Renters - a quick survey | ExpatWoman.com

Renters - a quick survey

Latest post on 01 December 2014 - 12:32
Stay where i am - LL is lovely, hasn't put my rent up since i moved in and i dont envisage him doing so in the near future. He wants less cheques and i am happy to oblige, as i am just about able to manage 2 :)
Latest post on 01 December 2014 - 09:38
I will be moving. My building has gone up by 30k per year and the older buildings across the street are 20k more. In all my years in Dubai ( including the boom time) I never paid more than 80k a year for an apartment so I refuse to now I will move further out to areas that are cheaper
Latest post on 01 December 2014 - 09:22
We will decide when our lease is up but atm it looks as though we will stay. Although we could do with a bigger place, we have a very reasonable rent here so moving would mean a considerable hike in the current market. Plus we are actually very happy with our apt, location, facilities and the fact that staying enables us to save.
Latest post on 01 December 2014 - 01:14
It seems to me that many people are downsizing - from villas to apartments, from nicer areas to cheaper areas, bigger villas to smaller villas. But maybe I'm wrong so, When your rent is due, will you move to a bigger place, a smaller place or stay in the same place? For now I am staying.....3 months already and didn't pay a penny to landlord due to dispute in rent committee. Lolz...I wish it to last forever :lol: edited by rose717 on 01/12/2014 <em>edited by rose717 on 01/12/2014</em>
Latest post on 26 November 2014 - 16:05
Our rent went up two consecutive years and while we would like to move to somewhere cheaper (and we have looked), we realize we have it quite good in our present place: location, amenities, utility bill, AND great neighbours. We're staying another year but have the feeling we'll stay another year after that and another after that.
Latest post on 26 November 2014 - 14:48
As most people said.. it all depends on condition... i agree that keeping the cost of moving in mind it is better to pay the hike in rent... unless the difference is drastic... don't foresee any such need in near future but with Dubai you never know...!!
Latest post on 26 November 2014 - 10:46
We have just renewed lease with a 40% increase - for a number of reasons we were stuck between a rock and a hard place in terms of whether to move or not - we don't need the space we currently have but even with downsizing to a smaller number of bedrooms the costs of moving versus the relatively small amount we would save in rent didn't make it worth our while this year. We will probably downsize next year (and also lose the pool we have that sits unused for 11 months of the year!)
Latest post on 26 November 2014 - 09:48
I am OK with where I am if the LL doesn't increase the rent for next year. If he does I will have to look at other options-which are not many - not many small units are dog friendly here.. :(
Latest post on 26 November 2014 - 09:04
We will def be forced to downsize, moving further out. Should have done it last year but due to health issues/visitors etc couldn't do it then. Rents going crazy, no wage or allowance increases in 6 years means our standard of living/saving potential has dropped significantly over recent years. I think the writing is on the wall that we won't be here that much longer. The reasons for being here are quickly being eroded so it might be time to dust off the packing boxes and suitcases a lot sooner than we'd hoped.
Latest post on 26 November 2014 - 08:21
One would like to think one would move in a bigger place, better locality... but all depends on circumstances... but definitely not downsizing on the lifestyle at the moment... !
Latest post on 26 November 2014 - 07:53
We will probably stay where we are.
Latest post on 25 November 2014 - 21:46
Hi We are four months into our first lease and my husband and I were having this exact debate last night. My feeling is that I would like to move to somewhere cheaper, out of our small villa and into an apartment. He on the other hand would be happy to stay for another year. Why? For me it is not just the rent but the outgoings. We have a pool and the costs are horrendous! So either we don't heat/cool and can't swim 6 months a year or we heat/cool and pay the hideous electricity costs! Either way I cant see us staying more than two years in a villa...
Latest post on 25 November 2014 - 19:09
I'm thinking to move for bigger place next year - I'm not working every day , so for me not a problem to drive
Latest post on 25 November 2014 - 19:03
It's good to get different responses to such a question but it's difficult to give definite answers as it would all depend on circumstances at the time. If our income and rent remain the same we will stay, if income remains the same and we see a slight increase we will probably also stay, for anything else we would look at other options to see what works best for us.
Latest post on 25 November 2014 - 18:05
We are currently in a 1 bedroom apartment and we will move to a 2 bedroom when our rent is up.
Latest post on 25 November 2014 - 17:56
It seems to me that many people are downsizing - from villas to apartments, from nicer areas to cheaper areas, bigger villas to smaller villas. But maybe I'm wrong so, When your rent is due, will you move to a bigger place, a smaller place or stay in the same place?

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY