Learn to Ride A Bike | ExpatWoman.com

Learn to Ride A Bike

Latest post on 24 November 2014 - 07:42
Hi Mara, can he ride a scooter? They also require balance and coordination - maybe start him off with one of those. He can at least keep up with the other kids on their bikes on a scooter - and keep trying with the bike - he'll get it eventually!
Latest post on 24 November 2014 - 07:32
Thx for all your comments but I have to agree with Mumto2 yes its all about Balance. My son is 9 years old and he has some sensory issues and that of course affects his balance. Its very frustrating since he sees other kids riding their bikes and he can't. I know normally one shouldn't hire a trainer to teach such a thing but in my case I guess I need that.
Latest post on 23 November 2014 - 16:58
Tattie I feel like you. I wanted to be the first to push them off on their bikes and watch them ride away. Nearly collapsed in a pile mind you after pushing my littlest around JBR for two hours. Mara my eldest was 5 and my youngest 6 and they both had trainer wheels for a year beforehand. Maybe your little boy is a bit young.
Latest post on 23 November 2014 - 16:23
This is such a milestone for a child, I wouldn't let someone else do it. It's something you/they will remember for their whole lives so just persevere and it will happen. It's like a first haircut, a first tooth falling out - don't let a stranger be the one to experience it. :cry:
Latest post on 23 November 2014 - 15:48
Biking is really all about balance. Our kids used the balance bikes for a few months and it took them only about 10 minutes to get on pedal bikes. Pedalling is a no-brainer if you know how to balance. If you can take off the pedals or if your child can just run while sitting on the bike, he will learn how to balance. Show him how. But if he just does not want to, then he's probably just not ready as Daza said.
Latest post on 23 November 2014 - 12:14
I agree with Daza. With mine, we kept the stabilisers on until they were ready to have them removed - about ages 4 to 6 depending on the child. They reach a point where they consider themselves to be a big boy/girl and want to ride without the stabilisers. At that stage we took them to a park at a time when the parks are not busy; DH and I would stand some distance apart and they would try going from one to the next, with us 'catching' them when they got to us. We increased the distance each time. With lots of encouragement and treats afterwards they got it pretty quickly. If they fall, do not make it a big deal, and simply help them up back on the bike. Make it fun. Hope this helps.
Latest post on 23 November 2014 - 11:31
Hi Mara Maybe he's just not ready? Does he want to do it? How old is he? Is he your first child? My oldest child learnt to ride a bike much older than my second child, she just wasn't interested where as my second child was really keen. To be honest, teaching a child to ride a bike really isn't something you need to get a trainer for. As long as they are ready it's pretty straight forward, you just might need to spend a bit of time getting their confidence up.
Latest post on 23 November 2014 - 09:40
Mara, How old is your son?. I taught both my boys how to ride their bikes, took me a couple days both times. Some people remove the pedals first, I never did with mine, but I hear that it might be a quicker method i.e teaching balance first. Did you try this method? Have a look at these videos http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqgCxgd3l2g http://www.babycenter.com/2_how-to-teach-your-child-to-ride-a-bike_10354840.bc
Latest post on 23 November 2014 - 09:32
Hi, is there such a Place/ Trainer that can help children to learn riding a bicycle? My husband and I tried alot with our son but with no luck :(

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY