Will You quit Your business if you are fed up ??? | ExpatWoman.com

Will You quit Your business if you are fed up ???

Latest post on 22 November 2014 - 21:32

It took my several years to set up my business ,It is now profitable enough. For last couple of months, I am feeling fed up of the hard work, efforts I have to put in running the business. I cannot afford going on vacation, no matter where I am, I have to be reachable for my staff just in case.....I am never at peace and there is always ongoing calculations. I don't have children and no plans to have any......I am seiourly considering to just quit it. My husband is against it, although he is not at all sharing responsibility in business. If I quit business, all our visas will be canceled and we will need to go back to home country. My husband is all the time saying, "who sells such a profitable business". I don't feel happy at all, everyday dragging to finish piles of work and never ending, nerves wrenching stress. When I look in mirror, I already look 10 years older than my age.

I never wanted to be this.....I never wanted to live life like this.....shall I quit?

I feel like running away already.......
<em>edited by lilly111 on 22/11/2014</em>

Latest post on 25 November 2014 - 11:48
Thank you everyone for your ideas. I don't think so partnership will be workable for me. I have my own way of running things, which I don't see in many young business people, I will not like to change the way business is run. I have already started looking for a person assistant, that's only thing I feel will work for me. Good luck to all who are looking to start business, its not that difficult if you have helping hands to share responsibilities.
Latest post on 25 November 2014 - 11:29
I have thought several times of starting a business but the thought of the hard work and time required has put me off... but the situation you are in now seems intense... its not always easy to come out of a situation like this and not have bad-feelings in the family... hope the partnership idea works out for you....!
Latest post on 25 November 2014 - 10:30
It took my several years to set up my business ,It is now profitable enough. For last couple of months, I am feeling fed up of the hard work, efforts I have to put in running the business. I cannot afford going on vacation, no matter where I am, I have to be reachable for my staff just in case.....I am never at peace and there is always ongoing calculations. I don't have children and no plans to have any......I am seiourly considering to just quit it. My husband is against it, although he is not at all sharing responsibility in business. If I quit business, all our visas will be canceled and we will need to go back to home country. My husband is all the time saying, "who sells such a profitable business". I don't feel happy at all, everyday dragging to finish piles of work and never ending, nerves wrenching stress. When I look in mirror, I already look 10 years older than my age. I never wanted to be this.....I never wanted to live life like this.....shall I quit? I feel like running away already....... edited by lilly111 on 22/11/2014 Hi Lilly , my brother in law is looking for a running business to work as working or investment partner , if you are interested then you can send him details at his email [email protected]
Latest post on 23 November 2014 - 14:17
No, I would not!! You need to delegate OP otherwise you'll not find anymore pleasure in doing it. Delegate, delegate, delegate...
Latest post on 23 November 2014 - 13:12
I am in pretty much the same boat. I have a real estate business that is doing well. However, I have been really sick. It is difficult to keep up with the business when I am sick and just not feeling like it, and real estate needs ultimate attention to keep running successfully. My family depends a lot on the profits that I make from my business. It is difficult, but we have to find ways to take a break from the phone calls and spend quality time with our families. Also, it is important to nurture our relationship with our husbands. Find time to spend with him, without the children. Write me if you want. Maybe we can be friends. My email is [email protected]
Latest post on 23 November 2014 - 11:07
Its not a big set up, but making fair enough for me. Nature of work is such that I cannot rely on staff, because they do not delivery quality work if not supervised. Employees are employees, they won't take business as serious as you take it your self. May be I should consider option of a partner. Thanks everyone for replies.
Latest post on 23 November 2014 - 10:12
i 'll be interested to discuss and come on as a partner if there is an opportunity ..please email me on [email protected]
Latest post on 23 November 2014 - 08:52
Lily, it seems to me that you really don't need more staff. You need an equal to run the business in partnership. Someone who feels and shares your responsibility, not an employee. My best friend has been in your shoes. Finding a partner was the best decision she ever made. She now enjoys her business but at the same time has ample opportunity to enjoy life as well. After all, that's what setting up your own business is about. I'm sure there are plenty of people here who would jump to the opportunity of partnering up with you. Depending on your line if business I certainly would.
Latest post on 23 November 2014 - 08:07
All of the advice here is the exact needed. 1. Either get support by hiring staff (PA to delegate tedious ask to, a skilled professional in the serve offered, whatever is necessary) 2. Sell half the company and ave a partner,or 3. (worst idea) Cap the clients able to serve TBH, it seems you are simply exhausted rather than wanting to close down. Hiring someone would give you the chance to refresh. I would not throw the towel in on a profitable company over exhaustion without first trying the above things. That will be the go to solution for everything form then on, and the workforce here is so tough most days, most of us feeling as you are as we name money for another person. As it sounds as though, even if you closed this so., your DH would insist on staying, and on yo getting work or opening another co. Or could it be that you WANT to leave, and are looking for ways to do so?
Latest post on 23 November 2014 - 07:16
If I were really fed up with doing everything myself, I would learn to delegate. That is, find someone who can work as your shadow and manage the business while you are gone. It sounds to me like your business has grown to the point where you can hire a Vice-President and it's time to let go a bit.
Latest post on 23 November 2014 - 06:29
Why don't you go into partnership with someone. It sounds like you have a great business going. I guess ultimately it comes down to whether you want to stay in dubai or not!
Latest post on 23 November 2014 - 00:34
What does your husband do? Does he work? have his own business? Just reading between the lines here, so forgive me if I am wrong, but it sounds as if your life here relies on you, and you are not getting the support from your husband. Doing it alone even if it just feels that way is going to grind anyone down. Generally I would say that we start a business from scratch because it is something we LOVE and are passionate about, and while sometimes (often long periods of time) the reality of it is just sheer bl00dy hard work, exhausting mentally and physically and it's hard to see the why of what we created in the first place it's still our baby and we put more of ourselves into it than is often healthy or wise. If you feel like running away then something in the balance of things is not sitting right. If it's the other way and the business was created through necessity rather than passion, then your feelings are utterly understandable. If it was me, I'd be having a wee chat with my husband as a starting point. It sounds like you have other dependents on your visa situation? (Again, reading between the lines) but if that's so, you have a lot of pressure on you from that quarter alone. Oh, and take a break. As a Manager of people your first priority is to have an exit strategy. Some one among the people who work for you must be capable of training, up-skilling and in effect taking YOUR role so that you can free yourself to grow the business without the clutter of the day to day paper work etc. Delegate. Train. Put yourself out of your position and take real pleasure in helping someone achieve that position and be really good at it. Husband is self employed too, but visas are under my business sponsorship because DH took his own time to establish. Ultimately, All contracts are under my name too. I started business out of need, although it is profitable now but I don't see any more expansion chances, because I don't wanna hire more staff. Its just toooooo much for me to handle. Unfortunately, I have had clash with my husband on same thing, I don't have energy to handle these things due to my medical issues as well......and he is not keen on returning back to home country. I am not sure if he will be taking all the responsibilities of vcisas etc.....he has been just saying...."you know I can't do that".
Latest post on 22 November 2014 - 22:02
What does your husband do? Does he work? have his own business? Just reading between the lines here, so forgive me if I am wrong, but it sounds as if your life here relies on you, and you are not getting the support from your husband. Doing it alone even if it just feels that way is going to grind anyone down. Generally I would say that we start a business from scratch because it is something we LOVE and are passionate about, and while sometimes (often long periods of time) the reality of it is just sheer bl00dy hard work, exhausting mentally and physically and it's hard to see the why of what we created in the first place it's still our baby and we put more of ourselves into it than is often healthy or wise. If you feel like running away then something in the balance of things is not sitting right. If it's the other way and the business was created through necessity rather than passion, then your feelings are utterly understandable. If it was me, I'd be having a wee chat with my husband as a starting point. It sounds like you have other dependents on your visa situation? (Again, reading between the lines) but if that's so, you have a lot of pressure on you from that quarter alone. Oh, and take a break. As a Manager of people your first priority is to have an exit strategy. Some one among the people who work for you must be capable of training, up-skilling and in effect taking YOUR role so that you can free yourself to grow the business without the clutter of the day to day paper work etc. Delegate. Train. Put yourself out of your position and take real pleasure in helping someone achieve that position and be really good at it.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY