What to bring back from the US | ExpatWoman.com

What to bring back from the US

Latest post on 20 November 2014 - 11:24

Hi ladies

I am on a business trio right now in Phoenix and was wondering what I should get here to bring bak with me to Dubai....what things are cheaper and not available there?

Its my first time in the States so not sure what is good here

TIA
CC

Latest post on 23 November 2014 - 23:34
Expanding on the recommendation from Apricot- Speaking of extra bags... if you go to REI they have small to extra large duffle bags that fold down to a small size. So you can pack it in your bags in the future in case you end up needing an extra bag. I have them and they come in handy. :) Abaddon, my nearest REI is next to a Marshalls store, talk about perfect pairing :) I've just ordered the LLBean duffel bags, to be brought over by a family visitor, but will definitely remember REI. Re the hotdogs, the best I've found locally are the in-house beef frankfurters at Organic F&C, next best are Prime and Midamar (at Hyperpanda and Safestway) brands. So happy you mentioned veggie and fruit seeds! I often bring a stash back, and even bought a bunch of seeds while in Hong Kong, which grew very well here. Vitamins are a great bargain in the States. Walmart brand, Trader Joes brand, and if you can find someone with a membership, Costco/ Sam's Club. My aunt had corporate visitors from China who requested a trip to Costco, where they specifically bought large containers of omega 3-6-9 and other supplements.
Latest post on 23 November 2014 - 11:46
BC Powders. I need some BAD!
Latest post on 23 November 2014 - 11:27
I agree with checking out TJ Maxx, so many bargains to be had. Coach at the outlet malls are always so cheap. I also find sports clothes and shoes to be so much cheaper in the US. Kids clothes in Justice, American Eagle and GAP are much cheaper than here. As far as food items, for some reason we bring back dill pickles, the huge tic tac boxes, different flavoured gum and quite a lot of the different peanut butter flavoured chocolates (DH has an affinity to peanut butter chocolates and here we only seem to get the Reece's cups). Happy shopping.
Latest post on 23 November 2014 - 00:16
Expanding on the recommendation from Apricot- Speaking of extra bags... if you go to REI they have small to extra large duffle bags that fold down to a small size. So you can pack it in your bags in the future in case you end up needing an extra bag. I have them and they come in handy. :) For cosmetics you may also want to check out a store named Ulta. Oh, if you like L'oreal makeup definitely get it in the US as you almost pay double the price here in Dubai. Also for haircare products you might want to try a store named Sally's. Those of us who are bold have been known to sneak in bedroom "toys" in our check-in bags ;) Just gotta pray you don't get randomly picked to have your bags checked after picking them up. If you are into gardening you might want to get specialty vegetable and flower seeds that you won't find over here. I have a stash of veggie/flower seeds I have been buying every time I travel to the US. But definitely check out the shops she recommended -- Ross/Marshalls/TJ Maxx/Big Lots etc... Last time I was there I was planning on getting a cooler back and freezing these ice pack sheets with dry ice (as they get as cold as dry ice) and bringing back American hot dogs (particularly Kosher ones as I think they are some of the best) and turkey ham (I can't find a good one here) but I was traveling alone and my bags were already overweight :(
Latest post on 22 November 2014 - 22:26
If you have the time, there are shops like Ross/Marshalls/TJ Maxx/ Big Lots/ Home Goods/ Tuesday Morning that have an assortment of branded items (clothing, kids clothing, kids toys, home accessories, kitchen gadgets, towels and bedding, gift items, shoes) at 70% below retail prices. These places are located within suburbs so you don't have to drive 1 hr plus out of the urban areas towards an outlet center in the hope of bargains. (Petrol prices are quite steep in most states nowadays.) Macy's is particularly worth shopping at if you catch a weekend sale (at least once a month) and/ or know someone in the States who has their credit card plus the special additional discount vouchers they receive. I like their imitation jewelry and mens clothes. Cosmetics and a few brands like Le Sportsac and Le Creuset are never included in these discount offers. TBH, I prefer to buy cosmetics at Nordstrom rather than Macy's. The same price, more selection of premium brands, and much better customer service. Nordstrom has an outlet called Nordstrom Rack and Saks Fifth Avenue has an outlet called Off 5th.Target carries a brand called Sonia Kashuk which are the best bargain-priced makeup brushes. Walmart carries ELF makeup brushes and has excellent Danskin sports bras. If you like Crate and Barrel, it is worth seeking out their outlet stores in the States. I bought lovely tablecloths for $16 (which I saw in the Dubai shops a month prior to travel at $60), and some other great pieces. If you have wide feet, Footwear Etc has a great and stylish selection and well-trained staff. Zappos dot com has good prices on Michael Kors handbags, if that floats your boat. And if you need an extra bag to bring all your goodies back to Dubai, Amazon and LLBean sell durable duffle bags without wheels.
Latest post on 21 November 2014 - 18:50
Go to Target and Macy's. Check out prices on the things you might conceivably be buying back in UAE. Target for household bits and pieces, especially towels and bedding, Macy's for clothes and cosmetics, all much cheaper than in UAE. In fact cheaper than just about anywhere! (And if you've ever looked at Crate and Barrel and shuddered at the prices, check out a store in the US. MUCH more affordable.)
Latest post on 21 November 2014 - 12:19
If you like Moet Chandon it's far cheaper in the US than Dubai. Several food products from Jamaica and Latin America available there that people have told me can never find here. Depending how long your trip is, you could order books, new and next to nothing used to be have shipped to your hotel. And yes, clothing, handbags, shoes, in general are better priced there in my experience. I love the outlets.
Latest post on 21 November 2014 - 10:35
Shoes - I find it cheaper to buy them in the US and pay the shipping to Dubai. Also, vanilla extract for baking.
Latest post on 21 November 2014 - 03:32
What about designer bags and shoes? Are they really cheaper in the US? I plan to go check out the outlet malls for some clothing I've noticed that toys and books are cheaper, so will probably bring home some Melissa & Doug things for the children that are expensive in Dubai or that I haven't seen there. Definitely not interested in any food stuff....i think there is sufficient in Dubai
Latest post on 20 November 2014 - 11:47
That really depends on what your tastes are. I just ordered some pacifiers and a car seat accessory off of amazon.com for my future visitor to bring over for me. As an adult, I don't need anything from the USA except some Burt's Bees lip gloss. Pretty much everything is available here. I don't need more processed foods and cheap plastic toys...
Latest post on 20 November 2014 - 11:31
What type of things? I've found most things are available in dubai actually; the only thing that comes to mind is some brands of cosmetics. Kids books and games are cheaper there, maybe shoes?

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY