAE, drive through then stop about 100 meters up the road and park again and go inside to fill in the entry visa for Oman. Then drive on through. You will need to show your passports, you have to all go in for the UAE side of things, then show also your car reg docs and proof of Oman insurance. The drive from the border to the port where you get the dhows is about 30 minutes taking it relatively easy, it is around 40 km but the road is winding and hilly and lovely. We organised our 3 hours and a bit trip by calling Khasab tours and for 150 dhs per person we had our own dhow, juices, fruit, water etc. 75 for kids. toilet on board and just a lovely way to spend a morning or afternoon, doing a whole day is just more of the same. You motor out of Khasab, enjoy the dolphins on the way to Telegraph island where you can snorkel for an hour then motor slowly back. It is a lovely wee trip, has not changed over the past 2 decades when we first went and that is what it makes it so pleasant, hope you enjoy it! There are a couple of newer hotels popped up but I have no clue on what they are called.
Latest post on 22 October 2014 - 13:26
https://www.facebook.com/khasabbeachtour.oman?fref=ts You can just book the tour without transfer. There is a Golden Tullip Hotel in Khasab. I totally agree - Khasab. The east coast Mussandam is very disappointing. Take the extra time and pay the extra money to go to Khasab. It is a once in a lifetime experience. We also always use the travel agent inside the Gold Tulip Hotel to arrange everything for us. They are always very polite and helpful and their tours are great. They use mostly local Omani boat crews, local fishermen, who have a good local knowledge with many interesting stories to tell and can speak English reasonably well. The drive up to Khasab is also fabulous and well worth the trip. You will not be disappointed. Can you arrange the trip with them departing Dubai though or do you have to be staying at the hotel? Who would be best to use that includes transfers from Dubai for a one day trip? Thanks.
Latest post on 22 October 2014 - 12:24
There is also the new hotel in Khasab - Atana Resort- which is very nice. We organised our boat tour independently based on price and size of boat (we didn't want to be on a big boat). Just google "boat tours musandam". I think the different companies all share the boats anyway. Certainly it was a great stay and we saw lots of dolphins back in July.
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 22 October 2014 - 11:50
https://www.facebook.com/khasabbeachtour.oman?fref=ts You can just book the tour without transfer. There is a Golden Tullip Hotel in Khasab. I totally agree - Khasab. The east coast Mussandam is very disappointing. Take the extra time and pay the extra money to go to Khasab. It is a once in a lifetime experience. We also always use the travel agent inside the Gold Tulip Hotel to arrange everything for us. They are always very polite and helpful and their tours are great. They use mostly local Omani boat crews, local fishermen, who have a good local knowledge with many interesting stories to tell and can speak English reasonably well. The drive up to Khasab is also fabulous and well worth the trip. You will not be disappointed.
Latest post on 22 October 2014 - 11:15
What Belinda said, that's what we always do. The Golden Tulip has a small travel agent who will organise the boat trip for you. You can choose half or full day. The full day includes lunch on the boat.
Latest post on 22 October 2014 - 11:05
https://www.facebook.com/khasabbeachtour.oman?fref=ts You can just book the tour without transfer. There is a Golden Tullip Hotel in Khasab.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY