Eye LASIK for getting rid of eye glasses | ExpatWoman.com

Eye LASIK for getting rid of eye glasses

Latest post on 22 October 2014 - 18:01

Hi looking for a referral for a good doctor to perform LASIK surgery so I can get rid of my eye glasses, been wearing them since forever and now wanna rid myself of this handicap. It sounds too good to be true. Anyone out there who has had great results with a doc in Dubai

Latest post on 21 December 2015 - 12:49
I would say to try Spanish Center Dubai, I find them nice, they offered us Free checkup and also gave us discount over IntraLASIK HD..
Latest post on 25 October 2014 - 16:49
Hi looking for a referral for a good doctor to perform LASIK surgery so I can get rid of my eye glasses, been wearing them since forever and now wanna rid myself of this handicap. It sounds too good to be true. Anyone out there who has had great results with a doc in Dubai I had this done 15 years ago (not in Dubai) and still very happy with the results. The procedure only took 5 minutes and 4 days for recovery. I wore contacts for more than 20 years, and having LASIK was the best decision I made.
Latest post on 23 October 2014 - 21:17
I am so scared to do this. Has anyone done Ortho-K? The lenses you wear at night that correct your vision during the day??
Latest post on 23 October 2014 - 20:56
If it is for near sightedness, I suggest before going for surgery, have a look at Bates method. Eyeglasses actually make vision even worse in case of nearsightedness.
Latest post on 23 October 2014 - 16:08
Hi Enigma I can't speak for what it's like here, but I had LASIK in UK 14 years ago when it was still relatively new. Both eyes at the same to correct a quite severe astigmatism. It was the best thing I ever did and if the procedure needed to be repeated every couple of years I would, because it freed me from that world of glasses. I know at least 15 people now who have had this done and not one has had any problems. Definitely quite scary, but what procedure isn't ! And no pain at all. Whilst I haven't any experience of the clinics here, I have met Millicent Grim on a number of occasions and based on her the small amount I know of her from our conversations I would have no hesitation in going to her for treatment.
Latest post on 23 October 2014 - 15:43
I had LASEK/PRK (in the UK not here) and fully recommend it, with LASEK they don't cut a flap in the surface of your eye so there is no risk of it detaching after the procedure. Your eyes feel gritty for a few days after but it worked a treat.
Latest post on 23 October 2014 - 15:36
[i'>Ok very scared now after reading Artemis article. [/i'> Enigma, it wasn't my intention to scare you, but I think you should be aware that negative side effects like dry eye can be caused by laser surgery. You are unlikely to be adequately informed of this by someone trying to sell you a procedure. This is why it's really important to have a consultation with a reputable ophthalmologist as to your suitability for surgery, I'd recommend Dr Safar, he's at the American Hospital. I decided it wasn't worth it because I'm pretty happy with my daily disposable lenses and I didn't want to run the risk of dry eye, so the risks outweighed the benefits for me, but only you can make that decision, just make sure you do plenty of research, just as you would before having any surgery. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
Latest post on 23 October 2014 - 14:32
Another vote for British Lasik! I had mine done there four years ago and it was a painless procedure that took less than 5 minutes. The worst part is when the anaesthetic wears off and your eyes start tearing like crazy. There is a bit of pain, but mostly discomfort really. You have to sleep with sunglasses (which they provide) on that night because the place where they make the incision needs to heal overnight. So its really to prevent you from accidentally rubbing your eyes or brushing against your pillow, etc. You need to follow the instructions they give you to the letter and you'll be up and about the next day. I was back at work 2 days after the surgery, and I could see much better almost immediately after it was done. Good luck with your decision. For me, it was one of the best things I did after living with glasses for 30+ years!
Latest post on 23 October 2014 - 14:01
Enigma, I know it is very scary, I was freaking out before the surgery? and I have 4 or 5 friends who felt the same before they had their eyes done but I can tell you that it is one of the best thinks I be done!if you don't mind my advise for you would be to just go for a consultation( at the place you wish to, coz I don't want anyone to say that I m doing advertising for some place), have your eyes checked , speak to the dr about the procedure suitable for your eyes and then decide, no one ever can push you to do smth you don't want to!But I just have some tips for you if you don't mind?: - go for a reputable clinic specialized in LASIK which it has the possibility of offering you latest technologies -make sure you feel comfortable with the dr -make sure that you can the dr for most of the follow- ups coz in some clinics here ( this is from my experience and my personal opinion) the dr is doing the procedures and you won't see him anymore ? I hope this helps you and I m just letting you know all this things coz I went through the same questions as you do and I had some friends encouraging me but at the end of the day it is only your decision , nobody else's! Cheers!
Latest post on 23 October 2014 - 11:19
I haven't posted that much on this forum either, can recommend Atlanta, take a look at [url=http://mylasikdiary.wordpress.com'>Atlanta Clinic[/url'>. And no I don't work for them. <em>edited by Goku on 23/10/2014</em>
Latest post on 23 October 2014 - 11:13
Ok very scared now after reading Artemis article. Honestly have lived so long with them that they don't bother me too much but still just wanted to have the feeling of being able to see the time upon getting up and just not having something sitting on my nose all the time. I do wear lenses occasionally but that's not the same.
Latest post on 23 October 2014 - 10:55
I m sorry to hear that Amelia, hope you are well! I understand your point but just to let you know I have a few posts because I m new on the expat women , having 2 small kids at home it is a real full time job ???! This being said, I know there are a few places in Dubai offering the LASIK procedure but I think it is up to each individual to choose the place they like the most and they feel comfortable with !
Latest post on 23 October 2014 - 10:51
No, I do not work for The British Lasik I was just giving my honest feedback being a customer at that clinic for the last few months ! Do you work for Atlanta Vision? It was my DD who went to Atlanta, not me. [b'>Being 70 years of age and having recently had a heart attack - no I don't work for them!! [/b'> If you do not work there, I apologise. However, when two people with a small number of posts recommend somewhere, I'm afraid many people, rightly or wrongly, will assume that they are in some way connected with the place. Amelia, I am sorry to hear this, hope you are well now and looking after yourself. Thank you Alismum. It was totally out of the blue and a shock when it happened, but I am fine now, and hopefully will be for a good few years yet!
Latest post on 23 October 2014 - 10:42
No, I do not work for The British Lasik I was just giving my honest feedback being a customer at that clinic for the last few months ! Do you work for Atlanta Vision? It was my DD who went to Atlanta, not me. [b'>Being 70 years of age and having recently had a heart attack - no I don't work for them!! [/b'> If you do not work there, I apologise. However, when two people with a small number of posts recommend somewhere, I'm afraid many people, rightly or wrongly, will assume that they are in some way connected with the place. Amelia, I am sorry to hear this, hope you are well now and looking after yourself.
Latest post on 23 October 2014 - 10:39
My husband just had LASIK with Millicent Grimm at the Gulf Eye Centre and she has been really good. Everything has been explained to him every step of the way and he's felt really looked after. It was about 11K for both eyes including all the appointments leading up and afterwards for a year. She'd been recommended to him by a few people who have all been very happy.
Latest post on 23 October 2014 - 10:37
No, I do not work for The British Lasik I was just giving my honest feedback being a customer at that clinic for the last few months ! Do you work for Atlanta Vision? It was my DD who went to Atlanta, not me. Being 70 years of age and having recently had a heart attack - no I don't work for them!! If you do not work there, I apologise. However, when two people with a small number of posts recommend somewhere, I'm afraid many people, rightly or wrongly, will assume that they are in some way connected with the place.
Latest post on 23 October 2014 - 10:30
Two of my colleagues used Moorfields and were very happy
Latest post on 23 October 2014 - 10:27
No, I do not work for The British Lasik I was just giving my honest feedback being a customer at that clinic for the last few months ! Do you work for Atlanta Vision?
Latest post on 23 October 2014 - 09:01
I also had mine done like 6 years back at British Lasik Center in Jumeirah so as DH and 3 of his friends. I had to do 1 eye twice though as it was not fixed from the 1st time.
Latest post on 23 October 2014 - 09:00
[i'>sounds too good to be true[/i'> Enigma, as I've no doubt you're aware, things that sound too good generally require extreme caution. Have you any idea about the potential side effects? Like you, I was considering this, but I decided against it because I was warned that there could be negative consequences which would be irreversible. If you have a tendency towards dry eye, this surgery might dramatically exacerbate that existing condition. Or cause it in those with no experience of dry eye. Do plenty of research before you go ahead, Dr Safar in the American Hospital is very good, I would strongly advise you have plenty of consultations before going ahead. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2777061/Blinded-High-Street-More-women-enticed-cheap-deals-laser-eye-surgery-But-say-s-left-agony-struggling-see.html
Latest post on 23 October 2014 - 08:38
My DD had hers done at Atlanta Vision and has no complaints. Just wondering zizia and Bugy - do you work for British Lasik?
Latest post on 23 October 2014 - 07:18
Moorfields are great and I would definitely recommend their services. The before and after care is just amazing and no question is too stupid. I was very very worried when I had mine done and all in all took me about 2 years to bring up the courage. The Ophthalmologist however completely understood and did not pressurize me. He was also the first one to discover that I struggle with an allergy in my eyes which many doctors in the UK and UAE had always overlooked. So I'm doubly happy now as that issue was treated too.
Latest post on 23 October 2014 - 06:48
From what I know being a good candidate for LASIK doesn't depends only of you prescription but the cornea thickness as well but I think the doctor himself will let you know about all other detailes and the kind of procedure is most suitable for you!
Latest post on 22 October 2014 - 22:40
I think depends of you prescription and what technology you choose to go for. When I did they give me two options, 11.000 for lasik, and 14.000 for Intra Lasik. Anyway, you should go for a consultation, they have it complimentary.
Latest post on 22 October 2014 - 22:25
Hey thanks all for your replies. @appletiser ,yes I am nearsighted and do have a 2+ so I guess I should be a good candidate. Good to hear about British LASIK , any idea of the charges for the corrective surgery of both eyes? <em>edited by Enigma1979 on 22/10/2014</em>
Latest post on 22 October 2014 - 22:14
I totally agree with zizia. The British Lasik & Cosmetic Surgery Center it's a good place to have lasik done. They have very good doctors. I had the Intra lasik done there, with Dr. Ahmed Motasam. I'm also a patient of Dr. Eiad (dentist) in that center.
Latest post on 22 October 2014 - 21:06
Defenetly I will say go at The British Lasik on Jumeirah Road, I have done my lasik there a couple of months back and my friend did it last week, we are Both very happy with The results and the doctor is just amazing, one of the most experienced eye clinic in the region!They have a complimentary consultation for Lasik so in case you are not a good cantitate for lasik they wont take any money from you!?
Latest post on 22 October 2014 - 20:51
Lasik is for nearsighted people with lenses of 2+ or more. If you are farsighted then Lasik wont do much difference. I have two family members who were nearsighted and they both went for Lasik many years ago. Their procedure was a success and they still see great.
Latest post on 22 October 2014 - 20:42
Go to Moorfield. Had a positively great experience with the Ophthalmologist there and don't think I've said that about any doctor here so far.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY