Thanksgiving Turkey | ExpatWoman.com

Thanksgiving Turkey

Latest post on 29 November 2014 - 22:08
Thank You ladies... ended up finding a 9 kg turkey at Waitrose. And got a whole duck too! The turkey was a Jennie O turkey and I followed the butter herb recipe off their website, Turned out great! Also got a whole duck from waitrose and followed the hungry mouse.com recipe for whole duck, and that was fantastic! Thanks again for the advise and I hope my info helps anyone preparing a turkey or duck for the holidays. Bon Apetite!
Latest post on 28 November 2014 - 20:35
Norak, it came out sooo delicious!! I omitted the melted butter, and used some tips from the comments: used 2 whole eggs, increased the cinnamon and ginger, added ground nutmeg. I also used the whole can of pumpkin (didn't bother to measure out 2 cups!). Baked it until the surface just started to crack a little. Cooled on rack then put in fridge to set overnight.
Latest post on 28 November 2014 - 20:31
Apricot, how did your pumpkin pie turn out. Just took mine from the oven. Turkey tomorrow for me.
Latest post on 28 November 2014 - 20:24
Thanks Catawba KSE, I found and got the Fresh Selections pouch of fried onions at Spinneys Mercato :) Their head butcher, Peter, helped me order a fresh, certified zabiha turkey from France. On the day that I picked it up, Peter butterflied the turkey, removed and set aside the internal organs and excess neck skin, and chopped the back-bone into smaller pieces suitable for making turkey stock (to be used in turkey gravy!). To cook the turkey, I followed the instructions given on the Serious Eats website for "herb-rubbed crisp-skinned butterflied roast turkey", but increased the cooking time a tad bit to accommodate my guests' preferences (ie no pink bones!). The turkey was incredibly delicious!!!
Latest post on 26 November 2014 - 11:20
I have seen Frenchs fried onions recently at Lulu Al Barsha. <em>edited by Catawba KSE on 26/11/2014</em>
Latest post on 26 November 2014 - 11:18
Looking for an a 8 or 9 kg turkey if anyone happens to pass by one on there weekly shop. Park N Shop Green Community has big fresh ones. I just bought 11.5kg one.
Latest post on 26 November 2014 - 09:04
If anyone's still looking for their Thanksgiving turkeys, there are lots of frozen self-basting ones in Spinneys at the Town Centre. Sorry, I didn't check their weight but some of them looked quite on the large side to me :)
Latest post on 24 November 2014 - 22:24
Has anyone seen French's fried onions? How far in advance can you bake a pecan pie? An apple pie? Am gonna do my last round of grocery shopping for Thanksgiving tomorrow (frozen Brussels sprouts, green beans n carrots n celery n mushrooms, butter) and pick up the 5 kg fresh spatch-cocked turkey special-ordered at Spinneys. It's my first time hosting Thanksgiving dinner for a large group, roasting a turkey (last year I roasted a 2 kg chicken for my cousin and our kids), and most of the guests aren't familiar w the custom (safety net!!!). Very helpful tutorials on Serious Eats.
Latest post on 24 November 2014 - 21:27
Thank You ladies for your responses. I managed to find a 7kg at Spinneys today but need a bigger one:) Looking for an a 8 or 9 kg turkey if anyone happens to pass by one on there weekly shop. Its for a BIG group. Wish me luck... I will be turkey hunting around town tomorrow! LOL
Latest post on 24 November 2014 - 19:55
This is hardly going to help you but I just do a roast chicken. Organic French chicken so it's tasty. And easier than a turkey. I still make stuffing and vegetable sides and a pumpkin pie. Thanksgiving for us is just the family and DH has to work so I don't make a big deal or dinner out of the occasion.
Latest post on 24 November 2014 - 19:21
Jones the Grocer have a couple of options (http://www.mailoutinteractive.com/Industry/Home/6225/26390/629861/Turkey%20poster_A4%20mailout(1).pdf) I also had a message from Gallery Lafayette and from Room Service Deliveries, all doing ready made turkey thanksgiving meals.
Latest post on 24 November 2014 - 14:18
I've just received a message from the Ivy: "It's not too late to order your turkey hamper for Thanksgiving-simply ring reservations on 043198767 and let us 'take away' the stress of 'turkey day'! " HTH and Happy Thanksgiving bye ETA, No, I don't work for them. <em>edited by Kezzler on 24/11/2014</em>
Latest post on 24 November 2014 - 10:03
Park and shop jumeriah have fresh turkeys for thanksgiving !
Latest post on 24 November 2014 - 08:12
Anyone know where I can find a turkey or get a ready made turkey for thanksgiving dinner? Thanks In Advance:)

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY