Islamic Girls Schools in Dubai or Sharjah? | ExpatWoman.com

Islamic Girls Schools in Dubai or Sharjah?

Latest post on 02 December 2014 - 13:22

I need to start looking for a suitable school for my toddler girl as I hear places are taken very quickly. We have decided we want a girls only (non-mixed) school with emphasis on islamic education and the school's principle language being Arabic not English. I have googled and checked but can't find anything. Can anyone recommend a school along these lines ANYWHERE in Dubai or Sharjah? Thanks in advance

Latest post on 04 December 2017 - 09:48
Any update on "The Next Generation School"? It seems to have positive reviews overall, more so than American School of Creative Science in Barsha. I like the way Next Gen has structured their curriculum. Going for a tour on Wednesday but wanted some updates if anyones child attends.
Latest post on 16 December 2016 - 03:50
Just about a year and a half since I last posted, and we've been in 3 of the schools mentioned in this thread =D . Everything that was said here and "through the grapevine" about the School of Research Science (SRS in Warqaa, just below Mirdiff) has turned out to be incorrect, from our experience. It's a beautiful, fabulous school with highly trained British teachers for English subjects and a strong Arabic curriculum and Islamic culture. It's a strong education overall, and teachers are more-than-usually culturally sensitive. Dar al Marefa is not at all under the same management as SRS (I asked both schools!) - my son attended it last year and we found it weak in comparison with SRS, with teachers who were not very motivating or professional. The IB curriculum, as implemented there, was definitely not what we expected. The Schools of Creative Science chain (which started out in Sharjah with the UK curriculum International School of Creative Science, then added the US curriculum American School of Creative Science 3 years ago) opened 2 branches in Dubai this year - a British one in Nad Sheba and an American one in Barsha. I've heard good things about the ISCS in Nad Sheba, in terms of its curriculum, management, and overall atmosphere and quality of education education being significantly better than the Sharjah ISCS. I would not expect any American school in the Middle East to be very good unless it's run by actual Americans and part of a school network like GEMS/Taaleem/Esol Education that maintains high standards, because it's just too easy to abuse the flexibility of American curricular requirements to make a really disorganized school that doesn't accomplish much education at all. That is what we found at ASCS in Sharjah, before transferring to SRS. For Islamic nurseries, there is Ro'yati in Nad Hamar and Motor City. New ones this year in my area have been Creative Nest in Mizhar and Future International in Warqaa, both of which I've heard good things about. We have a son in Ro'yati and like it a lot.
Latest post on 01 November 2016 - 22:03
There is a new Islamic British Nursery in Sharjah do check that out and Al Ansaar International School in Sharjah http://www.alansarschool.net
Latest post on 31 October 2016 - 12:48
Can you pls mention the name of the school in mridif.
Latest post on 28 September 2016 - 01:16
The American School of Creative Science in Barsha looks interesting, is it open yet? Any experiences? [url=http://ascs.sch.ae/'>http://ascs.sch.ae/[/url'> I do get conflicted about sending my daughter to an Islamic school, because I want her to have a better understanding of Islam at a young age than I did, but at the same time I would want a high quality of education in other subjects too. Dear m also worried about my daughter m searching islamic school and nursery ? what about da al ameen school,, al nahda ? Can any 1 tell plzzzzzz
Latest post on 26 September 2016 - 19:39
Next Generation school in barsha opened this year looks promising as well. its quite popular among relatively Islamic minded people. I wanted my daughter 6 years old to get admission there in grade 1. but since we are still on visit visa and visa is under processing i was not able to get a place. They told me they are full. Hopefully if reviews are good i will try to get her in grade 2. right now i m looking for good school in bur dubai area since my job in at rolla street. someone know a good school there who will be accepting admissions at this point of time.
Latest post on 26 September 2016 - 16:40
The American School of Creative Science in Barsha looks interesting, is it open yet? Any experiences? [url=http://ascs.sch.ae/'>http://ascs.sch.ae/[/url'> I do get conflicted about sending my daughter to an Islamic school, because I want her to have a better understanding of Islam at a young age than I did, but at the same time I would want a high quality of education in other subjects too.
Latest post on 26 September 2016 - 01:46
I also want to knw about the nursery and school which is based on islamic values... for my 3yr old baby?
Latest post on 04 August 2015 - 17:40
Does anyone know the fees for British Islamic Nursery in Sharjah, and are its hours really 7:30-12:30 only (as listed on their website) -- I can't imagine that they don't have after care for parents who work?
Latest post on 25 July 2015 - 20:12
Al mawakeb is less conservative than al ittihad and dubai national , my DS is currently in al mawakeb and his class is mixed with arab Christians , he has non muslim male and female teachers. however his cuzns are in al Ittihad Jumirah and they do have western non muslim teacher , heard that the Mamzar branch is more conservative than the jumirah branch I wouldnt recommend school of research of science , never heard a good thing about it and i never heard about dar al marefa school
Latest post on 25 July 2015 - 11:00
By the way, here's the link for Dar alMarefa: http://daralmarefa.ae/en I came across the "New Indian Model School" a few days ago that seems to be run by and serving Indian Muslims with a religious atmosphere, and it has a preschool Montessori program and is SO cheap. Why is that?
Latest post on 25 July 2015 - 10:51
Blueunicorn, are the teachers at those schools mostly non-Muslim foreigners? I heard recently that there is a lot of rudeness to and from teachers at the School of Research Science because they're all non-Muslim westerners teaching basically all Muslim Arabs (majority Emirati) -- like a culture clash. Has anyone else heard that? This article also mentioned a very clear split in the school population, as opposed to schools like SCS/Dar alMarefa/Mawakeb that have a lot of Arab teachers: http://whichschooladvisor.com/review_article/school-of-research-science/ "The school is very popular with local families, with over 6 out of 10 students studying at the school Emiratis. The remainder come largely from Arabic families. Located in Al Qusais there are currently 2,047 boys and girls aged from 3 to 18 (up 20% from the previous year, and over one-third in two years) studying at the school. In the message from the founder, an emphasis is placed on the fact that this is an Arabic/Islamic school – not so much in language or curriculum, but in the roots of those studying at the school. As a result, it “is concerned with preserving the heritage of our culture, its language, its literature, history and especially its Islamic tradition.” It aims to mould a “future Islamic generation who will be creative, independent thinkers, able to adapt their knowledge and skills to the changing needs of this technological age.” So while the core curriculum is quite traditionally Western, based on the National Curriculum for England and Wales, it sits alongside an “Islamic ethos, designed to “develop our students into young men and women, proud and understanding of their own culture but conversant and sympathetic to that which is best in Western ideas and culture.” .. There are currently 167 teachers (up 30 over the last year), “all appropriately qualified” according to the KHDA, at the school. The majority of teachers are from the UK or Ireland. Interestingly, a look at the senior leadership team and board of governers really shows evidence of that split between a Western focused curricula, within an Arab and Islamic context. Functional curriculum experts are clearly drawn from the United Kingdom, while the board of governors, which will provide the school’s direction and context, largely Arab and UAE based."
Latest post on 24 July 2015 - 17:05
i wish i have seen this thread earlier to help you out. Ittihad private school is US curricula school however they do teach strong Islamic and arabic education , same as dubai national school. Al Ittihad has a branch in al Mamzar and Jumirah , while dubai national school has one in al towar and other in al barsha. girls are separated from boys in gr 5 or 4 a girls only school is the American academy in mirdif , they are also strong in islamic education and arabic
Latest post on 24 July 2015 - 03:18
Out of curiosity, what did you end up choosing? :) LuLee, the new Dubai branch of SCS seems to be opening in Fall 2016 in Nad al Sheba (neighboring International City)
Latest post on 09 December 2014 - 13:07
Thanks so much Apricot any idea where i can get info on Dar Al Ma'arefa? I googled it but their website seems to be in arabic only :( which i guess is understandable considering it's an arabic language school :D Hi Mrs Abdalla, my friend who sends her son there gave me this phone number for School of Research Science, which should hopefully lead you to Dar Al Ma'arefa ;) : 04 601 1011
Latest post on 07 December 2014 - 20:53
Their website is in English. None of the schools that Apricot mentioned are Arabic medium, including Dar al Marefa.True, they are not listed as Arabic medium. However, with an overwhelmingly Arabic student and teacher population, and the fact that the Western curriculum offered is delivered by mostly Arabic staff, and the school administration (and board of directors) is mostly Arabic, they can be called "Arabic schools". My friends who have chosen these schools for their kids have done so with the intent of improving their kids' Arabic language skills. <em>edited by Apricot on 07/12/2014</em>
Latest post on 07 December 2014 - 20:41
But I took them out because of my elder daughter being bullied. I am not a hijabi, we dont speak arabic and are from a European background. The children and the teachers gave her hard time because of this and me. I was always very uncomfortable going to school as I would get dirty looks. I really really wanted my daughter to be taught about her religion so she may grow to love it. I never had the opportunity and so wanted to give this to her. But sadly, the girls would not talk to her or play with her because of me....so it all depends. Hi Janat, I'm really disappointed to hear of your experience, which is what I mean when I say "outwardly religious". Sadly too much emphasis is placed on outward conformity, and if a person doesn't fit the "mold" then they are publicly punished, which is the opposite of the good manners, or [b'>adab[/b'>, that Prophet Muhammad (SAWS) taught Muslims. I hope your daughters are happier in their new school. A dear friend of mine sends her children to Australian Int'l School and is quite happy.
Latest post on 07 December 2014 - 17:40
I have got four kids at Creative Sciences in Sharjah; it is British system but since there is great emphasis on deen and Arabic there is an Arab feel to the place. I have always been happy with the adminisitration; after five years they are like family. We have always felt very at home there and I feel my kids are safe. In five years I have never heard of even one instance of bullying from any of my four kids and they stretch right across the grades. Any more direct questions you need just ask.
Latest post on 07 December 2014 - 13:19
My daughters went to School of Creative Science. It actually is not bad. The academics is ok, though it could be better. Emphasis is more on the Quran and islamic studies. Girls and boys are separated from grade 4. Extra curricular activities are more geared towards them learning life sciences like sewing, cooking etc. Sports is not a priority though they do have swimming classes from grade 5. But I took them out because of my elder daughter being bullied. I am not a hijabi, we dont speak arabic and are from a European background. The children and the teachers gave her hard time because of this and me. I was always very uncomfortable going to school as I would get dirty looks. I really really wanted my daughter to be taught about her religion so she may grow to love it. I never had the opportunity and so wanted to give this to her. But sadly, the girls would not talk to her or play with her because of me....so it all depends.
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 07 December 2014 - 11:10
I wonder why every single post got several thumbs down? LOL. Some people are really so pathetic, I imagine them at home scrolling through every single thread on EW and giving thumbs down. Thank God I have a life! They should try getting one too :) We are getting thumbed down because we are talking about Islamic schools. Many people reading do not like the idea. Yes i think you are correct Anon, for many it is alien to want an islamic school, most focus on academics and pastoral. I have many friends who are muslim and send their children to Uk curriculum schools here, some are very devout but still feel a balance can be found between their religion, beliefs and education. So yes for many they question and thumbs down. Islamic schools focus on academics just as other schools do. It only depends on how much you want your kids to learn about their religion, and how much you are willing to teach your kids. A lot of Muslim kids in international schools spend a lot of time in Islamic centers learning. I have friends with kids in international schools, and spend quite some time in the weekends or after school studying Islam, whether it's with a teacher or with their parents.
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 07 December 2014 - 11:04
There is AAG which is an all girls school but I am not sure how much emphasis they place on Islam.AAG has a student population that is 95% Muslim. Male students are only allowed up to KG2, 5 yrs old :) The parents demand a lot of afterschool, and other supplementary, Islamic activities and clubs, and the admin has a history of fulfilling those demands. A friend runs Waves swimming academy on the AAG campus, and does offer some girls-only group lessons upon parent demand. Sounds like a school I'd send my kids to (If I had any)
Latest post on 07 December 2014 - 08:40
I wonder why every single post got several thumbs down? LOL. Some people are really so pathetic, I imagine them at home scrolling through every single thread on EW and giving thumbs down. Thank God I have a life! They should try getting one too :) We are getting thumbed down because we are talking about Islamic schools. Many people reading do not like the idea. Yes i think you are correct Anon, for many it is alien to want an islamic school, most focus on academics and pastoral. I have many friends who are muslim and send their children to Uk curriculum schools here, some are very devout but still feel a balance can be found between their religion, beliefs and education. So yes for many they question and thumbs down.
Latest post on 07 December 2014 - 05:59
I wonder why every single post got several thumbs down? LOL. Some people are really so pathetic, I imagine them at home scrolling through every single thread on EW and giving thumbs down. Thank God I have a life! They should try getting one too :) We are getting thumbed down because we are talking about Islamic schools. Many people reading do not like the idea.
Latest post on 07 December 2014 - 05:57
Their website is in English. None of the schools that Apricot mentioned are Arabic medium, including Dar al Marefa.
Latest post on 06 December 2014 - 21:57
[u'>[b'>Dar al Ma'arefa and School of Research Science [/b'>[/u'>are run by the same management. They have a very good reputation for instilling a strong Arabic/ Islamic identity. A lot of parents tend to be outwardly religious (eg mums are hijabi at minimum). When English is taught, it is taught mainly by non-native English speakers, and in the high school, the English teachers are male native English speakers. However, there are severe discipline issues, particularly in the boys' section. Thanks so much Apricot any idea where i can get info on Dar Al Ma'arefa? I googled it but their website seems to be in arabic only :( which i guess is understandable considering it's an arabic language school :D
Latest post on 06 December 2014 - 21:55
I wonder why every single post got several thumbs down? LOL. Some people are really so pathetic, I imagine them at home scrolling through every single thread on EW and giving thumbs down. Thank God I have a life! They should try getting one too :)
Latest post on 06 December 2014 - 21:05
There is AAG which is an all girls school but I am not sure how much emphasis they place on Islam.AAG has a student population that is 95% Muslim. Male students are only allowed up to KG2, 5 yrs old :) The parents demand a lot of afterschool, and other supplementary, Islamic activities and clubs, and the admin has a history of fulfilling those demands. A friend runs Waves swimming academy on the AAG campus, and does offer some girls-only group lessons upon parent demand.
Latest post on 06 December 2014 - 21:00
There are Arabic language private schools with a strong Arabic and Islamic curriculum. You wont find "Islamic" schools as you may find in America/ UK. Such schools tend to segregate their students at Grade 5, but the girls may be taught by male teachers for subjects like English Literature or Science. Dar al Ma'arefa and School of Research Science are run by the same management. They have a very good reputation for instilling a strong Arabic/ Islamic identity. A lot of parents tend to be outwardly religious (eg mums are hijabi at minimum). When English is taught, it is taught mainly by non-native English speakers, and in the high school, the English teachers are male native English speakers. However, there are severe discipline issues, particularly in the boys' section. Another well known school in Dubai is the Lootah Charity School. It is managed by the Lootah family, who are very conservative (no birthdays, the school nurse wears a white niqab in front of the kids, etc). Academics are known to drop in quality past Grade 3. School of Creative Science is okay. It excels in Arabic and Islamic instruction, but academics require a huge external effort by parents. It lacks the strong management of School of Research Science, which causes constant upheaval for everyone involved at the school. There have been past issues in poor communication btwn parents and admin, particularly if the parents are "brown skinned" (Malaysian, Pakistani-Indian, etc) and don't speak Arabic, but some of my friends have persisted regardless. Al Ansar International School in Sharjah is a poor cousin of School of Creative Science. It also has a lot of outwardly "Islamic" features like the prevalence of niqab among female staff (and parents!) but essentially a school with poor academic standards. <em>edited by Apricot on 07/12/2014</em>
Latest post on 02 December 2014 - 14:44
School of Creative Science - They are opening a branch in Dubai. Do you know when they'll open? Location?
Latest post on 02 December 2014 - 14:43
Sorry. I just realized that you are looking for a school where Arabic is the language of instruction. This therefore invalidates my response above.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY