Sharjah rent help needed | ExpatWoman.com

Sharjah rent help needed

Latest post on 01 November 2014 - 08:52

Hi. I am needing some help regarding rental issues in Sharjah. I moved here from UK in 2011, found an apartment at 50k. The second year the landlord upped the rent to 52k and not knowing any different, my husband and I paid the increase. The landlords "manager" was also given another back hander....again we didn't know any different. The rent remained the same for 2013-2014 at 52k and last year, a bit more knowledgeable, the back hander wasn't given.
Last week, 22 October, the manager called me and asked when I was coming to renew the contract. The rent was being moved from 52k to 65k. Can he do this without three months notice? what happens given he inceased the rent after one year so technically the rent has not been the same for three years. I really do not want the hassle of moving and today 1st Nov is when the contract is up.

Latest post on 11 November 2014 - 17:01
http://www.khaleejtimes.com/kt-article-display-1.asp?xfile=data/nationgeneral/2014/August/nationgeneral_August130.xml&section=nationgeneral
Latest post on 01 November 2014 - 11:17
But you can negotiate the increase, we did several times, this year out rent went up from 108k to 125k but after negotiation he went down to 118k
Latest post on 01 November 2014 - 11:14
In sharjah his is how it goes: 1st contract 3 yrs without increase, then increase every 2 years. So this year your landlord have the right to increase although he didn't have the right to increase after the 1st year, but as you already agreed & paid the increase after the 1st year you can't do anything about it. In sharjah there is nothing called 3 month notice for the increase, it's 15 days only as per municipality, & there is no fixed percentage for the increase.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY