Attest Documents | ExpatWoman.com

Attest Documents

Latest post on 24 November 2014 - 17:25

Hi all,

We are movning to Dubai at the end of Feb. A few questions for you all!

Could you tell me what the deal is with attesting documents like birth certificates, marriage certificates, education certficates? The process listed on expat woman seems very lengthly and scary! Is it ok to just get a lawyer to attest them?

How does it work woth hiring a car if I'm not working. Will it need to be in my husband's name?

Many thanks!

XXX

Latest post on 25 November 2014 - 06:07
Oops. I forgot to check agency. School run starts early for me here...6.30am so I will do it tonight. I'm not sure re driving licence...I think you can convert to UAE without any time period but not sure about hiring a car. Got a friend who works for one of the bigger companies, I will try to find out. I would also advise hiring an automatic which most are out here. The driving out here is "different" and driving an auto just makes it a tad easier. Looks like you need a licence for one year to hire a car. http://www.traveldubai.co.uk/carrental.htm <em>edited by Buddha on 25/11/2014</em>
Latest post on 25 November 2014 - 01:53
Thanks Buddha! I am getting a bit stressed about getting everything attested. I can't even find my degree certificate at the moment! I will have a look to see what agency fees are for this sort of thing. Good to know I can get straight on the road and hire a car for a bit until my residency visa comes through. Do you happen to know how long you have to have had a UK licence to hire a car in Dubai? My husband has only just passed (at the gand old age of 39!) so I'm thinking it might be an issue as he is relatively inexperienced.
Latest post on 24 November 2014 - 19:22
Looks like a lot of the old threads have disappeared. I will look out the agency I used when I get home tonight.
Latest post on 24 November 2014 - 19:14
It is not enough to have a lawyer attest them...they must go to several places ( can't remember exactly what they are but they are 3) I was so stressed re the move, winding up work in uk etc that I paid an agency to do them in Uk I..it cost me £297 to have both my degrees attested and stamps from various embassies. My DH actually did the kids birth certificates out here but took a lot of running about from embassy to embassy. If you are married you will also need your marriage certificate attested.. If you use search function on here you will find companies who do all this. So, you will need all your degrees attested, your husband will require his done, child's birth certificate attested and marriage certificate attested. I do know people who have done the process themselves but I believe comes close to £100 per document just doing oneself so prob easier to use an agency. It's worth checking as the prices vary tremendously. As I said I paid £297 for two degrees.....they did not charge for the transcripts to be done in addition to degree certs ( some companies will try to charge you for transcript attestation as well) When you are first out here you can only drive on your UK licence which means you can only hire a car. You can't drive your own car on a non UAE licence. Once you have ID card and residency you MUST get your UAE licence....it's illegal to drive on UK licence once you have UAE visa. Getting licence is an easy process but you will need your husband to write you a letter of permission. I still hire in my own name as we haven't yet got round to buying a car. Another piece of advice...get all your passport photos put on a disc - you will need loads and constantly be going to the kodak shop to get more printed. PS I think is aw you respond to a post about a job in RAK. It is commutable but it is about an hour or more from Dubai depending on where you are living. <em>edited by Buddha on 24/11/2014</em>

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY