is a 2 bedroom house mandatory to sponsor a maid visa? | ExpatWoman.com

is a 2 bedroom house mandatory to sponsor a maid visa?

Latest post on 25 October 2014 - 16:06

Ladies,

We are a small family of 3 members and we live in a 1 bedroom home.

I have recently found a job. So I got into the process of hiring a full time maid to take care of my kid and household chores. The visa rules state that tenancy contract should show atleast a 2 bedroom accommodation to sponsor a maid visa.

Shifting our home now is not a viable option. Can somebody please tell me if it is possible to sponsor a maid in a 1 bedroom house? Our house is big enough and the maid will have a private area and a bathroom for herself.

Or is it possible to offer a live out allowance for the maid and leave the accomodation to her choice?

I am in a fix now and am badly looking for an advice. Please guide me. I do not want to do anything illegal.

Latest post on 26 October 2014 - 15:16
So treat humans worse than animals just cos they are poor and in a place where you can abuse them? Exactly. So much exploitation happens here, and then the old, tired saying "well it was better than what they had back home." Oh, then that makes it okay to underpay and overwork people, because in their home country, things are much worse.
Latest post on 26 October 2014 - 14:42
I think many of us would be surprised at how the employees at the businesses we patronize are housed here...
Latest post on 26 October 2014 - 14:39
The UAE is the only country in the middle east that requires this ... other places like Jordan you can just stick them in the corridor or kitchen. Doesn't stop it happening. I once viewed a house where the maids room had been extended and turned in a guest room and the maid was in the laundry cupboard on a sleeping platform built above the washing machine and dryer :( and i bet they said they treated her like family... I got the distinct impression that she should think herself lucky as they had extra ventilation put in for her comfort.
Latest post on 26 October 2014 - 14:29
So treat humans worse than animals just cos they are poor and in a place where you can abuse them?
Latest post on 26 October 2014 - 14:11
The UAE is the only country in the middle east that requires this ... other places like Jordan you can just stick them in the corridor or kitchen. Doesn't stop it happening. I once viewed a house where the maids room had been extended and turned in a guest room and the maid was in the laundry cupboard on a sleeping platform built above the washing machine and dryer :( and i bet they said they treated her like family... Think of all the starving, homeless, unemployed people around the world. They'd be happy to trade for this woman's cupboard ...
Latest post on 26 October 2014 - 14:06
The UAE is the only country in the middle east that requires this ... other places like Jordan you can just stick them in the corridor or kitchen. Doesn't stop it happening. I once viewed a house where the maids room had been extended and turned in a guest room and the maid was in the laundry cupboard on a sleeping platform built above the washing machine and dryer :( and i bet they said they treated her like family...
Latest post on 26 October 2014 - 14:05
The UAE is the only country in the middle east that requires this ... other places like Jordan you can just stick them in the corridor or kitchen. Doesn't stop it happening. I once viewed a house where the maids room had been extended and turned in a guest room and the maid was in the laundry cupboard on a sleeping platform built above the washing machine and dryer :( There is a family of 7 plus maid in a 2 bed in my building I have visions of them all sleeping a la navy style. 6 bunks to a room!
Latest post on 26 October 2014 - 14:00
The UAE is the only country in the middle east that requires this ... other places like Jordan you can just stick them in the corridor or kitchen. Doesn't stop it happening. I once viewed a house where the maids room had been extended and turned in a guest room and the maid was in the laundry cupboard on a sleeping platform built above the washing machine and dryer :(
Latest post on 26 October 2014 - 08:09
The UAE is the only country in the middle east that requires this ... other places like Jordan you can just stick them in the corridor or kitchen.
Latest post on 26 October 2014 - 08:06
Hi OP, I've been in the same situation as you - we have a lovely big 1 BR and it's me DH and 2 year old DD, and DH and I both work and DD is in nursery. I would love to have a full time live-in maid but you definitely need to have a 2BR stated on your contract, even if your 1BR is as big as a 2BR they dont care, it needs to be listed as a 2 BR on your contract. Anyways, I wonder where she would sleep, I would want to give her her own space, cupboard and personal toilet to use, even if you have a big house you can't expect her to sleep on a mattress in the middle of the house. As for the live out option, we looked at that but you would need to show you have rented her a studio at least and the rents for those even in less expensive areas like Karama and Satwa start from 40,000 which is another added expense to take on. A lot of people in those areas do share accomodation to save rent money, but that is illegal so you cannot show that when you go to the authorities! I also would not go down the illegal live out route, such as maids on their husbands visa, since that is illegal (though a lot of people do it). If you plan on leaving her with your child you need to have some control over her, plus if she runs away with your money or something, you cant even take it to the police. I contacted agenies like Howdra and Explorer (they sponsor the maid, you pay 3000-4000dhs montly for a live in), but they required a 2 BR too. After all my research, we thought it best to move to a 2BR + maids, you'll just have to wait till your tenancy contract expires. For now, I have maid agency come in few times a week (Molly Maid they take 35dhs per hour) to do cleaning and ironing, and I dont have time to cook so we order out most nights. You could try that till you can move houses, though its not ideal it works for us! Good luck
Latest post on 25 October 2014 - 17:16
OP the bottom line is if you don't have an EJARI and a contract that states 2 bed, you will not be able to sponsor a live in maid. It doesn't matter that your house is physically able to fit 4 people in it, if its only legally a 1 bed, then the authorities will not accept this. I wouldn't waste your time pursuing this route further - as other posters suggested you need to look at live out options although I am not sure how the sponsorship works for this. Or move house.
Latest post on 25 October 2014 - 17:11
Yes. 2 corridors! Believe me. Our house is big enough to fit 4 people comfortably. But when I goto submit the maid visa application, will they accept this? My concern is, will they raise an issue? Have anyone face a similar problem before? Were the authorities concerned convinced when we explain this to them?
Latest post on 25 October 2014 - 17:06
Those I know with live outs did not find the accommodation, the helpers found it themselves. If yout advertise for a live out, do so and ask where they will live, I think you will find they have an answer.
Latest post on 25 October 2014 - 17:05
Not a bedroom exactly. But there is a space between the kitchen and bedroom. The space is big enough to accommodate a single bed and there is a washroom adjecent to it. This space is private and she can have all for herself. Now when I goto submit the visa processing documents, will they accept this? Please let me know. A corridor then?
Latest post on 25 October 2014 - 16:51
Thankyou Londiamond. Is anyone aware how to process visa for a live out maid? I find very less information available on this. Can I just pay the live out allowance and leave the accomodation to her choice? Or should I also make the live out arrangements for her?
Latest post on 25 October 2014 - 16:43
I think live out is the only option. While having her live in the closet is easier and cheaper, it does not constitute as a bedroom for visa applications. Id not hire a helper on her own visa. It is so very illegal. And you will leave her with your child. In the event of anything happening, you do not want that on your head. I think live outs are still inexpensive - possibly 2500 or a Phill. one. Or add 1K to the wage as allowance - this is the rate I have seen. <em>edited by Londiamond on 25/10/2014</em>
Latest post on 25 October 2014 - 16:37
Not a bedroom exactly. But there is a space between the kitchen and bedroom. The space is big enough to accommodate a single bed and there is a washroom adjecent to it. This space is private and she can have all for herself. Now when I goto submit the visa processing documents, will they accept this? Please let me know.
Latest post on 25 October 2014 - 16:29
Will the maid have her own bedroom?
Latest post on 25 October 2014 - 16:27
There are lots of maids looking for work that are on their own visas and have their own accommodations. They just come in the morning to your place and leave in the evening. Plenty of people in Dubai do it as there is no other childcare options in this country. It is deemed as an 'illegal' option but I can tell you half of the maids in Motorcity and Sport city are acquired this way...

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY