New to Dubai - flat and job hunting. | ExpatWoman.com

New to Dubai - flat and job hunting.

Latest post on 22 October 2014 - 13:36
Hello I just moved to Dubai with my husband who has just started working over here (I am on a visit visa as hoping to find my own job) So far it's been great - but my plan of magically finding a job, a flat and some friends whilst sitting about by the hotel pool hasn't worked so having to get more proactive... This website and forum has been really helpful and informative - and I was hoping someone could help me with some advice and recommendations on the following: Job hunting: I've contacted a few recruitment agents who have just referred me back to looking up specific roles on there webpage. What I was really looking for was a consultant who could spare me a little time to have chat about the job market over here. I know competition is fierce but I have a transferable skill set so would like some advice of which industry and types/level of role to focus on. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good recruitment consultant? Flat hunting: we are on quite a modest budget (at least until I find a job) and looking for somewhere close to a metro station. What's the best approach for finding flats - looking on websites like dubizzle or going through an estate agent? Does anyone have any recommendations for a good letting agent? It's a bit overwhelming knowing where to start so any help or advice appreciated! Thanks :-) Have a look on justrentals.com. I have found apartments via lanlords ( no agency fees) via Dubizzle however they are a lot to wade through. Just make sure that if you go through an agency then are registered with RERA and have the LL passport and title deeds for you to look at Tecom is a relatively affordable area and close to the Metro
Latest post on 22 October 2014 - 13:32
Recruitment agents work for clients. They will refer you to their website as all Consultants will advertise their roles there. It is very difficult for us to spend time with candidates especially if we do not have any suitable positions. In 2007-2008 clients would take unsolicited applications from candidates with transferable skills therefore it was much easier to source roles for candidates . Since 2009 they have stopped accepting these and we are only allowed to forward CVs of candidates who have exactly what they are looking for. With our workloads it is really difficult to meet/speak with candidates unless we have a suitable role for them as we are working on several other roles/attending client meetings and interviewing potential candidates. You have to keep at it. It can take several months however as you are in the country you have an advantage. Clients advertise a lot of their vacancies on their own sites now. Many use LinkedIn and Gulf Talent. Networking is key and you may find that you will find a role via someone you know Good Luck .
Latest post on 22 October 2014 - 13:28
Ooh one other thing I meant to ask was how much we could expect to pay for bills in a 1 or 2 bed apartment - would be useful to know so we can set a realistic budget. Thanks! I am in a one bed with district cooling paid for My DEWA costs no more than AED500 in the summer months and this includes the 5% for housing fee. I cant help with 2 bed sorry
Latest post on 22 October 2014 - 12:59
Try Pearl Executive Search - they are new, but having loads of positions coming up - http://www.pearlexecutivesearch.com/
Latest post on 22 October 2014 - 12:56
Ooh one other thing I meant to ask was how much we could expect to pay for bills in a 1 or 2 bed apartment - would be useful to know so we can set a realistic budget. Thanks!
Latest post on 22 October 2014 - 12:47
Hello I just moved to Dubai with my husband who has just started working over here (I am on a visit visa as hoping to find my own job) So far it's been great - but my plan of magically finding a job, a flat and some friends whilst sitting about by the hotel pool hasn't worked so having to get more proactive... This website and forum has been really helpful and informative - and I was hoping someone could help me with some advice and recommendations on the following: Job hunting: I've contacted a few recruitment agents who have just referred me back to looking up specific roles on there webpage. What I was really looking for was a consultant who could spare me a little time to have chat about the job market over here. I know competition is fierce but I have a transferable skill set so would like some advice of which industry and types/level of role to focus on. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good recruitment consultant? Flat hunting: we are on quite a modest budget (at least until I find a job) and looking for somewhere close to a metro station. What's the best approach for finding flats - looking on websites like dubizzle or going through an estate agent? Does anyone have any recommendations for a good letting agent? It's a bit overwhelming knowing where to start so any help or advice appreciated! Thanks :-)

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY