What the heck is with my maid? | ExpatWoman.com

What the heck is with my maid?

Latest post on 25 November 2014 - 17:57

We have a maid who comes to clean our 1 bedroom once a week for 2 hours.

Because the company I use doesn't do 1 hour slots I had to go with 2 hours and I always leave a note to say "If you have any time left over, please iron the shirts I have left out"

To begin with she wouldn't iron the shirts, so I rang and asked what is taking so long that she doesn't have any time left over, and apparently it's because she scrubs the oven trays and the balcony sometimes takes a long time. So I said, well do the balcony once every other week and don't worry about the oven trays, I'll do them myself.

So everything was going OK...she sometimes did iron 2 or 3 shirts, but most of the time she didn't, so I've still wondered what she's been doing??

However today, because our drawers and cupboards are in a bit of a mess, I booked her for 3 hours and left a note to say "Please do the usual clean (minus balcony) for 2 hours, then remaining hour spend on tidying drawers and cupboards"

I come home to find that she's not mopped the floor, not made the sofa, not dusted/wiped the surfaces, not cleaned the toilet properly (I swear she just uses the bog brush and gives it a bit of a wipe because it's never white-white) and only 2 drawers (my PJ bottoms and my husband's trousers) have been folded.

How has she done LESS with MORE time?!

Clearly I need a new maid from a company with high standards, because this is ridiculous.

Plus, I don't mean to make myself out as a saint, but I know these girls get paid very little, so husband and I give her AED 100 a month extra as a tip, thinking that would spur her on to do a good job. Well more fool us! Perhaps it's had the opposite effect!

Latest post on 27 November 2014 - 12:17
Don't tip her unless she has proved her self. What motivate her is that you mention you will give her a mini cash motivation end of the month if she keeps the place in tip top condition. otherwise, off with her head!
Latest post on 27 November 2014 - 11:05
On a Friday it takes me over an hour sometimes two to tidy up the kitchen and freshen place up when my maid is off, and the place is been cleaned all week. It does take time but if you're not happy perhaps change companies, pay a bit more for more hours and insist one hour or two of ironing. Be clear of you expectations to the company, not by leaving notes for the maid. It not worth getting annoyed with it just change company, an extra 100aed a week may change the whole situation.
Latest post on 26 November 2014 - 16:15
I cleaned my wardrobe this weekend and it took hours. 3 would not have been nearly enough. To get a closet sorted if clothes need to be ironed. If wo peoples clones need ironing, and they wear beyond cotton tees and they have a reasonable selection of clothing each, then 4 hrs, at least - only doing that, not doing any other thing concurrently (i.e. floors, kitchen bathrooms etc.). .
Latest post on 26 November 2014 - 16:11
OP, have you ever timed yourself to clean your apartment from top to bottom, how long does it take you? Just keep changing maids/companies until you find someone you are happy with. It's like a lottery. :dog:
Latest post on 26 November 2014 - 14:38
In the past I've found it better to talk with a maid face to face as I know of some who can't read English or can't read English very well, it's easier to speak to them. Even if you are in the first time so you can meet them and see how they work.. I'm sure Helping Hand Maid agency don't have a minimum time. <em>edited by cafelatte on 26/11/2014</em>
Latest post on 26 November 2014 - 14:33
If you live in Marina or around, I'd recommend Molly Maid. Think you can ask for the same girl to be sent every time. They do a really good job. Only downside is they also have a 2hr minimum.
Latest post on 26 November 2014 - 08:31
I hired a maid once and couldn't take it after 2 days... haven't had one since then... as i am home and active dont really need one that badly thank god... she was a nightmare... i was grinding my teeth all the time she was here... maybe i am too demanding... it was not easy to see someone cleaning my house the wrong way (see, only my way is the right way.. :) )
Latest post on 26 November 2014 - 08:11
Sounds like you live in marina or like....when i lived there i used home maids...its a hit and miss but maryvick was good. 2 hours everything done. I use dubai houskeeping now recommended by beebers...but they do min 4 hours so not good for you. Thankyou to beebers for my new maid..love her!
Latest post on 25 November 2014 - 23:02
You are not there because you are at work or because you don't want to be in her space whilst cleaning? Depending on the circumstances there is more than one way to deal with this situation. Not there because I'm at work. And my maid is the same every week as I request her. She was actually named and recommended by someone here on expatwoman! That's how I found her, ha! Well, anyway, I phoned them and asked to try and work with another maid. Naturally they asked me what the problem was and I didn't tell them the whole story. I told them she's just not consistent enough for me i.e. Some days she does a great job, other days she doesn't do quite major parts of cleaning and it's starting to bother me. I don't want to get the poor girl in trouble, but I had to say something! If new maid doesn't work out then I will go to another company altogether, most likely one of the ones suggested in this thread, so thanks for suggestions. And Tallybalt thanks so much for the idea! I will definitely make sure that new maid's first few visits are on the weekend, so I can be sure to see what she's done, and then when she's finally doing it to my standard (which isn't ridiculous high, btw! Honest!) I can put the shift back to a weekday :) <em>edited by poshbird87 on 25/11/2014</em>
Latest post on 25 November 2014 - 22:36
We use Home Safe, our maid has been amazing, she comes twice a week for 4 hours, works so quickly and thoroughly and needs very little direction. She also speaks very good English, the company is British run and the owner came out with her the first time she came. Very happy with them all round, would definitely recommend!
Latest post on 25 November 2014 - 20:41
It may not be the same maid. The cleaning agencies don't always send the same maids each time. We use a cleaning agency when our FT maid is on her annual holiday and I do have to watch them each time they come to make sure they do the work I want them to do. Why not reschedule for a time slot during the weekend? You can greet the maid when she arrives, leave your instructions and go out for coffee or errands and return before the two hours are up so you can check on her work. If ironing is important, make it clear that the ironing should be done first, before any other tasks. <em>edited by Tallybalt on 25/11/2014</em>
Latest post on 25 November 2014 - 19:54
No I've never been able to be here whilst she's cleaned... Because we're in such small surroundings, I'd feel a bit awkward about just sitting there whilst she cleaned around me :-/ Is it that silly? Should I be that bothered? Some people feel awkward; if I recall there was a thread on here dedicated that topic. My DH was here the first time to point out a few specific things, but otherwise, we just nip out when she comes to stay out of the way. The service we use is Dubai Housekeeping and we are really pleased with the work as well as the management.
Latest post on 25 November 2014 - 18:58
Were you able to be there during her first clean? We got really lucky our first shot, our girl is serious business when she comes in. Like Stix says, it is a **** shoot, and if you are home, you may be able to suss out the potential. ETA: I guess I should have said "roll of the dice," I wasn't cursing! edited by Beebers on 25/11/2014 No I've never been able to be here whilst she's cleaned... Because we're in such small surroundings, I'd feel a bit awkward about just sitting there whilst she cleaned around me :-/ Is it that silly? Should I be that bothered? You are not there because you are at work or because you don't want to be in her space whilst cleaning? Depending on the circumstances there is more than one way to deal with this situation.
Latest post on 25 November 2014 - 18:25
Were you able to be there during her first clean? We got really lucky our first shot, our girl is serious business when she comes in. Like Stix says, it is a **** shoot, and if you are home, you may be able to suss out the potential. ETA: I guess I should have said "roll of the dice," I wasn't cursing! edited by Beebers on 25/11/2014 No I've never been able to be here whilst she's cleaned... Because we're in such small surroundings, I'd feel a bit awkward about just sitting there whilst she cleaned around me :-/ Is it that silly? Should I be that bothered?
Latest post on 25 November 2014 - 18:23
Not wishing to be pessimistic but my experiences with contract cleaners was never ending trial and error, but I do know of a few people who are happy with their contract maids, one agency recommended to me lately by a friend is Sky Maids, she was very pleased with the agency and has used them for many years, I did not get to try them so maybe worth it who knows!
Latest post on 25 November 2014 - 18:22
I had a gem once from The Home Team. However the maid part of the company went under and they wouldn't tell me where my maid went. So gutted as she was fab :( Can anyone please recommend me a company or a maid in particular?
Latest post on 25 November 2014 - 18:19
Were you able to be there during her first clean? We got really lucky our first shot, our girl is serious business when she comes in. Like Stix says, it is a **** shoot, and if you are home, you may be able to suss out the potential. ETA: I guess I should have said "roll of the dice," I wasn't cursing! <em>edited by Beebers on 25/11/2014</em>
Latest post on 25 November 2014 - 18:09
I'm home when my maid comes and I assure you - they don't seem to work at lightening speed! I have her change my bed linen and honestly, it's like she's sewing new sheets in there!! Request a new maid, or move on to a new company - it's trial and error until you find a gem.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY