Landlord not paying back our deposit | ExpatWoman.com

Landlord not paying back our deposit

Latest post on 24 October 2014 - 23:32

We recently had to leave Dubai. The landlord was out of the country so his wife came to see us and check the villa over before we left. She agreed everything was in order and said she would have to wait until her husband returned to refund our deposit. We are now back in the UK and the landlord hasn't given us our deposit back and is not responding to any of our emails. Where do we stand? Obviously we are not in the country so can't go to RERA. We desperately need this money.

Latest post on 28 October 2014 - 15:50
Hi, maybe try to check out http://propertyrights.ae/ or http://knowyourrights.dubizzle.com/ in case they can give any tips on how to solve this. I think it's worthwhile writing to both...
Latest post on 28 October 2014 - 09:18
Agents get lazy and greedy over time. Try to interest him/her with remuneration, say 1000Dhs if you get our deposit back, you might be surprised how active he/she can get.
Latest post on 27 October 2014 - 00:02
Thank you for the responses. We did go through an agent but he's not responding to any of our emails/calls either. The landlord is Iraqi and the deposit was AED10000. What really annoys me is that we spent a lot of money landscaping the garden and maintaining the property, all money that will only benefit him. Grrrr so cross but I guess you live and learn. (Wish we'd trashed the place now)
Latest post on 25 October 2014 - 09:43
Very sorry to hear this, but it's unfortunately common for LLs to keep deposits for no reason other than greed. [b'>One typical way to try and ensure you get your money back is to change the locks and refuse to hand over the keys until you've been paid,[/b'> but obviously that doesn't help you. Where do you stand? I hate to have to tell you this, but now that you've handed the property back and left the country you have no leverage at all. If you know anyone still in Dubai willing to chase up the LL you could try that route, but you're entirely reliant on the LL choosing to play fair, and by the sounds of things he doesn't want to. edited by Madge_Gustard on 25/10/2014 But Madge, the LL could just get a locksmith to change the locks again. I knew someone who locked himself out of his flat, when he came back from holiday he had no keys and had to get the locksmith to sort him out. Cost him a couple hundred. OP so sorry to hear this. Was an Estate Agent involved in your rental? Did they witness the signing of your contract? You could try contacting them.
Latest post on 25 October 2014 - 01:30
Very sorry to hear this, but it's unfortunately common for LLs to keep deposits for no reason other than greed. One typical way to try and ensure you get your money back is to change the locks and refuse to hand over the keys until you've been paid, but obviously that doesn't help you. Where do you stand? I hate to have to tell you this, but now that you've handed the property back and left the country you have no leverage at all. If you know anyone still in Dubai willing to chase up the LL you could try that route, but you're entirely reliant on the LL choosing to play fair, and by the sounds of things he doesn't want to. <em>edited by Madge_Gustard on 25/10/2014</em>
Latest post on 24 October 2014 - 23:37
Sorry to hear to that - If you have any friends in Dubai, they should pay him a visit. How mush was the deposit if I may ask? where is the landlord from ?

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY