So what am I supposed to do now?! (Rejected due to curriculum) | ExpatWoman.com

So what am I supposed to do now?! (Rejected due to curriculum)

Latest post on 30 October 2014 - 11:05

So... I was excited to find a place of each of my children starting January, however now the school won't take us because we're moving from Australian to British Curriculum and the school doesn't feel they'll catch up. WTH am I supposed to do with that?!

Sheesh, it's tough enough finding places but then to be rejected based on curriuculum (well, they're not A students either, but they're only 5 & 6 years old).

Any suggestions wise women of EW?!

Latest post on 11 February 2015 - 22:04
You are clearly dealing with people that have very little understanding of education, particularly learning and teaching. Your children absolutely WILL catch up (unless they have learning issues). Formal (academic) reading and writing starts later in Australia than in the UK. Here in Dubai many schools start formal reading and writing in Foundation 1 (3yrs). I wont go into all the excellent reasons behind starting [b'>later[/b'> rather than earlier, but, just to say that it is based on solid educational research. Australia is placed above the UK internationally in terms of literacy and maths levels (Finland tops the list and their children start formal reading and writing at around 7!). The only reason for your children not 'catching up' quickly may possibly be if the teachers in this school also have the same uneducated view as the admissions officers. Feeling 'behind', or being aware that they have been put into a 'low' group can affect confidence and this can have a major effect on performance. I would avoid this school. ETA: Just to also add that your children are not 'behind' - they have developed skills in other areas (social/emotional/physical/critical thinking etc) that will benefit them far beyond the realm of the classroom (again there is a plethora of research to back this up) . Do these people think that children who have not learnt to read and write at 5 have been living in some kind of black hole? edited by lollygobbleblissbomb on 11/02/2015 Oh my goodness, have just realised that this was posted some time ago. Would be interested to know the outcome 3rd Time Lucky - did you find a school? <em>edited by lollygobbleblissbomb on 11/02/2015</em>
Latest post on 02 November 2014 - 08:31
This is absolute nonsense, try other British curriculum schools. Some nationals from the southern hemisphere will have to sit back a year entering schools here and will have to when they return home, it’s unfortunately the nature of how the school years run, but no big problem. I suggest you try some other Schools and not be put off by this poor response. Try Kings, Nord Anglia, Safa. You could also approach KHDA for their advice.
Latest post on 01 November 2014 - 20:43
Sounds like an excuse, my son was happily accepted to star ( now horizon int) - British curric in the final term of year one, after doing none of year one in Australia. You may have more luck once you are here and talking face to face with the registrars. People will leave in Dec and schools will want your money! Good luck.
Latest post on 01 November 2014 - 19:45
DS did 8 months of grade 8 in Qld, 4 months grade 8 in Singapore then another 6 months grade 8 when arriving here! He finally finishes school next May aged 19 1/2 . It hasn't hurt him at all. He is at Deira International school which is UK till grade 11 then IB. The school help with university applications all around the World. There is no need to worry as students from here end up where they want and are best suited. DS doesn't even want to return to OZ. so jump that hurdle when you get to it and now just find a school close to where you live.
Latest post on 01 November 2014 - 14:13
I find the British schools/ curriculum attitude to Australian curriculum disapointing. World wide research and statistics show that the Australian curriculum and outcomes especially in higher school years continuously in the top 5 on a global scale. All curriculum's have their merits and arguments it is the design of the delivery of the curriculum that makes them different. Outcomes and results at year 12 always teare a good indication. Anyway my children spent all their lives living out of Australia until they were accepted into Monash University in Melbourne. In all the countries we lived we went to Australian teaching or PYP methodology schools. Here they attended Victoria International school. An Australian school in agreement with the department of education in Victoria and the Sharjah government. Its a tough call placing kids in schools overseas but at 5 and 6 years old there should not be such stringent and ridiculous comparisons and expectations. Foundation learning is some of the most valuable and important teaching your children can receive, it sets them up for their future learning journey. We were in Singapore at this stage of my children's schooling we really researched there. They are in their 20s now and enjoying being Aussies at home and studying <em>edited by julieh on 01/11/2014</em>
Latest post on 31 October 2014 - 22:26
My DD's are in British curriculum. Loads of Oz kids in their classes and the only "downside" seems to be that the Oz kids tend to be a year older than rest of their classmates. Think a lot of this is to do with Oz school year starting Feb and British one in Sept.
Latest post on 31 October 2014 - 11:49
I find that very surprising as my children came from Australia to GWPS in the final two weeks of December aged 5 and 8. They caught up really quickly, especially my son who had not yet completed preprimary in Aus and was only just writing his name and beginning to read. They are both doing well, however, we are now more concerned that they may not be up to a high enough standard when we return to Aust. This concern is based on the fact that we are told that my 11 yr old is working well above in all areas here, and when she sat a scholarship exam for Aust she was only average. I would question what specific concerns the school has.
Latest post on 31 October 2014 - 09:10
It was GEMS Wellington Primary School. Please tell me that it's a good thing anyway?!! Guinnes2, thanks for those suggestions. I have one of the new schools in Al Barsha that has places. Will see what happens once we apply. I'll try the other schools at that end of town as well as the IB schools with fees we can afford, then EIS/Regent, then American Curriculm... in that order! Nothing against American Curriculum, I just feel it's a little too far 'removed' from us (I trust that makes sense?!). No offense taken, my husband is Australian, we have the debate all the time. All the new schools in Barsha are getting good reviews, particularly Nord Anglia. Kings, Safa and Foremarke are all considered great schools as well.
Latest post on 31 October 2014 - 08:27
It was GEMS Wellington Primary School. Please tell me that it's a good thing anyway?!! Guinnes2, thanks for those suggestions. I have one of the new schools in Al Barsha that has places. Will see what happens once we apply. I'll try the other schools at that end of town as well as the IB schools with fees we can afford, then EIS/Regent, then American Curriculm... in that order! Nothing against American Curriculum, I just feel it's a little too far 'removed' from us (I trust that makes sense?!).
Latest post on 31 October 2014 - 08:12
You haven't told us which school rejected you due to the curriculum, but as you suggest, it's probably just an excuse anyways. I agree with the others - your best bet at this point is to start at a school like EIS in the Meadows or Regent near the Springs. Plan to live there and you'll have a five to ten minute commute to school. Then you can move to a different school later if you aren't happy. If you can't get in touch with them before you come, you'll have no trouble getting them in once you're here. Or perhaps one of the mums whose children go there could get you an email address that will work?
Latest post on 31 October 2014 - 07:17
Well, that's all positive feedback and good advice, thank you. I was quite taken aback when I received the email - how ridiculous! Nearly every Australian child that relocates to Dubai faces the same situation. I'm wondering if they picked up that my son HAD behavioural issues last year and they don't want to deal with that. Even though they wouldn't be as he attended an external program that basically dealt with those issues. To me it is more detrimental that they spend an hour commuting to/from school each day vs. catching up on curriculum. And at their young ages, there's not too many algebra formulae they've missed right?! Will crack on with things on Sunday and hopefully get somewhere with the IB schools. pollydxb1 fees at JBS are 65,000 per child. Eeeeek!!! That's just crazy for us as newbees with all the other set up costs we'll have. Dang, we should never have left the first time... or the second :oD
Latest post on 30 October 2014 - 18:47
Please do not stress. We came here last year from Australia. My DD had completed grade 10 and we faced the same issues of finding a school that would allow her to complete the OP curriculum that she had worked towards. Like you, travelling to another emirate was not an option as kids need to be schooled close to home and live near their friends, Our DD was accepted into a GEMS IB school and even had to go back into Grade 10 for 6 months due to the change over of hemisphere related school terms. This has been the best decision we have made as a family. It is is fantastic curriculum and one that is easily recognised all over the World. Your children are still young, they will adapt. Should you have to move again to a different country or go back to Australia, they can continue their studies easily. This is just my view. I understand fully your dilemma but do some research into other curriculums and you will find your choices will increase. Good luck.
Latest post on 30 October 2014 - 16:49
I think thats rubbish. My eldest was 5 1/2 when we moved here and went into Year 1 at EIS Jumeirah ( only school we could get into at the time) she had only done 1 term of prep in Victoria. She coped fine. Come the new school year we wanted her to repeat just in case but the Principle Assessed her and she was fine so continued on. My 3 year old at the time has done 1 term of Kindergarten and went straight into KG1 at EIS and no problems either. Really keep trying the school it may be a good starting point and like us further down the track when we knew we were going to be here for longer changed schools. Try Star that was taken over by Horizon lots of Aussies there or Raffles
Latest post on 30 October 2014 - 15:37
I have never heard of that either. We moved many years ago now, but relocated in March and a British school took us (JPS). No problems at all.
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 30 October 2014 - 15:14
Try the Victorian school in Sharjah or an IB school - that will fit them for everything that comes their way academically in the future. <em>edited by mrsb. on 31/10/2014</em>
Latest post on 30 October 2014 - 14:54
Can I ask which school?I have never heard of young ones from Aus having a problem to british. my oldest swapped age 6 from end prep/reception/pre-orimary to the middle of year 1 and within a term had easily caught up...... my younger one started in british but his australian cousins are actually ahead in some areas... Especially with the new australian curriculum they should have no issues...
Latest post on 30 October 2014 - 13:29
Also JBS - http://www.jbschool.ae/ in Jumeirah
Latest post on 30 October 2014 - 13:17
Wow pollydxb1, I wouldn't have guessed that! Maybe.... March, have tried calling a number of times but can never get through! Will keep at it! Thank you both :o)
Latest post on 30 October 2014 - 11:43
Have you considered Emirates International School, Jumeriah at all? I don't know about their wait lists but their fees are comparable and even less than some British schools.
Latest post on 30 October 2014 - 11:41
Thanks Ladies, I guess this is why I feel so stressed! I just don't see Sharjah as an option. The commute (from Al Manara or thereabouts) will be a killer. I'm hoping to work, so drop off & pick up would be hard to do. I'm reluctant to put them on a bus unless it's &lt;30 mins. I looked at IB in the beginning too, however the fees are a killer. Feel like I'm between a rock and a hard place! My OH does that journey every day, it takes him quicker than me to get to work (inside Dubai) only about 20 minutes (as he is going against the traffic)
Latest post on 30 October 2014 - 11:33
Thanks Ladies, I guess this is why I feel so stressed! I just don't see Sharjah as an option. The commute (from Al Manara or thereabouts) will be a killer. I'm hoping to work, so drop off & pick up would be hard to do. I'm reluctant to put them on a bus unless it's &lt;30 mins. I looked at IB in the beginning too, however the fees are a killer. Feel like I'm between a rock and a hard place!
Latest post on 30 October 2014 - 11:28
Finish the year at VISS or AIS then change next year. (google those acronyms - both Shar).
Latest post on 30 October 2014 - 11:25
Why not try some of the IB schools? If I had my time again I would push to get into an IB school as the curriculum is more similar to the Australian curriculum than the British curriculum is. Personally, I find the British curriculum too rigid but my kids are happy so I'm not going to change them as we are not planning on staying long-term.
Latest post on 30 October 2014 - 11:20
LOL Guinness2, good to know!! However, we wanted to go British Curriculum as it's more familiar to us and looking at our plans long term thought it would be best. I suppose we could look at switching them at some point in the future, but I'd rather them have continuity. I'm a bit overwhelmed with everything at the moment TBH :o( Well, first of all, the curriculum is completely overrated at that age. Everyone is learning to read and write - and that's the same across the board. The major difference we found when switching from the US to the Uk curriculum was the money in maths, but that was small. Second, there are so many Uk schools, you just have to shop around. If one rejects you, there are many more. Otherwise, check IB which is neither Uk or US. In a pinch, there is always the Australian school ... http://www.ais.ae/
Latest post on 30 October 2014 - 11:14
LOL Guinness2, good to know!! However, we wanted to go British Curriculum as it's more familiar to us and looking at our plans long term thought it would be best. I suppose we could look at switching them at some point in the future, but I'd rather them have continuity. I'm a bit overwhelmed with everything at the moment TBH :o(
Latest post on 30 October 2014 - 11:08
American curriculum. We'll take anyone. And catch them up (Catch them up how? My 5 year old is still reading dog and cat!)

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY