Moving abroad and school says they won't refund deposit | ExpatWoman.com

Moving abroad and school says they won't refund deposit

Latest post on 18 November 2014 - 17:59

We are leaving Dubai at the end of this Term after just over three years here, all at the same school. I let the registrar know verbally after school started in September that we were leaving, and followed up a couple of weeks later, still in September, with an email. When I saw ethe Registrar she did not say anything about any time constraints on the written confirmation - just needed something for the file. After checking with Accounts today on when I could get the cheques, they waited till I got home before sending an email saying my request for reimbursement of my deposit has been declined !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I need some advice

Latest post on 24 November 2014 - 21:38
As per KHDA guidelines this reason is an 'exceptional circumstance' and no prior notice is needed. They have to give you your money back or go to the KHDA directly and lodge a complaint. They are very good at following up on these things.
Latest post on 19 November 2014 - 09:06
Ask for a copy of the terms and conditions, the point is you gave verbal notice and you were not infomred at the time to follow it up in writing. And then schools wonder why they get negative reviews and poor reputations?
Latest post on 19 November 2014 - 08:19
Shocking but somehow not at all surprising. I think KHDA is your only option. A dreadful approach.
Latest post on 18 November 2014 - 20:35
Thought it would be "that" school. They've been doing it for years.
Latest post on 18 November 2014 - 20:02
It's a high profile British curriculum school. I have to see them about it tomorrow and I m hoping to resolve it before I take it further, has anyone heard of this happening ? It's not like we are changing schools, we are leaving the country and we are talking thousands of dhs. Well that narrows it down to one.........good luck there. If it is the same then yes i know they did the same to a friend last year and stated they only ever return the deposits if moving out of country..............
Latest post on 18 November 2014 - 19:07
It's a high profile British curriculum school. I have to see them about it tomorrow and I m hoping to resolve it before I take it further, has anyone heard of this happening ? It's not like we are changing schools, we are leaving the country and we are talking thousands of dhs.
Latest post on 18 November 2014 - 18:13
Outrageous! Go visit KHDA in academic city and also see the Head of school. Which school is this?

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY