Advice: Nanny: Phone calls and Internet usage with | ExpatWoman.com

Advice: Nanny: Phone calls and Internet usage with

Latest post on 30 October 2014 - 17:22

hi all. just hired a new maid and trying to set things up, she asked us for internet password and we have given it to her (assuming she uses it only in her free times and weekend off days)
i just want some advice if i should be upfront about her phone/internet usage during the day as she is alone with my baby (7 months old) and i am worried.
its her fourth day and she gets 5-6 calls during the day (all range from 5-10 mins) and im worried if she is on the call will she be attentive?
secondly: so far she streams movies etc during her free time at night however she did mention she will skype with her family on sunday's (which is when i am working) and im not comfortable for her to skype when she is alone with my baby...
please advice the best way to tackle this or should i wait for sometime before i mention anything

Latest post on 03 November 2014 - 11:22
Hello saggi_1! Great to hear that. Did not mean to offend you, but sometimes we hear so many horror stories that I thought it is good to mention the point. Regarding the phone calls and internet usage, I guess it would be better to talk straight to the nanny that the time she is alone with the baby should not be used for these things as you have hired her specifically for that purpose. I believe if you disconnect the internet, most of your problems would be solved :) There can be only so much she can talk on phone. All the best with this!
Latest post on 02 November 2014 - 16:44
Just turn the internet off when you are not home, and put it on when you are back and happy for her to be using it. It's quite simple! Internet usage at work for personal use is a perk/privilege and not a right, and that goes for everyone. Some employers trust their employees not to abuse this trust. Some don't, and the right is taken away. Many companies all over the world block the use of FB/other sites etc I just wish I had time!!! :D
Latest post on 02 November 2014 - 16:24
Don't get me wrong, but I am hoping that the 'maid' you have hired for your 7 months baby is a 'nanny' and not just a house help kind of maid. I have read about many terrible instances on this forum about 'maids' taking complete care of babies (I got uncomfortable to read that she is alone with your baby during the day). Please consider that if she is not a properly trained 'nanny' she is not equipped for taking care of your child. Her internet and phone usage is next point altogether when compared to this. edited by Rucha13 on 02/11/2014 Hi Rucha13, she is trained nanny and has work ex too. i am very careful as i had a really bad experience with previous one and we cancelled her visa on the same day and sent her back immediately. we also have cams (sadly) as i am quite worried to leave my baby alone any more..
Latest post on 02 November 2014 - 16:22
Thank you all. DH had a word with her this morning to not use her phone when she is alone with the baby. lets hope she improves
Latest post on 02 November 2014 - 13:19
I suggest you sit her down and outline the (non negotiable) house rules regarding her duties, access to Internet and telephone etc. Also give them to her in writing if she can read some English - you will have covered all your bases. At least then, she cannot come back and tell you that she "didn't know" "you didn't tell me". Our maid does have internet connection so she can Skype with her children, however, she has work to complete first, then her family and friends. As Appetiser points out, [b'>our bosses would never allow us to surf the net and chat with friends while we are working[/b'>. LOL !! How many people do you suppose post on EW while they are at work ?? I wish I did have time while working to sit on the computer looking at emails, EW, and facebook. I just don't have the time and I assumed that most others would not either - breaks etc are the time for these activities. well, 27 up thumbs say different !! lolol
Latest post on 02 November 2014 - 13:15
Don't get me wrong, but I am hoping that the 'maid' you have hired for your 7 months baby is a 'nanny' and not just a house help kind of maid. I have read about many terrible instances on this forum about 'maids' taking complete care of babies (I got uncomfortable to read that she is alone with your baby during the day). Please consider that if she is not a properly trained 'nanny' she is not equipped for taking care of your child. Her internet and phone usage is next point altogether when compared to this. <em>edited by Rucha13 on 02/11/2014</em>
Latest post on 02 November 2014 - 10:33
Or, if you don't want to switch the wi-fi off (ie if you have computing needs requiring it during the day) just change the password, and then tell your maid that she will need to request that you enter the password on her phone if she needs it AFTER her childcare duties are done.
Latest post on 02 November 2014 - 10:24
Give her a 'work' phone, put 20 or so dirhams credit per month and that phone is for emergencies and for being in touch with you. Her own phone stays in her room until he he is off duty. Your baby is still young, in another few month he will be into everything and will require someone who is totally engaged and focused.. As others have said, start as you mean to go on, don't leave room for misinterpretation. A friend's little boy had a terrible accident when he was in his stroller at the park with the nanny , another toddler pushed the stroller down a flight of steps while the two nannies were distracted (posting on Facebook). The baby had terrible in juries, luckily all of which he has recovered from.
Latest post on 02 November 2014 - 10:03
Just turn off your wi-fi connection (from the main switch) during the day when you are at work, which will give you some control. You cant monitor phone calls and you cant take her phone away completely incase you need to call her when you are out, but internet is a big source of distraction. You need to control this since she is with your child all day, I definitely would. Of course, tell her that you will switch off the net so you are keeping communication open with her and not being a dictator. It's better to set these boundaries from the start. <em>edited by sourskittleashnut on 02/11/2014</em>
Latest post on 02 November 2014 - 10:02
hi all. just hired a new maid and trying to set things up, she asked us for internet password and we have given it to her (assuming she uses it only in her free times and weekend off days) i just want some advice if i should be upfront about her phone/internet usage during the day as she is alone with my baby (7 months old) and i am worried. its her fourth day and she gets 5-6 calls during the day (all range from 5-10 mins) and im worried if she is on the call will she be attentive? secondly: so far she streams movies etc during her free time at night however she did mention she will skype with her family on sunday's (which is when i am working) and im not comfortable for her to skype when she is alone with my baby... please advice the best way to tackle this or should i wait for sometime before i mention anything Just explain to the maid, during her working hours she should concentrate on the baby, even some of us we dont use phones during working hours, you might think the girl will feel bad and may she will clearly understand your point without any issues.
Latest post on 02 November 2014 - 09:25
really upset! she was babysitting for three hours and one full hour on the phone next to my baby!!!!!! need to be polite & tell her its not ok but really upset :( Hi saggi, it doesn't need to be a difficult conversation, just tell her very clearly that she is not to touch her phone (apart from answering a call from you or your husband) or computer while she is caring for your baby. No negotiation, no discussion, this is one of the terms of her employment. It's a totally reasonable term, I used to nanny part time, there is no way my employer would have tolerated me chatting on the phone or going on the computer when she was paying me to care for her children. You don't need to get upset or annoyed about what she has done already, just tell her how things are going to be going forward. This isn't about you feeling awkward, it's about you dealing with something for the benefit of your child. You'll have to do that a lot, get your brave pants on and start now :)
Latest post on 02 November 2014 - 07:12
Saggi I understand you feel the need to be polite but more importantly you have to be firm & clear with what is acceptable your home. It's not easy when first get a new maid/nanny but her role is to supervise your dd, she can make her calls when she is not working. Perhaps you would feel more comfortable asking your DH to handle it? My nanny does not have internet access at all & it's not permissible for her to use her phone when caring for my DS (unless I am home & she has specifically spoken to me about it) I hope you have a successful chat with her this morning & good luck!
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 02 November 2014 - 07:09
I suggest you sit her down and outline the (non negotiable) house rules regarding her duties, access to Internet and telephone etc. Also give them to her in writing if she can read some English - you will have covered all your bases. At least then, she cannot come back and tell you that she "didn't know" "you didn't tell me". Our maid does have internet connection so she can Skype with her children, however, she has work to complete first, then her family and friends. As Appetiser points out, [b'>our bosses would never allow us to surf the net and chat with friends while we are working[/b'>. LOL !! How many people do you suppose post on EW while they are at work ?? I wish I did have time while working to sit on the computer looking at emails, EW, and facebook. I just don't have the time and I assumed that most others would not either - breaks etc are the time for these activities.
Latest post on 02 November 2014 - 00:47
really upset! she was babysitting for three hours and one full hour on the phone next to my baby!!!!!! need to be polite & tell her its not ok but really upset :(
Latest post on 31 October 2014 - 15:18
I suggest you sit her down and outline the (non negotiable) house rules regarding her duties, access to Internet and telephone etc. Also give them to her in writing if she can read some English - you will have covered all your bases. At least then, she cannot come back and tell you that she "didn't know" "you didn't tell me". Our maid does have internet connection so she can Skype with her children, however, she has work to complete first, then her family and friends. As Appetiser points out, [b'>our bosses would never allow us to surf the net and chat with friends while we are working[/b'>. LOL !! How many people do you suppose post on EW while they are at work ??
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 31 October 2014 - 14:38
I suggest you sit her down and outline the (non negotiable) house rules regarding her duties, access to Internet and telephone etc. Also give them to her in writing if she can read some English - you will have covered all your bases. At least then, she cannot come back and tell you that she "didn't know" "you didn't tell me". Our maid does have internet connection so she can Skype with her children, however, she has work to complete first, then her family and friends. As Appetiser points out, our bosses would never allow us to surf the net and chat with friends while we are working.
Latest post on 30 October 2014 - 21:46
Assuming anything with a maid is just not sensible. Dont assume anything. Already that sounds to me like a lot of net stuff and she has only been with you for four days. Write down some rules and read them out to her.
Latest post on 30 October 2014 - 19:05
Skype and internet should be in her free time not during her working hours. At your office would your boss allow you to surf the net and chat with buddies on skype whilst there is work to be done? Minding your child is a job and she gets paid for it.
Latest post on 30 October 2014 - 19:01
Start as you mean to go on and set the rules now. Changing things after a behavior has become established only causes resentment. Your house your rules. Set, within reason, what those rules should be and stick to them. Is there anyway she can skype on a Sunday when you get in from work?

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY