RTA to increase taxi fare | ExpatWoman.com

RTA to increase taxi fare

Latest post on 01 December 2014 - 11:47
[i'>The new flag-down rate will increase from Dhs3 to Dhs5 during peak hours – from 7am to 10am and from 4pm to 8pm. The meter rates for booked cabs will also change from Dhs6 to Dhs8 during off-peak hours and from Dhs10 to Dh12 in peak periods. [/i'> I think it's ridiculous. Everything is increasing but salaries :) I totally agree with you, everything is increasing except salaries :-( :-( :-(
Latest post on 30 November 2014 - 08:49
I have used Careem a lot but decided to give Uber a try recently and was very disappointed. I highly recommend Careem, especially for any time-sensitive trips (airport, appointments, school drops/pick-ups), or harder-to-find places, or late at night... Anyone tried Uber? Never tried Uber as I heard bad reports about them. We always use Careem if we need to go out as the taxi's can never even find us in JVT ;) edited by Geordie expat on 25/11/2014
Latest post on 30 November 2014 - 08:24
"You can expect all drivers to have a good knowledge of the area" - what a joke!!
Latest post on 30 November 2014 - 00:57
They should focus on getting the drivers trained properly, as half of the drivers don't know where anywhere is, I took a taxi last time from Dubai Marina near Spinneys, asked to be driven to Internet city, and he did not know where it was and hence did not want to take us there, my hubby kind of flipped and told him that he will show him the way but still he did not want as he did not want to be driving around not knowing where he is going.... oh well..
Latest post on 27 November 2014 - 16:35
Just another tax...
Latest post on 27 November 2014 - 11:25
Who cares? i only use Taxis when my car is booked in for service..... They are driven by Ralp Schumacher inpersonators who haven't bathed in years and have no knowledge of Dubai.... who in their right mind would get in one if they had any form of alternative? That is the point - that for a lot of people, this is a necessity, not an option. So to increase fares with no changes to the service, with no alternatives being added, does hit the pocket for people who do rely on taxis for whatever reason.
Latest post on 27 November 2014 - 11:22
Who cares? i only use Taxis when my car is booked in for service..... They are driven by Ralp Schumacher inpersonators who haven't bathed in years and have no knowledge of Dubai.... who in their right mind would get in one if they had any form of alternative?
Latest post on 27 November 2014 - 08:37
I knew we were the minority here - we are the taxi going people though. The Asians tend to car pool or will walk 1 nile to catch a bus. Yes true.
Latest post on 27 November 2014 - 08:36
I knew we were the minority here - we are the taxi going people though. The Asians tend to car pool or will walk 1 nile to catch a bus. ETA Wiki says there are around 8000 cabs on DXB roads, and approx. 63000 westerners (residents) here. And tourists would be cab go-ers, as it hard to navigate here, even for residents. <em>edited by Londiamond on 27/11/2014</em>
Latest post on 27 November 2014 - 08:31
I agree Londiamond, for westerners the taxis may be cheaper than home, but here's the demographics of Dubai from 2013. [i'>Demographics of Dubai. The population of Dubai is 2,109,274. Approximately 85% of the expatriate population (and 71% of the emirate's total population) was Asian (chiefly Indian, Pakistani, Filipino, Bangladeshi and Sri Lankan). About 3% of the total population of Dubai was categorized as "Western".[/i'> So for a lot of the 85% Asian expat population, the 2 Dirhams per journey might not be so cheap. Only 3% Western, hmm that's interesting I never realised this. <em>edited by Alismum on 27/11/2014</em>
Latest post on 27 November 2014 - 07:55
Taxis are a luxury in western countries where one can walk, catch a train easily, or bus, and they are very structured (the transport systems). As they [cabs'> are a luxury, they are expensive. Cabs here are not. They are a necessity in a lot of areas to connect. And if it so becomes that the public transport is organized to the point that anywhere you are, you are within a 5 min walk (on pedestrian paths, not roads) to a public transport access point (HH's plan), then cab fare should increase. the # of cabs on the road should decrease, and the quality of the service should be improved (a lot). It is better than India and Pakistan, so I would not expect rates as low as there, however, it is still operated by people from those regions, and I for one would prefer less cabs and higher prices, for drivers who know the roads and landmarks well, who drive properly, who have had a shower, who have not worked extensive hours, in clean vehicles, than a zillion cabs with new off the land of India or Pakistan who know nothing. And then it'd be worth paying extra for. (As if you take it at this point, when the public transport and pedestrian system is a quality standard, then you are doing it for the luxury of ease, so your choice, not a necessity to travel). For now, it is still not a luxury, so price increases are not easily understood. Especially with low petrol prices, and low wages. <em>edited by Londiamond on 27/11/2014</em>
Latest post on 26 November 2014 - 23:27
Why do people keep forgetting Dubai is not a European/American city. The reason we all are spoilt here is that we can afford these luxuries, if the fares/prices keep increasing then life would be the same as that in cities without these luxuries. Also don't forget the region, Taxis are cheaper in neighbouring countries like India Pakistan and others and when tourists from these countries come to Dubai, they find taxis very expensive. Ofcourse they can use alternate transport but there are limited route options.
Latest post on 25 November 2014 - 16:43
Taxis are soooo cheap !!! If you find Dubai expensive you will really struggle to live in other countries especially in the western world. I'm a New Yorker so I got that down and know that taxis are cheap comparable to other countries but Dubai is NOT New York City. Other countries offer much more. as AnonDubai mentioned: [i'>The make up of these cities is entirely different in all ways.[/i'> This country is beautiful but lacking in many areas and if I have to pay extra then it would be nice that taxi drivers are trained and not always take the long route.
Latest post on 25 November 2014 - 16:35
Taxis are soooo cheap !!! If you find Dubai expensive you will really struggle to live in other countries especially in the western world. They all know where they are going though and aren't texting whilst done 120km on SZR :lol:
Latest post on 25 November 2014 - 16:23
Taxis are soooo cheap !!! If you find Dubai expensive you will really struggle to live in other countries especially in the western world.
Latest post on 25 November 2014 - 16:06
As a European we are used to walk, bicylcle and whatever in rain and snow. that's truth but here in Dubai sometimes it's impossible to reach some places without car. I try to avoid taxi - I feel not safe with their drivers and second reason - it's very annoying when I should show all way to driver because they have no idea where is it ,they have no GPS or map.
Latest post on 25 November 2014 - 15:59
Fair enough, taxis here are extremely cheap and so many other options of transport are available. As a European we are used to walk, bicylcle and whatever in rain and snow. When I was last in the UK I offered a taxi driver a fortune to give us a lift home. It was 1am, freezing cold and the taxi queue was 40 people deep. I for one don't mind the increase in fares as it is preferable to standing in the freezing cold at 1am ( [b'>We are so spoilt here[/b'>) :-) Don't say that as next thing you know, they will be upping something else. Guinness was only asking last week, why the metro has gone up since predominantly lower income workers are using it, since she said that, taxis have also gone up..... and no doubt there will be more. As cheap as it may be (to some of us), all these extras add up. edited by Alismum on 25/11/2014 I should edit that to say I am spoilt. I rarely use metros or cabs but see your point regarding the lower income workers on the metro x I was just saying that in case there are decision makers reading EW (one never knows ) ;).
Latest post on 25 November 2014 - 15:51
Fair enough, taxis here are extremely cheap and so many other options of transport are available. As a European we are used to walk, bicylcle and whatever in rain and snow. When I was last in the UK I offered a taxi driver a fortune to give us a lift home. It was 1am, freezing cold and the taxi queue was 40 people deep. I for one don't mind the increase in fares as it is preferable to standing in the freezing cold at 1am ( [b'>We are so spoilt here[/b'>) :-) Don't say that as next thing you know, they will be upping something else. Guinness was only asking last week, why the metro has gone up since predominantly lower income workers are using it, since she said that, taxis have also gone up..... and no doubt there will be more. As cheap as it may be (to some of us), all these extras add up. edited by Alismum on 25/11/2014 I should edit that to say I am spoilt. I rarely use metros or cabs but see your point regarding the lower income workers on the metro x
Latest post on 25 November 2014 - 15:49
Fair enough, taxis here are extremely cheap and so many other options of transport are available. As a European we are used to walk, bicylcle and whatever in rain and snow. When I was last in the UK I offered a taxi driver a fortune to give us a lift home. It was 1am, freezing cold and the taxi queue was 40 people deep. I for one don't mind the increase in fares as it is preferable to standing in the freezing cold at 1am ( [b'>We are so spoilt here[/b'>) :-) Don't say that as next thing you know, they will be upping something else. Guinness was only asking last week, why the metro has gone up since predominantly lower income workers are using it, since she said that, taxis have also gone up..... and no doubt there will be more. As cheap as it may be (to some of us), all these extras add up. <em>edited by Alismum on 25/11/2014</em>
Latest post on 25 November 2014 - 15:44
Fair enough, taxis here are extremely cheap and so many other options of transport are available. As a European we are used to walk, bicylcle and whatever in rain and snow. When I was last in the UK I offered a taxi driver a fortune to give us a lift home. It was 1am, freezing cold and the taxi queue was 40 people deep. I for one don't mind the increase in fares as it is preferable to standing in the freezing cold at 1am ( We are so spoilt here) :-)
Latest post on 25 November 2014 - 11:33
Still pennies to take as opposed to their cost in England. Does not mean it is not noticeable that the price will increase. If service quality did it would be good. If a booked taxi arrived it would be fantastic too. Anyone tried Uber? Have you seen all the scandals related to Uber? No! I heard the name the other day for the first time and thought it might be a new one. Dare I google it? I like Caraeem locally and Ghazal to go interstate. Taxis are fine at certain hours (non peak hours) as the drivers are apparently normal-er at those hours it would appear... however not at peak hour or at night.
Latest post on 25 November 2014 - 11:02
Just consider taxi a luxury then, and indulge in it as less as possible... :) ...
Latest post on 25 November 2014 - 10:52
But you all are missing the point. The RTA has announced big increases in most of its services in the past month - what does that say about the state of its finances? edited by Guinness2 on 25/11/2014 RTA is paying for all the road works in Dubai, plus the tram and metro construction. Taxis here are still far, far cheaper than most countries with a similar road infrastructure (or dare I say it, poorer road infrastructure such as the UK). As with all other fees here, I just consider higher transport costs (eg salik/ taxi fees) as in lieu of income tax. Usually major road construction/ infrastructure projects are funded through the government budget, which in turn is funded (partly) by income/ sales/ corporate and other taxes.
Latest post on 25 November 2014 - 10:29
The vast majority of office workers here get less than 15k a month and I am being generous. With the cost of housing eating away anything from 20-50% of someone's income, a round trip taxi commute of 40km (hardly too much for a spread out city like Dubai) means spending roughly 2k a month on taxis. In many private companies, accounts people get 5-8k and secretaries get 3-4k. Is the average salary in Amsterdam for such workers really as low as 10-15,000 Euros a year? Sorry, but you are confusing. First 15k a month, than 5-8/3-4. That's a big difference. An average Dutch income is 2500€ before, 1800€ after income tax a month. Even the few people who earn double that income cannot afford taxis on a regular basis. Taxis in Dubai are dead cheap. The thing about Amsterdam is that there is the option to ride bikes to work. Taxis are only used by tourists. But you all are missing the point. The RTA has announced big increases in most of its services in the past month - what does that say about the state of its finances? <em>edited by Guinness2 on 25/11/2014</em>
Latest post on 25 November 2014 - 10:28
Still pennies to take as opposed to their cost in England. Does not mean it is not noticeable that the price will increase. If service quality did it would be good. If a booked taxi arrived it would be fantastic too. Anyone tried Uber? Have you seen all the scandals related to Uber?
Latest post on 25 November 2014 - 10:27
The vast majority of office workers here get less than 15k a month and I am being generous. With the cost of housing eating away anything from 20-50% of someone's income, a round trip taxi commute of 40km (hardly too much for a spread out city like Dubai) means spending roughly 2k a month on taxis. In many private companies, accounts people get 5-8k and secretaries get 3-4k. Is the average salary in Amsterdam for such workers really as low as 10-15,000 Euros a year? Sorry, but you are confusing. First 15k a month, than 5-8/3-4. That's a big difference. An average Dutch income is 2500€ before, 1800€ after income tax a month. Even the few people who earn double that income cannot afford taxis on a regular basis. Taxis in Dubai are dead cheap.
Latest post on 25 November 2014 - 10:01
Still pennies to take as opposed to their cost in England. Does not mean it is not noticeable that the price will increase. If service quality did it would be good. If a booked taxi arrived it would be fantastic too. Anyone tried Uber? Never tried Uber as I heard bad reports about them. We always use Careem if we need to go out as the taxi's can never even find us in JVT ;) edited by Geordie expat on 25/11/2014 We also use careem now. Much more reliable & at least they all know where they are going. Plus I don't feel safe in Dubai taxi anymore. The amount of times I've been in one and had the driver nearly falling asleep at the wheel.
Latest post on 25 November 2014 - 09:56
The majority of "white collar office workers" in Amsterdam get paid no more than here. AND they pay 30-40% income tax. They cannot afford to ride taxis and therefor ride their bikes to work. In many private companies, accounts people get 5-8k and secretaries get 3-4k. Is the average salary in Amsterdam for such workers really as low as 10-15,000 Euros a year?
Latest post on 25 November 2014 - 09:35
We really cannot be comparing Dubai and Amsterdam. The make up of these cities is entirely different in all ways...
Latest post on 25 November 2014 - 09:19
Still pennies to take as opposed to their cost in England. Does not mean it is not noticeable that the price will increase. If service quality did it would be good. If a booked taxi arrived it would be fantastic too. Anyone tried Uber? Never tried Uber as I heard bad reports about them. We always use Careem if we need to go out as the taxi's can never even find us in JVT ;) <em>edited by Geordie expat on 25/11/2014</em>

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY