National Day celebration - events not to miss | ExpatWoman.com

National Day celebration - events not to miss

Latest post on 20 November 2014 - 15:21

It will be our first National day in Dubai and I'd like to know what is worth seeing and visiting during these days... Thanks in advance!

Latest post on 21 November 2014 - 00:24
The police have stopped activities on Beach Road in the last couple of years...it was totally dead last year and the year before they had closed off a lot of the road to stop people from driving down, and were stopping all of the silly string and other antics...shame, it was fab, if totally bonkers... I was at Beach Road last year and it was far from closed. Hundreds of cars between 39th and Beach Park. It was crazy, the decorations, the silly string, all the works. Do hope they will allow it this year as well though.
Latest post on 20 November 2014 - 16:42
The police have stopped activities on Beach Road in the last couple of years...it was totally dead last year and the year before they had closed off a lot of the road to stop people from driving down, and were stopping all of the silly string and other antics...shame, it was fab, if totally bonkers...
Latest post on 20 November 2014 - 16:41
I may be getting muddled with this parade! http://www.khaleejtimes.com/darticlen.asp?xfile=data/theuae/2010/January/theuae_January77.xml&section=theuae The Emaar Boulevard is in Downtown, so park in Dubai Mall/Souk al Bahar and walk outside to the road. Bring your UAE Flags/facepaint/outfits! :biggrin:
Latest post on 20 November 2014 - 16:35
Thanks a lot for the detailed reply! I've heard already about the Grand Parade in Maydan (28/11) but didn't hear about the Boulevard. Where is it, please? Also if anybody knows about the last one, attended by the royal family, please, share the info!
Latest post on 20 November 2014 - 15:32
The parade along the Boulevard (29th Nov) is really fun, floats and people standing on the side of the road, all of the fire brigade, police depts, ambulances etc all bring out their best vehicles, it's really fun. There are cars covered in 1 AED coins and music etc. It goes from one end of the boulevard to the end and then back again. There will be fireworks (probably on 2nd) There is a motor parade on the 28th which will have all the motorbikes (noisy harleys etc) and supercars in it, the roads will be blocked off on those days as it goes round the City but it's a rolling blockade so traffic is only stuck for 10-15 minutes in each place, again, very fun to stand on the side of the road with your UAE flags as they go by. On Beach Road on the 2nd Dec it is generally pretty hectic with people displaying their car decorations and generally whooping and spraying fizzy spray stuff :biggrin: - that goes on late into the night! There is also usually a parade in Mamzar Park with police horses etc but I think you would have to read arabic newspapers to find out when it is on, it is usually attended by the Royal family and all the crowds are face painted with UAE paint and with their UAE gear on. A very fun time of year. Enjoy!

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY