Maid stealing!? | ExpatWoman.com

Maid stealing!?

Latest post on 30 October 2014 - 11:13

These past few months I've notice little things disappearing from our apartment. I didn't wanna think that the maid has anything with it,so i just kind of ignored it. I know it's gonna sound funny when I tell you which things are missing (some cups&glasses,some of my nice underwear,set of nice small spoons,some of my babies toys),but I feel really angry and I just can't understand who would steal things as these.

I've asked her many times where are these stuff,and all she says is "i don't know". I've searched everywhere and its too much of coincidence that we are missing things since we have a maid.

I thought if i asked her,she would know that I'm noticing when things are missing,but I think she is not scared of me because I'm always very kind to her.

Should I say that i'm planning to call the police so they can see where could our things be disappearing or?? I really have no clue what to do,but I don't want to ignore it and then next time something more important disappears.

Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 12 November 2014 - 16:48
The maid is living in your house and has access to its every corner; the maid has a room of her own that is totally private that you generally cant go in. This means stealing is relatively easy. So I think it is well within the rights of the madam to ask to search her room when she feels the time is appropriate. I agree. I regularly inspect my maid's room both for hygiene/cleanliness and other things (basically: Is she stealing from me?). She is looking after my home and family while I am at work so I need to know that I can trust her. I think everyone has the right to regularly inspect their maid's/driver's rooms.
Latest post on 12 November 2014 - 13:31
Oh how I wish she wasn't under our visa,wasted money. We gave our last money to pay for her visa and she knew that .I wanted to report her to the police,but my husband disagreed. He didn't want us to do any further drama. I am still furious not so much for the stealing,but that we were treating her as part of the family. Big Mistake!! :(
Latest post on 03 November 2014 - 13:06
It seems to me that she was not under your sponsorship, otherwise you'd had to cancel her visa and not just "fire" her. So there's no way you could have gone to the police in this case. It's you who would have been in trouble.
Latest post on 03 November 2014 - 11:43
She offered me to research her room,but I didn't do it,as I know i won't find anything. She has sister here where she goes every weekend to,so it would of been very easy for her to take the items there. However I fired her and she came the following day crying and apologising, but to me it doesn't mean anything once you break someones trust. All good now, I don't need to stress about her... Now in a search for new maid,a live out one :) If anyone have someone good to recommend,I would really appreciate it (I should start with work in 2 weeks time,so we are desperate to find a good maid/nanny very quick). Thank you all for helping regarding my issue :)
Latest post on 01 November 2014 - 19:32
The maid is living in your house and has access to its every corner; the maid has a room of her own that is totally private that you generally cant go in. This means stealing is relatively easy. So I think it is well within the rights of the madam to ask to search her room when she feels the time is appropriate.
Latest post on 01 November 2014 - 14:22
Kippling, many years ago when I first moved to London I did a live in pub job for a few months. It was made quite clear within the terms of my employment that my employer was allowed access to my room if wanted. It was their property, their fixtures and stock and their risk to have employees with free access to it all. One way of protecting themselves against theft was to have spot checks of rooms. I had no intention of stealing anything and had no problem with their stance. Nothing went missing in the time I was there and no checks were done but it wouldn't have bothered me at all if my room had been checked - I never had anything to hide. I would have no hesitation to check my maid's room if things were going missing.
Latest post on 01 November 2014 - 08:10
I agree with the others. Search her room and get rid asap. The longer you keep her, the more nonsense you will have to deal with. I hope it all works out for you.
Latest post on 01 November 2014 - 07:56
Never let yourself be in a position in your own home where you're second guessing yourself and suspecting you're going bonkers. Search your maids room but be aware if she has a sister in the UAE your missing items may already have moved house. As for her passive aggressive nonsense - just let her get in with it, all the while keeping in mind that the only place for a maid who steals is the airport and not just to protect another family from going through the same thing you've experienced.
Latest post on 31 October 2014 - 21:54
[b'>Search her room when she is out[/b'>. The same happened to my SIL. The most random and silliest of items started disappearing so she checked the maids room when she was out. She found 12 pairs of white socks,all her missing spoons,forks and other cutlery that she kept replacing, her Kenwood mixer bowl (it goes with her mixer!), pair of diamond earrings and those are just the items that I can remember she told me about (the Kenwood was a gift from me and she barely had it a month before it 'went missing'). She also had flattened cardboard boxes under her bed so she was planning on shipping all the items back to the Philippines. She fired the maid and later found out from other maids that she also stole money from her wallet periodically and has managed to have herself a house built in Manila with all the money stolen throughout the years of employment!! <em>edited by Appletiser on 31/10/2014</em>
Latest post on 31 October 2014 - 21:37
search her room
Latest post on 30 October 2014 - 21:49
My maid left recently and since then I found a lot of 'odd' things have gone missing. Random things that I would never expect someone to take - one of my daughters party dresses and matching shawl, a wooden train set, a set of Peter Rabbit books, 2 pairs of my shoes, couple of tops, towels and 2 sets of duvet, pillow covers, my kitchen scales (ok weird?!!) and my new pink trainers god dammit! She only left a couple of weeks ago so its been a slow process realising exactly what she has taken but I am really upset about it as we considered her family. :( If genuinely you *know* these items are missing and have not just been mislaid (which happens) then you need to sit her down and tell her that you're not happy nor a fool and call her bluff on the old 'I will not renew' thing. If you have good reason not to trust her then why have her in your house? There are plenty of good and honest maids out there that need a job. When my nanny left with all thine stuff I mentioned earlier I was due in 2 weeks...after recovering the lost items I later realized my handicam was gone, lots of brand new under wears n bras were gone as I wasn't wearing them from many months....lots of my silk nighties were gone...all the stuff that I wasn't using due to being pregnant ....definitely a heart breaker but in the end...replaceable. If I would've lost my passports for good or the diamond jewellery etc..it would have been irreplaceable. Thus my suggestion everything really worth it: IN THE LOCK!
Latest post on 30 October 2014 - 21:28
My maid left recently and since then I found a lot of 'odd' things have gone missing. Random things that I would never expect someone to take - one of my daughters party dresses and matching shawl, a wooden train set, a set of Peter Rabbit books, 2 pairs of my shoes, couple of tops, towels and 2 sets of duvet, pillow covers, my kitchen scales (ok weird?!!) and my new pink trainers god dammit! She only left a couple of weeks ago so its been a slow process realising exactly what she has taken but I am really upset about it as we considered her family. :( If genuinely you *know* these items are missing and have not just been mislaid (which happens) then you need to sit her down and tell her that you're not happy nor a fool and call her bluff on the old 'I will not renew' thing. If you have good reason not to trust her then why have her in your house? There are plenty of good and honest maids out there that need a job.
Latest post on 30 October 2014 - 21:18
Well two threads of stealing maids on the same day...not very good for me as I'm looking to employ a new one but my advice would be keep everything valuable in a locked cupboard. Keep keys with you at all times. She looks desperate to leave and can possibly try to instigate you with something bigger....or maybe just disappear with it one fine day... I had a maid disappear with loads of valuables including all passports and check books, diamond jewellery and other valuable.....lucky we were that the police caught her and got every thing back to us except for a gold chain and a ring with Saphires. Since that day all my real valuables are locked away and the key is always with me.
Latest post on 30 October 2014 - 21:03
That sounds like classic passive aggressive behaviour, and not exactly convincing as a proof of innocence. She's trying to make you feel in the wrong whenever you raise an issue. Even without the missing items that, for me, would be a big warning light and I'd let her go as soon as was convenient, if not sooner. It's never going to become a workable employee/employer relationship.
Latest post on 30 October 2014 - 20:09
I said to her to look for the things that were missing,but she said again the same she doesn't know where to find them.I said i need a better explanation than that,so she said it is very hurtful for her (that i'm asking her few times where are certain things) and that she would not renew and she should leave. Every time we had an issue about something that's her first comment,that she should leave. Also that she can not believe I'm making a big drama about non-expensive stuff. Called her sister right away if she could give money to pay us for the visa so she could leave. I feel like if she wants to leave,i should let her go,rather then wait until next problem and again her with the same story. :/
Latest post on 30 October 2014 - 14:11
I had one maid who stole very strange things, a serving spoon here, a toy there, so likewise I found it hard to believe. She was with me for four years; on the last day before we moved here to the UAE I told her to take what she wanted; she refused, saying she had no need. Later that day I found all the things she told me she didnt need hidden; she had intended to steal the lot. I confronted her on her return and she confessed; it was a sad day after four years. Another maid here, part time, likewise started to pocket this and that. I dismissed her immediately. It is like a disease, the things they steal might not have much value but for some reason they pocket stuff. If you take Carambars advice, then make sure when she "finds" the missing objects that she didnt quickly nip to her room and "find" them there. At the same time I also advise caution: I thought another maid was stealing stuff and my kids were complaining of missing items, but we were wrong, the things turned up and she had nothing to do with it. Luckily I didnt confront her as she was innocent. So my advice is: plant some stuff and see, tell her to find the things and check she doesnt go to her room to find them, and general vigilance. Really it could be either way.
Latest post on 30 October 2014 - 11:22
A camera maybe can assist, especially where most of this things are missing, sitting room?
Latest post on 30 October 2014 - 11:20
If showing that you have noticed doesn't alarm her, then maybe take it further… Tell her i would like you to search the whole apartment until you find item X, and by searching i mean tell her she would need to bring everything down and back in place until it's found, not just surface searching, n see what happens. I am not with telling you'd call the police, as she'll understand you are directly accusing her.
Latest post on 30 October 2014 - 11:15
These past few months I've notice little things disappearing from our apartment. I didn't wanna think that the maid has anything with it,so i just kind of ignored it. I know it's gonna sound funny when I tell you which things are missing (some cups&glasses,some of my nice underwear,set of nice small spoons,some of my babies toys),but I feel really angry and I just can't understand who would steal things as these. I've asked her many times where are these stuff,and all she says is "i don't know". I've searched everywhere and its too much of coincidence that we are missing things since we have a maid. I thought if i asked her,she would know that I'm noticing when things are missing,but I think she is not scared of me because I'm always very kind to her. Should I say that i'm planning to call the police so they can see where could our things be disappearing or?? I really have no clue what to do,but I don't want to ignore it and then next time something more important disappears. Could you set up a sting operation. Plant something and see if the thief takes the bait. At least then you will know for sure

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY