Where has the flexibility gone!!! | ExpatWoman.com

Where has the flexibility gone!!!

Latest post on 22 October 2014 - 15:22
Blimey... It's not a case of flexibility - i'm sure if your child had been ill and you'd given them a decent notice they'd have been happy to accommodate you, but they are running a business and a no-show is a no-show. I suggest you get yourself a diary and write all your appointments down as far ahead as you can..we find a magnetic white-board on the fridge works well.. school life can get very complicated with after school activities etc.. You could also encourage your son to remember which days he has what..
Latest post on 22 October 2014 - 14:47
Agree they could have been nicer, but to be fair to them the teacher was still there and shouldn't have to lose out just because you forgot. I wouldn't be happy to lose some of my salary because someone forgot to show up honest mistake or not.
Latest post on 22 October 2014 - 14:15
Sorry Cleopatra, I'm with the other posters. Maybe they could have said it a bit more nicely but they are probably completely fed up with children missing lessons with no notice given then their parents expecting them to be accommodated at another time. Even if it was an honest mistake it still doesn't mean the teacher should take any more of their time contacting you if a space comes up. It's not just here either, I know in my home country if you don't turn up to a swimming lesson with no notice you lose it, no make ups. I guess it's one of the incentives to try to ensure children turn up when they are meant to.
Latest post on 22 October 2014 - 13:25
Hi Cleopatra - I can see where you are coming from, but we live in a society where people don't care if they turn up at all or are on time for anything, and this goes for everyone (no particular nationality) and I personally think it is quite disgraceful, unfortunately that is why you were treated the way you were.
Latest post on 22 October 2014 - 13:23
There are both sides to the story but I'm guessing its what they said and the way they said it thats upsetting. Make up lessons are available but usually if you canceled your lesson in advance. :/
Latest post on 22 October 2014 - 13:20
Seriously??? Im sorry butI think it's YOUR mistake. They are not obliged to provide you with another lesson. They already have slots allocated for other kids who are organised to turn up. I cant believe you are complaining when you are the one who wasted the lesson time by not turning up. Honestly - some people in Dubai have such a sense of entitlement! I find it bizarre.....
Latest post on 22 October 2014 - 13:17
Sorry, let me get this straight. You wasted a swimming teacher's time and you expect her to make more time for you? Frankly, I'm not surprised they didn't offer you a different slot. It is very difficult for these teachers to make a living. They spend hours and hours of each day in the pool and get paid very little for their time. You gave no notice, missed you slot. Khalas. Honest mistake, you'll know better for next time. After all, if you can afford swimming lessons, you can afford to suck up the cost of missing one.
Latest post on 22 October 2014 - 12:58
Am really upset, I have muddled up my days and missed taking my DS to his swimming lesson. But what upsets me even more is that when I called the company and explained my mistake that they show no flexibility at all. All I asked was if they have a cancellation over the next week and I'm sure over half term there will be if we might be able to do a make up class. Rather than say "we will try but can't promise" it's straight away "sorry, it's your own fault, we can't do anything" and this is being said with a lot of malicious joy. Is it so difficult to at least be nice and try? After all it was an honest mistake :(

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY