Racism experienced in Doha? | ExpatWoman.com

Racism experienced in Doha?

Latest post on 28 November 2014 - 23:55
Am African by the way of America. Meaning I have spent the last 15 years of my life leaving and educated in USA. Will be moving to Qatar for Job transfer in Early 2015. I'm worried that any kind of racism towards my friend or myself would make me go off on someone. I am really trying to talk to myself that it's ignorance which makes people racist. I have been in USA for 15 and honestly I can say I have never dealt with it personally. Am worried on my reaction if it happens in Qatar, for sure wouldn't wanna end up in Qatari Jail. :biggrin:
Latest post on 27 November 2014 - 19:19
Hi, I'm African American and I wondered the same thing. The United States has racial tendencies against people with darker skin tones like myself and I will be moving to Qatar soon. I had a Skype session with a white guy from London who worked in Qatar for 2 years. He is married to a Jamaican woman. He told me that his wife and daughter saw no different treatment. I am looking forward to that as I'm sure it will be refreshing.
Latest post on 26 November 2014 - 16:19
One of my besties is Indian but has a strong Scottish accent and I think she used to get a few odd reactions. Sometimes if she was telling her daughter off in the mall some women would look at her like "how dare that maid talk to the little girl like that" (her daughter looked more like her dad). Another time she had a car accident (not her fault) and the other driver (male and also Indian) was shouting at her and basically ignoring whatever she said. That lasted exactly the amount of time it took for her 6 foot plus, burly hubby to walk over from his workplace and then he was almost licking the ground at her feet. I doubt he would have tried it on had her skin been white. All in all though it wasn't too bad because she was well dressed, articulate, not afraid to get her point across and drove a kick ass car. The way you present yourself counts for a lot over here - be confident, look people in the eye, know that you're as good as them and don't let yourself get bullied.
Latest post on 24 November 2014 - 14:49
There may be random instances where people will assume you are Chinese- Chinese rather than another nationality. The majority of people from Asia (including Chinese) work in lower level jobs and some might assume the same of you based solely on appearance. Of course, this will change if they interact with you. You certainly won't be maltreated overtly. Usually it's a matter of incorrect assumptions being made based on the overall demographic.
Latest post on 23 November 2014 - 19:56
Thanks for your reply. To clarify, I am a Canadian of chinese ethnicity. Does the Canadian part make a difference? Thank you:)
Latest post on 23 November 2014 - 19:52
My neighbour and friend is Korean and she lives here with her daughter, no husband. She never reported me any problem and she is perfectly integrated. Nevertheless, my husband told me they had problems with organising a conference, as many women were denied having the visa for coming in Qatar, especially from China. A friend reported me that workers here without the family can't access shopping mall on Fridays, but it is an excuse because -as everywhere - racism is against poverty, not ethnicity. What racists really fear is poverty. If you have money in your pocket you can open many doors. And if you look around here in Doha, you will see that it is a "stratified society", and guess who are at the bottom? Hi Ladies Any non Caucasian ladies living in Doha who have experienced racism? I am considering moving to Doha with my Caucasian husband but have read some horror stories of asians( I think more south Asian) that have experienced racism such as denied entry into shopping malls and being mistaken as a prostitute. I am of chinese ethnicity. Any comments would be helpful Thank you!!!
Latest post on 23 November 2014 - 19:27
Hi Ladies Any non Caucasian ladies living in Doha who have experienced racism? I am considering moving to Doha with my Caucasian husband but have read some horror stories of asians( I think more south Asian) that have experienced racism such as denied entry into shopping malls and being mistaken as a prostitute. I am of chinese ethnicity. Any comments would be helpful Thank you!!!