Maldives | ExpatWoman.com

Maldives

Latest post on 03 March 2015 - 19:38
I'm also following! Looking for the same as SalsB in terms of wanting to be close to Male, but also a must is that it's all inclusive and kid friendly as our LO will be 14 / 15 months when we want to go in Nov or Dec. Bandos looks amazing but sadly don't seem to have availability over our dates :-(
Latest post on 03 March 2015 - 13:56
Depends on your budget www.meeru.com is 1hr away by boat, so look at the map and that radius and you will be OK. Advice re the boats - if you can afford to pay an extra amount per person (to Meeru it used to $100 per person each way), book a private transfer. Otherwise you may be waiting at the airport for a long time, as you wait for other flights to land - everyone might then be transported on a bigger boat together. I prefer to book the private transfer as I get off the plane and after baggage Im straight on the boat and arrive at the island ASAP! All islands have amazing reefs and great snorkeling but the best I found was at Centara - less than a year old I think so not as lush but the resort is first class. If you want less new, a little older but more traditional then head to Bandos - the best bit about the older islands is that the sand is pure pure soft - the newer islands or the ones who are reclaiming due to erosion, pump the sand from the seabed and the sand is full of sharp coral - so for beach, privacy and traditionalness AND right next to the airport (but far enough away), its Bandos. However, honestly, I used to live there, you cant go wrong on any of them, its mostly down to the people who work there, and Ive rarely met anyone that bad! if youre looking for top notch - Amilafushi or Huvafenfushi. Im so jealous ....... :)
Latest post on 03 March 2015 - 00:19
look up One & Only hotel
Latest post on 28 February 2015 - 15:45
Really depends on budget as the prices vary a lot and Feb is peak season price wise. Baros is a very good resort close to Male. A bit further afield you have Kandolhu that only has 30 villas on the island. For adults only then Komandoo (highly recommend) and Maafushivaru are the only 2 (over 18s). Can recommend Constance Moofushi for a really nice mid-priced resort that is all inclusive. All the resorts I've mentioned are renowned for good snorkelling, except Moofushi which is just ok. If house reef is important, the best are the Park Hyatt, Robinson Club and Mirihi. Kandolhu isn't far behind with Athuruga too. Sorry to bump up thread but I absolutely, with unequivocable doubt, second Baros (pre Tsunami wipeout and rebuild). We had one of the water bungalows for 3 weeks and cannot tell others enough that it is the best holiday I have ever had.
Latest post on 02 December 2014 - 17:45
Really depends on budget as the prices vary a lot and Feb is peak season price wise. Baros is a very good resort close to Male. A bit further afield you have Kandolhu that only has 30 villas on the island. For adults only then Komandoo (highly recommend) and Maafushivaru are the only 2 (over 18s). Can recommend Constance Moofushi for a really nice mid-priced resort that is all inclusive. All the resorts I've mentioned are renowned for good snorkelling, except Moofushi which is just ok. If house reef is important, the best are the Park Hyatt, Robinson Club and Mirihi. Kandolhu isn't far behind with Athuruga too.
Latest post on 02 December 2014 - 02:58
Stayed on full moon island, small island, good for snorkelling, and quiet. 20minufes from Mali so it's a speedboat trip away which I wanted as we took our 4 children and in the event of needing to get to the main island in a hurry I wanted to be close by. The pool was lovely, food good and the villas were nice. They had beach bungalows and water bungalows.
Latest post on 02 December 2014 - 02:27
I'm also looking for the end of Feb. there are so many to choose from. We only want an island close to Male. So will be following the thread.
Latest post on 01 December 2014 - 16:32
Afternoon all!! I'm looking to book a holiday to the Maldives at the end of Feb and wanted to know your recommendations of where is good? Ideally looking for a water villa on a smallish island where you hardly bump into another living soul. Maybe somewhere good for snorkeling etc Any referrals would be greatly received :)