Keeping Chickens in Dubai | ExpatWoman.com

Keeping Chickens in Dubai

Latest post on 22 November 2014 - 18:44

Hi Girls, would anyone of you know where I could buy some chicken feed grain or seeds and some hay in Dubai? I'm aware there are places in Sharjah but I need somewhere closer to me. I kept chickens back home and have just decided to get a few but I'm trying to plan before I buy them.
Also any advice on keeping chickens in Dubai would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Latest post on 24 November 2014 - 19:54
:) enjoy the yummy eggs:)
Latest post on 24 November 2014 - 18:50
Thanks all for the replies, mrsb I'm taking notes, thanks. I agreed with the rice and greens but also wanted some grain for them to busy themselves scraping around during the day! I'll try out the animal market (I'll have to look it up) and then hopefully I'm set. Thanks Belle979, yes the weather is so lovely now and hopefully I'll be an expert by the hot summer months. I should be okay where I live, I hope!!!
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 24 November 2014 - 14:53
I buy grain from the Animal market so not sure where in Dubai you could buy grain in that quantity. Also, don't forget that they like some fresh green pick (your lovely plants will do) and your table scraps are also welcome. They also like some fresh meat and will dig in the grass to find grubs, worms,and bugs, which they love eating. They do need a varied diet if they are to remain happy and disease free, especially in the summer heat here. Also, it gets rather cool at night in winter so they need a somewhere warm to roost in winter. They also need some sandy dirt for having a nice dirt bath - they love that. Also, in summer, when it is very hot, I hose my chooks to cool them down. In summer, they dry quickly.
Latest post on 24 November 2014 - 13:23
A good time of year to get some but I'd think carefully about the coop as it get so hot in the summer they'll need somewhere that's cool. I'd don't know where you would buy grain but rice and greens sounds good:)
Latest post on 24 November 2014 - 11:44
Chicken feed on rice or greens
Latest post on 24 November 2014 - 09:17
A lot of the Emirati population keeps chickens. If you are living in a community such as the ranches, jvt etc then you are not allowed but if you live in local neighborhoods then yes, not a problem. Sorry cannot help with sourcing feed but I bet any neighbor who has chickens can help with this.
Latest post on 23 November 2014 - 23:00
Does anyone keep chickens in Dubai? I'm starting to wonder if I should give on the idea of getting some. Any advise appreciated either way, thanks.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY