Postpartum hypothyroidism | ExpatWoman.com

Postpartum hypothyroidism

Latest post on 26 November 2014 - 09:03
I had post partum hypothyroid diagnosed 12 years ago. Got diagnosed late as I kept putting the weight gain and blues to post partum. Symptoms were the classic ones....weight gain, feeling hot and old, memory lapses, general slowing down of physical and mental faculties (including metabolism...thus the weight gain). It was when I actually started slurring a bit that was forced to go see a doc. Bad news is that it never really goes away I think...good news is that it can be managed. One has to find their ideal level of tsh...it can be anywhere within the 'normal range'. Mine is around 1.5 to 2. However hairloss continues to be tragic. Get your Vit D checked also. good luck. pls see a good doctor. there are alternate medicines (Armour). Dr Amal Tayyeb comes highly recommended.
Latest post on 25 November 2014 - 15:26
I am hypothyroid, diagnosed this year...but very likely have been for years I think. My weight and severe exhaustion were the clues. I was tested after my daughter was born, negative. Tested about a year ago negative, and then re tested again 9 months ago...same negative for most of my TSH, T3 and T4 results but my thyroid antibodies test came back as high which meant I have hashimotos I now take 100mg levothyroxine. I would urge you to learn a bit about the tests before seeing a dr, if you are prepared to travel I highly recommend dr Bland at. Healthbay poly clinic in uptown Mirdif. He actually listened to how I was feeling and ran far more tests than any other dr did hence why he found the issue! Please do read up on the levels and learn about it so you know what your results mean.
Latest post on 25 November 2014 - 07:22
Has anyone had this? What were the symptons and did it go away by itself? I am wondering if I may have this right now. I lost a lot of my pregnancy weight in the weeks after delivery, I then started to put it back on and I put this down to breastfeeding and eating more and figured once I stopped my appetite would normalise and weight would drop off slowly. I stopped breastfeeding when my little girl was around 5 months (now almost 7months) and my appetite went back to normal and I am eating pretty much what I did before pregnancy but not as super healthy as I have the odd cheat day/meal, I am not working out as much because I am having to go really slowly as I each time I have tried to get back into my usual gym activities, I injur myself (problems with my feet, knee, back...feel like my body is falling apart!) so I am just mainly walking and doing some core exercises daily. Yet I cannot shift any weight, I am just stuck there. I usually lose weight quite quickly, just make a few changes to my diet, but I am losing motivation really easily when I am being super duper healthy and I am still the same weight, it is just not moving AT ALL! I feel tired alot, yet my baby is an excellent sleeper and she sleeps though 7pm - 6am and has done from 3 months, but even as a newborn she slept in 5/6 hour blocks at night. I can only think there is something else happening with my body. I know I should go and have some tests, which I will, but just looking to hear about other people's experiences with this and if it was resolved to give me some hope as I am so fed up. None of my clothes fit, I refuse to buy more at the size I am now, as I feel like I am accepting this is my weight!

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY