umm Ali | ExpatWoman.com

umm Ali

Latest post on 23 November 2014 - 15:20

Hi All, I've tasted Umm Ali at many hotel buffets and events before and they always seem to taste pretty much the same. At restaurants their always quite different and have their own twist etc. I absolutely love the ordinary plain Umm Ali at these buffets. Anyone have a fool proof recipe? Thanks. I've tried making it before but just doesn't come out with the same consistency or flavour.

Latest post on 25 November 2014 - 12:34
My famous go to recipe in a hurry....umm ali is delicious but full of calories. Take 5 very large plain croissants, torn into pieces, sprinkle with pistachio nuts and blanched chopped almonds, a small handful of raisins and placed into an ovenproof dish. In a pot heat 3 cups milk, 1 cup cream and 1 small tin sweetened condensed milk. When hot, add 1/3 cup rose water. ( optional) Then pour over croissants. Put into a hot oven till golden on top. Mmm just thinking about it.
Latest post on 23 November 2014 - 20:52
Excellent - thank you! Definitely one to save, I love Umm Ali.
Latest post on 23 November 2014 - 20:43
Oooo great thanks!! I think the one Shaks posted is Ginnee's one as somepne else had said 'wheres the recipe' and she replied 'this is the one'. The condensed milk in there must make it absolutely amazing!
Latest post on 23 November 2014 - 20:42
I think that's Ginnee's recipe that shake quoted (just didn't do the quote function, i guess).
Latest post on 23 November 2014 - 19:30
I don't see any recipe from Ginnee (where is she, by the way?), only one from shaks.
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 23 November 2014 - 19:24
I also use Ginnee's recipe - it is foolproof!
Latest post on 23 November 2014 - 15:42
You could ask the chef at whichever hotel you liked the best one, they usually will tell you how they make it. I have taken some great recipes from famous chefs over the years, you may be surprised how happy they are when people ask. I think in the case of umm Ali and I am not an expert on it, I think they use puff pasty instead of bread. I'm sure others here know better.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY