Driving licence | ExpatWoman.com

Driving licence

Latest post on 24 November 2014 - 22:19

We're moving to Dubai in January and I want to be driving ASAP. I currently have a UK and a Qatari driving licence. Can I drive on either of these temporarily whilst on a Tourist Visa? If not, can I apply for a temporary UAE licence to use until RP is processed or do I need an International Drivers Licence? Thanks in advance.

Latest post on 30 August 2015 - 23:29
My British visitor has just hired a car from Hertz and only needed his UK License. No mention of International License. DD hired a car on her UK licence too. I think they say international licence as standard but accept most licences that are written in English.
Latest post on 30 August 2015 - 22:39
My British visitor has just hired a car from Hertz and only needed his UK License. No mention of International License.
Latest post on 30 August 2015 - 19:55
Hi Sarahlou, yes I agree, such a grey area here. however having read the post this morning we rang and double checked again and were told definitely ok, third party only mind you, and this was RSA?! So suspect it is still a confusing picture! Very curious we are with RSA and def told DD could NOT drive private car on visit visa. See copy of their response and my original query Dear *** As per ministry, visiting visa holder can not drive a personal car. But rent a car is allowed to drive as long as she is having international driving license. Once she got resident visa, can convert her UK driving license here and start the driving. Thanks & Regards Dear Antony, Can you advise me as to wether our daughter aged 27 visiting Dubai, currently on a UAE visit visa from UK can drive our cars on her UK licence. Please advise me on procedure needed to facilitate this if it is possible. Your assistance in this matter would be greatly appreciated. Kind regards
Latest post on 30 August 2015 - 18:30
Completely agree GE
Latest post on 30 August 2015 - 17:50
Hi Sarahlou, yes I agree, such a grey area here. however having read the post this morning we rang and double checked again and were told definitely ok, third party only mind you, and this was RSA?! So suspect it is still a confusing picture! I still wouldn't risk it as the police could take an entirely different point of view if anything did happen. Also you could ring again tomorrow and get a completely different story.
Latest post on 30 August 2015 - 17:46
Hi Sarahlou, yes I agree, such a grey area here. however having read the post this morning we rang and double checked again and were told definitely ok, third party only mind you, and this was RSA?! So suspect it is still a confusing picture!
Latest post on 30 August 2015 - 16:29
I'm not entirely sure this is correct, we have our DS and DD both insured on our private cars even though they come in on visit visas. We obviously asked and made sure that was okay and it was confirmed to us by the insurance company that it is fine, so they both drive here on UK licenses. It is a very grey area as many insurers say no and some say yes, the same goes for the RTA If heaven forbid they had a bump then many insurers have said they won't pay out. RSA who I insure with said no as did the RTA when I registered my car. If your insurers verbally said yes I would get it in writing as extra protection, many tell you one thing on the phone and the reality is very different.
Latest post on 30 August 2015 - 16:23
It depends who you speak to you (insurance/Police/RTA) and this is a very grey area. Personally given blood money etc, I'd err on the side of caution and NOT drive until you have your UAE license in place unless it is a hire car, when you are on a visit visa using your home country license. Also: You can no longer transfer your license until you have original ID card (they no longer accept the paper with the bar code)
Latest post on 30 August 2015 - 13:32
I'm not entirely sure this is correct, we have our DS and DD both insured on our private cars even though they come in on visit visas. We obviously asked and made sure that was okay and it was confirmed to us by the insurance company that it is fine, so they both drive here on UK licenses.
Latest post on 30 August 2015 - 12:26
Def can't drive a private car on foreign licence/tourist visa. We double and triple checked with our insurance. DD stayed with us for three months and we had to hire her a car, very frustrating and costly as I had just had knee surgery and couldn't drive so my car didn't move out of its parking space for almost three months and she had to ferry me around in a hire car.
Latest post on 30 August 2015 - 12:22
I totally feel your pain! We own a car and I can't drive it until all my paperwork is done and get a UAE license. It is frustrating as the car is just sitting in the garage while my DH is away traveling for business. I am using the metro and taxis to get around. Best advice I can give is to just be patient and focus on the things that are getting accomplished :o) Best of luck to you!
Latest post on 30 August 2015 - 12:10
Ok thanks. That just makes no sense to me! We have bought a car but I cannot drive it but can pay to hire one which I can drive?! *headache*
Latest post on 30 August 2015 - 12:08
Hi NIrshjen, You can drive using your UK driving license as long as you are on a tourist visa. Once your RP is processed you will have to exchange it for a UAE driving license. We have all the info about the process of exchanging your driving license - just click this [url=http://www.expatwoman.com/dubai/monthly_faqs_drivers_license_dubai_5095.aspx'>link[/url'>. HTH EW Admin Hi. I know this post is almost a year old but I didn't want to start a new thread when the info is here. That link is useful, thank you! Can I just check something.. My husband has his working/residents VISA and his UAE driving licence so he can drive the car we have bought. I am still on a visitor VISA and have my UK licence, he seems to think I [u'>cannot[/u'> drive the car we have bought without a UAE licence; but that I can [u'>rent[/u'> a car with my UK licence. My paperwork has not started to go through yet to go onto his VISA, so I am still a [b'>visitor[/b'>. Our car is insured, so I don't see why I cannot drive it when I have a valid UK licence? Some people have told us I can drive my/our car up until the paperwork starts to go through; others have said I can only drive a rental at the moment. If you know, or know how I can find out for definite, I would be very much grateful! We are living in Abu Dhabi if that makes any difference?! Thank you! Nicola x He is right. With a UK licence you can only drive a hire car until your paperwork goes through and then you need to get yourself a UAE one straight away.
Latest post on 30 August 2015 - 12:01
Hi NIrshjen, You can drive using your UK driving license as long as you are on a tourist visa. Once your RP is processed you will have to exchange it for a UAE driving license. We have all the info about the process of exchanging your driving license - just click this [url=http://www.expatwoman.com/dubai/monthly_faqs_drivers_license_dubai_5095.aspx'>link[/url'>. HTH EW Admin Hi. I know this post is almost a year old but I didn't want to start a new thread when the info is here. That link is useful, thank you! Can I just check something.. My husband has his working/residents VISA and his UAE driving licence so he can drive the car we have bought. I am still on a visitor VISA and have my UK licence, he seems to think I [u'>cannot[/u'> drive the car we have bought without a UAE licence; but that I can [u'>rent[/u'> a car with my UK licence. My paperwork has not started to go through yet to go onto his VISA, so I am still a [b'>visitor[/b'>. Our car is insured, so I don't see why I cannot drive it when I have a valid UK licence? Some people have told us I can drive my/our car up until the paperwork starts to go through; others have said I can only drive a rental at the moment. If you know, or know how I can find out for definite, I would be very much grateful! We are living in Abu Dhabi if that makes any difference?! Thank you! Nicola x
Latest post on 25 November 2014 - 09:22
Hi NIrshjen, You can drive using your UK driving license as long as you are on a tourist visa. Once your RP is processed you will have to exchange it for a UAE driving license. We have all the info about the process of exchanging your driving license - just click this [url=http://www.expatwoman.com/dubai/monthly_faqs_drivers_license_dubai_5095.aspx'>link[/url'>. HTH EW Admin
Latest post on 24 November 2014 - 22:35
If you have a British passport you can exchange your UK driving licence for a UAE one. You must do this as soon as you get your residence permit. Until then you are fine to drive a rental car on your UK license I believe.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY