Hiring a maid from abroad or from dubai? | ExpatWoman.com

Hiring a maid from abroad or from dubai?

Latest post on 22 October 2014 - 18:26

What do you think is best? From your experience? I had a terrible experience hiring someone from here before and very worried to try again....She was lazy and very demanding...( and yes she was paid well with a day off and not a very big work load)
What is your opinion?

Latest post on 23 October 2014 - 10:18
But as far as I can see they are true Muslims. They pray, fast, don't drink or smoke etc. One of them has a daughter who went to school in Sharjah and was constantly picked on because her mum was not wearing hijab. ? Never underestimate the extent to which people can be judgmental to hide their own insecurities. There are women who start wearing the Hijab and start labeling anyone who does not wear it, with awful labels
Latest post on 23 October 2014 - 10:14
I apply this standard to maids only. I think that one line says so much. Yes, it does and I gave you a thumbs up, Lolacat...
Latest post on 23 October 2014 - 10:12
I apply this standard to maids only. I think that one line says so much.
Latest post on 23 October 2014 - 10:08
I apply this standard to maids only and no to your second question. The way I see it is that the women who apply to work as maids in the GCC know that they are most likely going to work for a Muslim family where many of the women wear niqabs and/or headscarves. If a Muslim woman is showing herself to refuse the cultural norm from the beginning, that could spell trouble for the future... As for mocking a woman who doesn't wear hijab, it goes both ways... <em>edited by AnonDubai on 23/10/2014</em>
Latest post on 23 October 2014 - 09:57
To answer the question regarding hijab: I think that a Muslim maid who does not wear hijab in her CV picture is showing a lack of desire to conform and I am not interested in a non-conformist maid in my household.... Anon, again out of interest, not picking a fight, but do you apply that standard to maids only, or to Muslims in general? And do you consider a non-conformist (as in not wearing a hijab) to not be a true Muslim? I'm asking because I have quite a few Muslim friends not wearing hijab. But as far as I can see they are true Muslims. They pray, fast, don't drink or smoke etc. One of them has a daughter who went to school in Sharjah and was constantly picked on because her mum was not wearing hijab. Surely that can't be right?
Latest post on 23 October 2014 - 09:51
Oriental Labor supplies Services Old ministry of labour building, office # 312 Abu Hail Deira Dubai UAE 0569824253 | 0569824253 | 042208844 Website / Chat: www.ocs.ae/maids Facebook: www.facebook.com/oriental.labor.supply I have not used this agency before but I have been checking out their CVs recently... <em>edited by AnonDubai on 23/10/2014</em>
Latest post on 23 October 2014 - 09:42
The following is only my opinion. When I am looking to hire a maid from an agency, these are the characteristics I look for: 30s with Gulf experience but not UAE (2 years or more). I don't care about religion or nationality because you can get good and bad in all of that. I just find that someone who is a bit more mature and who has worked before in the GCC will be a better fit in my household. Some of the maid CVs that I have seen recently are quite surprising. Some of them are dressed very unmaidlike and that turns me off. I also would not hire a Muslim who is not wearing hijab. What agency are you using? Also, why wouldn't you hire a muslim who is not wearing hijab? I have been looking at CVs from the agency that Umm Muhammed has been recommending... Thank you for answering. Can you please recommend an agency? I don't know which Umm Muhammed recommended.
Latest post on 23 October 2014 - 09:37
I hire through agencies with no experience , I prefer young & not married, when I look into cvs I try to find someone who is a bit on the smaller side as I have a small frame & I don't like to have a maid who's double my size. I stick to the min salary for 6 months then I give a reasonable raise. When you hire through an agency you have to be careful of "take me back to agency I don't like it here", they can make up stories to go back to the agency & some agencies teach them to say so to move them to another house & get the fee twice while leaving you to wait for replacement, it happened to us twice. The 1st time we returned her to agency, the second time I told the maid that I don't care about the money we paid to the agency & if she doesn't like it, I'm happy to send her back home & I explained to her that she will get a ban. She then confessed that the agency taught her to do so as they promised to move her to another employer immediately with some extras. I interview the maid over the phone & I set up the rules, when she arrives I talk to her infront of the agent about the rules & I make sure she agrees on them again there. I don't hire Muslims as Ramadan is exhausting for us, I need extra help during Ramadan & I don't feel comfy to ask a fasting maid to do the extra work during that month. I don't hire locally as many have attitude & are very demanding, I don't keep a maid over 2 yrs, I prefer to get a new one. I don't work so I manage the house, the maid is only responsible of house work, no babysitting or cooking.
Latest post on 23 October 2014 - 08:54
Thanks a lot!!
Latest post on 23 October 2014 - 08:53
NATIONALITY SPONSOR FEES/CHARGES(AED) SALARY OF HOUSEMAID, AED (Min) PROCESSING DAYS INDONESIA 17500 1200 40-45 days SRI LANKAN 14000 1000 25-30 days TANZANIAN 8000 1000 15-20 days Kenya 8000 900 15-20 days Pakistani-Driver 5500 2000 15 days Indian-Driver 5500 2500 15 days House boy /Cooker Pakistan/India 6000 1100 15 days Vietnamese(new) 13000 1300 20 days Vietnamese (with experience) 15000 1500-1700 20 days I cut and copied this for you. This is from the email they sent me....
Latest post on 23 October 2014 - 08:49
AnonDubai, have they told you how long it takes to get someone over here?
Latest post on 23 October 2014 - 08:43
The following is only my opinion. When I am looking to hire a maid from an agency, these are the characteristics I look for: 30s with Gulf experience but not UAE (2 years or more). I don't care about religion or nationality because you can get good and bad in all of that. I just find that someone who is a bit more mature and who has worked before in the GCC will be a better fit in my household. Some of the maid CVs that I have seen recently are quite surprising. Some of them are dressed very unmaidlike and that turns me off. I also would not hire a Muslim who is not wearing hijab. What agency are you using? Also, why wouldn't you hire a muslim who is not wearing hijab? I have been looking at CVs from the agency that Umm Muhammed has been recommending...
Latest post on 23 October 2014 - 08:32
[OP, I think it doesn't matter wether you hire directly from abroad or Dubai. You have god and bad in both. It's the click that matters and wether or not you feel comfortable with her in your house.'> True there is good and bad in Dubai or from abroad. But I feel there is more trouble when the maids have been here for a while...just my opinion... <em>edited by lifeisbeautiful on 23/10/2014</em>
Latest post on 23 October 2014 - 08:16
To answer the question regarding hijab: I think that a Muslim maid who does not wear hijab in her CV picture is showing a lack of desire to conform and I am not interested in a non-conformist maid in my household....
Latest post on 23 October 2014 - 07:44
The following is only my opinion. When I am looking to hire a maid from an agency, these are the characteristics I look for: 30s with Gulf experience but not UAE (2 years or more). I don't care about religion or nationality because you can get good and bad in all of that. I just find that someone who is a bit more mature and who has worked before in the GCC will be a better fit in my household. Some of the maid CVs that I have seen recently are quite surprising. Some of them are dressed very unmaidlike and that turns me off. I also would not hire a Muslim who is not wearing hijab. Just out if interest, if you don't care about religion why does it matter if a Muslim is wearing hijab or not? OP, I think it doesn't matter wether you hire directly from abroad or Dubai. You have god and bad in both. It's the click that matters and wether or not you feel comfortable with her in your house.
Latest post on 23 October 2014 - 07:01
The following is only my opinion. When I am looking to hire a maid from an agency, these are the characteristics I look for: 30s with Gulf experience but not UAE (2 years or more). I don't care about religion or nationality because you can get good and bad in all of that. I just find that someone who is a bit more mature and who has worked before in the GCC will be a better fit in my household. Some of the maid CVs that I have seen recently are quite surprising. Some of them are dressed very unmaidlike and that turns me off. I also would not hire a Muslim who is not wearing hijab. What agency are you using? Also, why wouldn't you hire a muslim who is not wearing hijab?
Latest post on 22 October 2014 - 20:41
The following is only my opinion. When I am looking to hire a maid from an agency, these are the characteristics I look for: 30s with Gulf experience but not UAE (2 years or more). I don't care about religion or nationality because you can get good and bad in all of that. I just find that someone who is a bit more mature and who has worked before in the GCC will be a better fit in my household. Some of the maid CVs that I have seen recently are quite surprising. Some of them are dressed very unmaidlike and that turns me off. I also would not hire a Muslim who is not wearing hijab.
Latest post on 22 October 2014 - 20:23
Dear Ummuhammad123, I have to admit i feel the same way as you... I absolutely don't want someone to take over my house, I cannot stand bad attitude...I prefer someone with a quiet personality who keeps to herself. I'm a SAHM, i have a quiet life, no crazy parties just very active kids and an extra pair of hands would be welcomed.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY