Words that make you cringe | ExpatWoman.com

Words that make you cringe

Latest post on 14 November 2014 - 10:18

Are there some words that feel like nails on a chalkboard? I have two for some odd reason, yummy and tasty.

What are some of yours?

Latest post on 27 November 2014 - 23:43
"evening brunch" Brunch=breakfast + lunch Just call it a buffet.
Latest post on 26 November 2014 - 23:28
This is not really a word but I find it strange when people I don't know end their messages with xoxo or x. I don't know you, why are we hugging/kissing? <em>edited by InWhySee on 26/11/2014</em>
Latest post on 24 November 2014 - 13:45
When someone says "good job" instead of "well done". Makes my toes curl! We say good job in the US all the time but what about the Australian, "Good on ya!" Absolutely hate it. Good on me? What on earth does it mean??? I am lost for words - "good on ya" makes absolutely no sense - but I've never noticed!
Latest post on 24 November 2014 - 13:07
When someone says "good job" instead of "well done". Makes my toes curl! We say good job in the US all the time but what about the Australian, "Good on ya!" Absolutely hate it. Good on me? What on earth does it mean???
Latest post on 24 November 2014 - 12:29
When there was a new staff member replacing someone on leave, my boss would always say "We'd like to welcome Joe Bloggs, who is coming in behind Mary Smith".......???? No. Just no. This is so funny and conjures up images you do not want to have at the office :lol:
Latest post on 24 November 2014 - 12:12
When someone says "good job" instead of "well done". Makes my toes curl! Everybody says that in Sheffield don't they ;)
Latest post on 24 November 2014 - 12:10
When someone says "good job" instead of "well done". Makes my toes curl!
Latest post on 23 November 2014 - 20:02
The use of abbreviations instead of words where theres plenty of room to write it out in full, other than SMS messages where space is an issue. Especially lesser known abbreviations so I have to consult an Internet slang dictionary!
Latest post on 22 November 2014 - 14:14
When there was a new staff member replacing someone on leave, my boss would always say "We'd like to welcome Joe Bloggs, who is coming in behind Mary Smith".......???? No. Just no.
Latest post on 22 November 2014 - 12:56
Stocking stuffers
Latest post on 22 November 2014 - 00:18
'Hi Ma'am', when the person saying it is neither looking at me nor really bothered if I am there at all, and 'Hi ma'm', when repeated by every sales assistant that I pass on my journey trough the store! Trough when there are no p**s? ;) Seriously, M'aam Sir when I am clearly a M'aam not a Sir. <em>edited by simpleasabc on 22/11/2014</em>
Latest post on 21 November 2014 - 23:40
'Hi Ma'am', when the person saying it is neither looking at me nor really bothered if I am there at all, and 'Hi ma'm', when repeated by every sales assistant that I pass on my journey trough the store!
Latest post on 21 November 2014 - 22:43
Vinaigrette when its mispronounced as vini-ger-et. Instead of vini-gret . I thought it was pronounced vinigeret, you learn something new ;) On another note, did anyone see the new avatars, someone on page 2 of this thread already has one Can't seem to get my avatar to work.. <em>edited by Alismum on 21/11/2014</em>
Latest post on 21 November 2014 - 22:26
Vinaigrette when its mispronounced as vini-ger-et. Instead of vini-gret .
Latest post on 21 November 2014 - 16:21
Oopsiedaisy,Redrec Tangle and Nomad and Beebers-faith in humanity restored. Thank you ladies! :rainbow:
Latest post on 21 November 2014 - 16:00
Boffin - for scientist- 7 days loves it for some reason. Panties - nasty. "helper" when people are referring to their maid. It is like they cannot admit they have a maid. Everyone does so who cares? It would be like describing your dentist as your tooth fixer or your accountant as a "money manager". Her job is a maid. Nothing wrong with that. hate the word maid.
Latest post on 21 November 2014 - 15:57
Thank goodness someone raised this. I have always noticed how condescending some native English speakers can be towards non-native ones. They should feel humble and happy that their language is a global business tool and knowing it is seen, always, as an advantage. In every country they may travel to, no matter how much some governments may promote the use of their national language, there will always be someone with whom they can speak without ever having to learn the local language themselves. People are always eager to converse in English and for many it is the difference between that or unemployment. Instead they mock and snigger at the variations that foreigners have come up with in their bid to speak a semblance of English, forgetting that these people have a whole other culture, native tongue and accent to contend with. Cue snide remarks and put-downs, or rolling of eyes and moaning about how the great English language has been butchered. Try speaking a language other than your own, having to make a livelihood out of using it, and being made fun of for your earnest mistakes. But quite surely my solitary post wont change anything. Every once in a while there will be fun to be had at the expense of good names and backsides and pointing out the obvious is just spoiling the fun for everyone - no, the well-versed at least. I agree with you. It's hardly a secret that many native English speakers are not very tolerant of the way people speak English when it their second language...or how Americans speak :)
Latest post on 21 November 2014 - 15:35
Boffin - for scientist- 7 days loves it for some reason. Panties - nasty. "helper" when people are referring to their maid. It is like they cannot admit they have a maid. Everyone does so who cares? It would be like describing your dentist as your tooth fixer or your accountant as a "money manager". Her job is a maid. Nothing wrong with that.
Latest post on 21 November 2014 - 14:44
Why don't you appreciate other nationalities speaking English and maybe throwing in a couple of funny words instead of being a bunch of condescending critics. Try speaking Arabic, Indian, Chinese or German and see how you all do for a change. Certainly hope you are not referring to my post. Let me clarify. Japlish is an accepted term in Japan and is a combination of the two, not condescending in any way . In the bigger cities it is easy to find someone who has a smattering of English when trying to communicate, however in the more remote areas it is not generally spoken. I immersed myself in Japanese culture while there and in return my Japanese friends were very eager to speak English. We started a small book club and our first book was Memoirs of a Gheisha, we would read together and they would stop me for clarification and I asked questions about their culture as written in the book. Win win for all. edited by Nomad on 21/11/2014 No I wasn't Nomad. Neither was I referring to the slang and/or funny ones. It's the constant badgering of words like 'needful" or "good name" etc. that I find quite discriminating to be honest. Thank goodness someone raised this. I have always noticed how condescending some native English speakers can be towards non-native ones. They should feel humble and happy that their language is a global business tool and knowing it is seen, always, as an advantage. In every country they may travel to, no matter how much some governments may promote the use of their national language, there will always be someone with whom they can speak without ever having to learn the local language themselves. People are always eager to converse in English and for many it is the difference between that or unemployment. Instead they mock and snigger at the variations that foreigners have come up with in their bid to speak a semblance of English, forgetting that these people have a whole other culture, native tongue and accent to contend with. Cue snide remarks and put-downs, or rolling of eyes and moaning about how the great English language has been butchered. Try speaking a language other than your own, having to make a livelihood out of using it, and being made fun of for your earnest mistakes. But quite surely my solitary post wont change anything. Every once in a while there will be fun to be had at the expense of good names and backsides and pointing out the obvious is just spoiling the fun for everyone - no, the well-versed at least.
Latest post on 21 November 2014 - 10:47
I don't understand "I was sat on the bench" or "she was sat by me" When my students say "chill out, Miss" - I wanted to punch them. I also hate the words stomach and squat.
Latest post on 21 November 2014 - 01:13
Why don't you appreciate other nationalities speaking English and maybe throwing in a couple of funny words instead of being a bunch of condescending critics. Try speaking Arabic, Indian, Chinese or German and see how you all do for a change. Certainly hope you are not referring to my post. Let me clarify. Japlish is an accepted term in Japan and is a combination of the two, not condescending in any way . In the bigger cities it is easy to find someone who has a smattering of English when trying to communicate, however in the more remote areas it is not generally spoken. I immersed myself in Japanese culture while there and in return my Japanese friends were very eager to speak English. We started a small book club and our first book was Memoirs of a Gheisha, we would read together and they would stop me for clarification and I asked questions about their culture as written in the book. Win win for all. edited by Nomad on 21/11/2014 No I wasn't Nomad. Neither was I referring to the slang and/or funny ones. It's the constant badgering of words like 'needful" or "good name" etc. that I find quite discriminating to be honest.
Latest post on 21 November 2014 - 00:30
Why don't you appreciate other nationalities speaking English and maybe throwing in a couple of funny words instead of being a bunch of condescending critics. Try speaking Arabic, Indian, Chinese or German and see how you all do for a change. Certainly hope you are not referring to my post. Let me clarify. Japlish is an accepted term in Japan and is a combination of the two, not condescending in any way . In the bigger cities it is easy to find someone who has a smattering of English when trying to communicate, however in the more remote areas it is not generally spoken. I immersed myself in Japanese culture while there and in return my Japanese friends were very eager to speak English. We started a small book club ,our first book was Memoirs of a Gheisha, we would read together , they would stop me for clarification and I asked questions about their culture as written in the book. Win win for all. <em>edited by Nomad on 21/11/2014</em>
Latest post on 21 November 2014 - 00:23
There's always got to be that one person ;) I use a lot of the words mentioned on this forum mainly because it's American slang. Keep them coming ladies, these posts are really funny.
Latest post on 21 November 2014 - 00:06
Why don't you appreciate other nationalities speaking English and maybe throwing in a couple of funny words instead of being a bunch of condescending critics. Try speaking Arabic, Indian, Chinese or German and see how you all do for a change.
Latest post on 20 November 2014 - 21:46
http://www.expatwoman.com/forum/topic123501-sayings-you-cant-stand.aspx?Page=2 The word 'riddled' always makes me feel slightly queasy! I agree with Sandfly. I am an English teacher and have also done some freelance writing, editing etc so naturally my work requires that I teach Standard English and proper grammar. However, language is a constantly evolving, unique human experience. 'Your good name' is intended to mark respect. I am currently attempting to learn Dutch and hope to be fluent one day but time constraints (plus advancing years) have meant that I am struggling to build momentum. We consider ourselves lucky that English is widely spoken or even attempted by so many non-native speakers. I had a very different experience in Japan and just about got by with a smattering of Japanese and the many linguistic joys of the hybrid Japlish! Steven Pinker makes some interesting points about language and grammar here: http://www.newrepublic.com/article/77732/grammar-puss-steven-pinker-language-william-safire edited by veganprincess on 20/11/2014 So glad you mentioned your ' good name ' when we first arrived in the ME, nearly 25 years back, it was considered very respectful . Ah yes Japlish , while living there I resorted to flash cards with pictures as we were stationed way down south where the only European people some had ever seen were in the movies.
Latest post on 20 November 2014 - 19:05
http://www.expatwoman.com/forum/topic123501-sayings-you-cant-stand.aspx?Page=2 The word 'riddled' always makes me feel slightly queasy! I agree with Sandfly. I am an English teacher and have also done some freelance writing, editing etc so naturally my work requires that I teach Standard English and proper grammar. However, language is a constantly evolving, unique human experience. 'Your good name' is intended to mark respect. I am currently attempting to learn Dutch and hope to be fluent one day but time constraints (plus advancing years) have meant that I am struggling to build momentum. We consider ourselves lucky that English is widely spoken or even attempted by so many non-native speakers. I had a very different experience in Japan and just about got by with a smattering of Japanese and the many linguistic joys of the hybrid Japlish! Steven Pinker makes some interesting points about language and grammar here: http://www.newrepublic.com/article/77732/grammar-puss-steven-pinker-language-william-safire <em>edited by veganprincess on 20/11/2014</em>
Latest post on 20 November 2014 - 11:47
I know I'm going to get a slating from some people on here so sorry in advance, but here goes... Cupcake Movie Play date Date night Pants (instead of trousers) Panties, urghh! Sanitary napkins. Napkins? Seriously?!
Latest post on 20 November 2014 - 10:18
It keeps changing with the trend, quite a few of them have popped up here (chillax for one), but for now what annoys me for some unfathomable reason is the use of hastags outside of twitter. Adding a billion hashtags bumps up annoyance factor by a thousand percent. Why, I have no idea - it just makes me cringe. For example my teenage nephew was in Paris and took some lovely pictures with the Eiffel Tower and then posted that on Facebook - like this: #livingthedream #paris #Blahblahblah and it just went on and on. if its not on twitter it makes you look like a twit, why do so many people do this ?
Latest post on 20 November 2014 - 09:46
Your good name - umm - you don't want my bad name?
Latest post on 20 November 2014 - 09:25
excessive use of 'Like' in sentences ... and Duhh!!! ...

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY