Going to the cinema by yourself? | ExpatWoman.com

Going to the cinema by yourself?

Latest post on 29 October 2014 - 15:11

Never done it but would love to have the guts to do it...
Do you go by yourself? Is it awkward??

Latest post on 03 November 2014 - 00:17
I was harassed so badly when I went to the cinema on my own, I had to leave half way through the movie. I don't think I ever will again. Maybe it depends on the cinema you go to. I went to the Arabian Centre. Did you report the harassment to the staff? I have never been harassed when I have gone... though I never went to the Arabian Center one.
Latest post on 02 November 2014 - 19:54
Hi, I use to go to the cinema by myself and absolutely love it! I go in the morning or lunch time at Dubai mall cinemas. Never had a problem, no harassment issues, the ladies working there use to pass by the corridors many Times during the movie. My only problem here in Dubai is the Lack of nice movies,of course, only thrillers and action most of the time which makes me give up with it..
Latest post on 02 November 2014 - 19:06
I was harassed so badly when I went to the cinema on my own, I had to leave half way through the movie. I don't think I ever will again. Maybe it depends on the cinema you go to. I went to the Arabian Centre.
Latest post on 02 November 2014 - 16:27
I plan on seeing Gone Girl sometime this week. I am sure I will be alone there as no one else who must have left it so late to watch that movie... Brilliant book and movie. I have gone alone several times and never been accosted by strange people. You will be fine :-)
Latest post on 02 November 2014 - 16:05
I plan on seeing Gone Girl sometime this week. I am sure I will be alone there as no one else who must have left it so late to watch that movie...
Latest post on 02 November 2014 - 14:58
I can't remember the last time I chose to go to a film that I wanted to watch rather than something for the kids. I feel inspired!
Latest post on 02 November 2014 - 11:10
This thread has given me a huge push - towards the nearest cinema screen. What show/ time would you ladies recommend, to avoid the possibility of any lurkers/psychos/creepy guys? I ask because, if you are completely alone, and there is even one nutter around, thats too many, isnt it! Has anyone ever encountered a problem, and any advise if something wierd happens? We should make a blind date, all the EW ladies, and turn up at the cinema at the appointed time. But no intros/ numbers/ chatting etc just watch the movie 'together' and disperse afterwards - can discuss the movie on here later, lol. First showings on a Friday morning! Always super quiet.
Latest post on 01 November 2014 - 23:26
This thread has given me a huge push - towards the nearest cinema screen. What show/ time would you ladies recommend, to avoid the possibility of any lurkers/psychos/creepy guys? I ask because, if you are completely alone, and there is even one nutter around, thats too many, isnt it! Has anyone ever encountered a problem, and any advise if something wierd happens? We should make a blind date, all the EW ladies, and turn up at the cinema at the appointed time. But no intros/ numbers/ chatting etc just watch the movie 'together' and disperse afterwards - can discuss the movie on here later, lol.Redrec, I would join you! Daytime shows are most convenient for me as kids are safely away at school lol.
Latest post on 01 November 2014 - 17:09
He he he I am glad to see so many others saying they go alone. ..I go by myself sometimes too :D
Latest post on 01 November 2014 - 13:52
I haven't done it for years but I used to love going to the cinema by myself. Happily enconsed in my own little world, it's proper time out and feels very indulgent. This thread has made me feel like going alone again, gold class for double indulgence!
Latest post on 01 November 2014 - 13:22
This thread has made me feel better about myself :) I've been going to the cinema alone since I moved to Dubai as sometimes coordinating with people is so tiring you end up missing the movie !! It's not awkward at all and I quite enjoy the experience !!!
Latest post on 01 November 2014 - 13:12
This thread has given me a huge push - towards the nearest cinema screen. What show/ time would you ladies recommend, to avoid the possibility of any lurkers/psychos/creepy guys? I ask because, if you are completely alone, and there is even one nutter around, thats too many, isnt it! Has anyone ever encountered a problem, and any advise if something wierd happens? We should make a blind date, all the EW ladies, and turn up at the cinema at the appointed time. But no intros/ numbers/ chatting etc just watch the movie 'together' and disperse afterwards - can discuss the movie on here later, lol. That's a lovely idea; us be up for that! I used to go to the theatre a lot on my own in London, especially the afternoon matinees. I was lazy about the cinema though, and would usually download and watch at home.
Latest post on 31 October 2014 - 23:58
This thread has given me a huge push - towards the nearest cinema screen. What show/ time would you ladies recommend, to avoid the possibility of any lurkers/psychos/creepy guys? I ask because, if you are completely alone, and there is even one nutter around, thats too many, isnt it! Has anyone ever encountered a problem, and any advise if something wierd happens? We should make a blind date, all the EW ladies, and turn up at the cinema at the appointed time. But no intros/ numbers/ chatting etc just watch the movie 'together' and disperse afterwards - can discuss the movie on here later, lol.
Latest post on 31 October 2014 - 23:38
I go on my own during day if not working and kids at school. It's fab and no one notices. Was slightly freaked once though when in a theatre alone and a guy came in and sat two seats away from me. Only two of us in cinema and he sat virtually next to me. Quick visit to to the loo and different seat ..no problem
Latest post on 30 October 2014 - 15:43
Cinema/Theatre its awesome going own your own. No need to worry about if someone else is enjoying the movie or show you've picked. Go for it !
Latest post on 30 October 2014 - 14:10
Absolutely not awkward. I did it few times when DS was at school, DH was on business trip. It was morning shows though with almost nobody around
Latest post on 29 October 2014 - 17:12
Just remember - we come into the world alone (more or less!) and go out of the world alone - so we should be able to go to the cinema alone too!
Latest post on 29 October 2014 - 16:54
Rather than miss a film I really want to see I go alone. I go in the morning when its really quiet-bliss! I had the entire theatre to myself when I watched Maze Runner. Looking forward to seeing the next Hunger Games next month too. TBH I cannot recall ever going to the cinema back home alone. But I really like it:-)
Latest post on 29 October 2014 - 16:12
I always go alone! I like pictures and like to relax and watch, not chat about the developing storyline or the affect of the previous scene, as was the case when I went with someone last... in 1999! People may have changed since then, LOL however, the cinema is now a place I visit with only myself. Not awkward at all. Enjoyable!
Latest post on 29 October 2014 - 15:46
I used to think it would be awkward until I recently started going by myself. Let me tell you that it is far from awkward and as ROSIE said no one can tell you're alone anyway. I quite enjoy it and also quite enjoy the ability to choose whatever movie I want to see instead of having to agree on a movie with others. Go for it!
Latest post on 29 October 2014 - 15:40
I used to love going to the cinema by myself. No issues at all.
Latest post on 29 October 2014 - 15:31
Treat yourself and go to the VIP one at Dubai mall Reclining big seat blanket and waiter service. Its bliss!
Latest post on 29 October 2014 - 15:29
Never done it but would love to have the guts to do it... Do you go by yourself? Is it awkward?? Nope, I used to go all the time when I was on my own here. You have your jumbo cola and caramel popcorn to keep you company, what else do you need. It's dark and no one even will notice you anyway.
Latest post on 29 October 2014 - 15:14
Why to be awkward!! I go to a restaurant, coffee place, cinema by myself without any issues. No matter if I'm here or anywhere else in the world. So, go for it!!
Latest post on 29 October 2014 - 15:13
Never done it but would love to have the guts to do it... Do you go by yourself? Is it awkward?? Not at all!

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY