Landlord and maintenence costs | ExpatWoman.com

Landlord and maintenence costs

Latest post on 30 October 2014 - 10:47

Hi, we moved in recently to our villa, we had to find somewhere quick as we ran out of time moving out of our old place, and found there was a nice villa going for a 6 month lease (to give us some more villa hunting time) at a really good price, we got the price down a bit to something that seemed decent for only 6 months, but when we moved in didn't realise so much maintenance needed fixing; the tap outside had been stolen so we replaced it, we ran out of water on day 3 and realised the pump in the garden had been broken all along not allowing water to come through so we had actually used up the last of the water in the tank!, paid for this to be fixed too, there was also a dewa bill leftover form previous tenant, washing machine had parts/ pumps missing we had to buy and then pay for it to be fixed up. All in all of course it didn't cost us the earth but it cost a fair little amount for us to fix this, and it's mainly principle really that we moved in (for only 6 months!!) and nothing worked! We also paid for the cooker to be set up, but I believe this is more our problem fitting that in so we didn't send the bill for that...now the landlord is refusing the reimburse us because we asked for a discount on our rent, didn't really ask for a discount we just negotiated as normal! Is there anyone we can call and dispute? Or is there nothing we can do just accept it now? Just out of principles as it took us so much effort to get the place up and running and we will be out soon!
<em>edited by Jcoc56 on 30/10/2014</em>

Latest post on 30 October 2014 - 11:12
We paid the dewa so that we could set it up, but the LL said he is only paying this. Which is the smallest bill of the lot of course! It's just the fact like fairy dust said that it wasn't habitable when we moved in, and we couldn't check the water pump so didn't know we were running that out unfortunately. oh I didn't realise it would cost us to open a case! I need to find the contract, husband has filed it away safely somewhere I can't find right now!
Latest post on 30 October 2014 - 10:54
LL should give you a copy of the final DEWA bill. I always ask them for it as I don't want to end up paying a final bill which could be pricey I don't think there is much you can do. When you view a property it is always good to check if anything isn't working or go around and take photos etc of items that aren't working etc and present to the LL. I am lucky that I have a decent LL who pays for most maintenance It is hard to prove that said items were broke as the LL could say they were fine before( I know they weren't) but it would cost you more to open a case against them for costs
Latest post on 30 October 2014 - 10:50
I hope you didn't pay the DEWA from the previous tenant? That should have gone to the LL and been his problem. What does it say in the contract? I would almost say these issues are a breach of tenancy contract, as the LL has to provide a property which is habitable - which clearly with some of these issues, like no water etc, it was not. If he keeps refusing to pay anything, then go and speak to the rent committee, or you could on moving out, put everything back the way you found it.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY