relocating to Doha - excess baggage or freight container? | ExpatWoman.com

relocating to Doha - excess baggage or freight container?

Latest post on 04 December 2014 - 09:49

I will be relocating by myself from the United States to Qatar in March 2015. I'm a bit lost on deciding how to transport my belongings. My employer will be providing furnished housing as part of my contract, so really all I need to take are my books (which are a lot), clothes (which are also probably quite a lot), and my compact food processor and mixer unit which I can't bear to part with (I will also be bringing a transformer so I can use it in Qatar). My employer provided relocation handbook recommends considering the excess baggage route if possible as it might be cheaper than using a moving company.

I haven't actually taken proper stock of my current belongings yet so this is just an estimate - but I think I will probably need at least 6 full sized suitcases to transport everything I want to take with me. Every one of my bags will most likely be packed to the overweight limit of 32 kg/70 lb. Assuming my employer will fly me to Doha on Qatar Airways, QA charges $200 for each piece of excess baggage + $50 for overweight bags (if allowances are purchased online). So if I fly with 6 overweight bags, I will be paying $1100 (2 x $50 for the overweight 2 included bags + 4 x $250 for the excess overweight bags). However - this isn't factoring in the expense of buying new luggage! I'll need at least 5 new suitcases and can expect to spend a minimum of $500 buying them. So now we're looking at $1600 to move my belongings. My employer provides $2330 in relocation allowance, so provided that I can limit myself to 6 overweight suitcases, I would still have about a third of my allowance left over to go towards that first Ikea trip in Doha :biggrin:

But I'm wondering how much more expensive using a portion of a container would be. If it's likely to be around $2000, I would consider that worth the extra cost as it would save me the hassle of dealing with several monstrous suitcases at the airport, waiting in the excess baggage line, and taking the bags through customs in Qatar, plus I might be able to move some more things with me to make the most of the paid for space in the container. I've contacted a few relocating agencies for quotes, but one of them required an in home visit, which I'm not ready for yet, and I'm still waiting to hear back from the other agency.

So I guess my question is - is it realistic to expect to be able to move a 1 bedroom's worth of belongings (minus furniture) within a $2000 budget via air or surface freight? Or am I probably better off going the excess baggage route? Any advice and suggestions would be much appreciated! Thank you in advance :)

Latest post on 12 January 2015 - 02:21
Thank you so much for everyone's helpful replies and advice! Sorry I didn't mean to post and disappear, but things got crazy busy and I was preparing to go on vacation out of the country as well. One thing I didn't mention was that I will actually be leaving the US permanently (barring unforeseen circumstances), so I really do need to take a lot of stuff with me. I also must try to dispose of as much as I can before leaving. Still undecided as to whether excess baggage or freight shipment is the way to go for me, but I got some helpful information from here and have made some contacts. One of the shipment companies requested an in home visit to provide an accurate quote - so I will look into that once I'm back in the US. marycatherine - air cargo is a good suggestion and I will explore that option as well. My employer has now booked my one way ticket to Qatar, and the flight leaves at 7 am, which means I should be at the airport by 4 am if I'm traveling with excess baggage. that's a bit of a potential nightmare situation, but we'll see. pwb78 - your recommendation for the Samsonite duffle bags was really appreciated! That's a great idea and I know I will be investing in a set of those bags if I fly with excess baggage. thank you again to all of you for your advice. edited by fakhan on 23/12/2014 edited by fakhan on 23/12/2014 Hey Fakhan, What did you decide on in the end? How much of a hassle was excess baggage? Thanks
Latest post on 23 December 2014 - 20:20
Thank you so much for everyone's helpful replies and advice! Sorry I didn't mean to post and disappear, but things got crazy busy and I was preparing to go on vacation out of the country as well. One thing I didn't mention was that I will actually be leaving the US permanently (barring unforeseen circumstances), so I really do need to take a lot of stuff with me. I also must try to dispose of as much as I can before leaving. Still undecided as to whether excess baggage or freight shipment is the way to go for me, but I got some helpful information from here and have made some contacts. One of the shipment companies requested an in home visit to provide an accurate quote - so I will look into that once I'm back in the US. marycatherine - air cargo is a good suggestion and I will explore that option as well. My employer has now booked my one way ticket to Qatar, and the flight leaves at 7 am, which means I should be at the airport by 4 am if I'm traveling with excess baggage. that's a bit of a potential nightmare situation, but we'll see. pwb78 - your recommendation for the Samsonite duffle bags was really appreciated! That's a great idea and I know I will be investing in a set of those bags if I fly with excess baggage. thank you again to all of you for your advice. edited by fakhan on 23/12/2014 <em>edited by fakhan on 23/12/2014</em>
Latest post on 10 December 2014 - 12:04
Hello sparks33, I have replied to your original post about the cat. Katya :-) <em>edited by 2nd_opossum on 10/12/2014</em>
Latest post on 08 December 2014 - 11:03
Try contacting a local freight forwarding office about air cargo. Depending on the size of the shipment, it can be cost effective. There are also "luggage" forwarding services who provide similar services, they come to your home and pick up your stuff, weigh and measure it and then give you the final price. They will give you a quote if you can give them a good idea of the size/weight. I've shipped a bicycle and 2 other large boxes for less than $600 (that's a few years ago and weight wasn't a big issue, size of the bike box was). You will have to go to the cargo area to pick up your stuff and clear customs.
Latest post on 07 December 2014 - 23:07
Katya, I want to bring my cat with me to qatar also but friends tell me I am crazy to do this. He is an indoor cat and I would keep him indoors in qatar too. Can you offer me any advice on bringing a cat over and your opinion on it please. I would really appreciate it. My advice will be to call Qatar Airways to confirm their excess baggage policy for your particular type of flight before making the final decision. I arrived on QA only last week, and I found the guidance on their website confusing. I will not bore you with details, but I was transporting my cat in a box as excess luggage, and there were discrepancies between the website and what I was told on the phone by their customer service. Good luck! Katya edited by 2nd_opossum on 07/12/2014
Latest post on 07 December 2014 - 11:03
My advice will be to call Qatar Airways to confirm their excess baggage policy for your particular type of flight before making the final decision. I arrived on QA only last week, and I found the guidance on their website confusing. I will not bore you with details, but I was transporting my cat in a box as excess luggage, and there were discrepancies between the website and what I was told on the phone by their customer service. Good luck! Katya <em>edited by 2nd_opossum on 07/12/2014</em>
Latest post on 06 December 2014 - 10:57
Hi - If you do go the extra baggage route, the Samsonite Tote-A-Ton is very good and strong. We just moved back over here with 3 kids and "everything but the furniture" and I used 6 of these bags plus 2 hard suitcases for breakable items. I can store all six duffles in one hard case so that helps now that I'm here. I personally could not find any reasonably priced shipper that would ship half a container from the US to Qatar. Watch the price on Amazon. It may go down because I got mine for only $20 each. http://www.amazon.com/Samsonite-Tote-ton-Duffle-Luggage/dp/B004YZCZL4
Latest post on 05 December 2014 - 23:59
Something else to think about - where are you going to store the rest of your stuff? In hindsight, it would have been cheaper (and easier!) to ship all my belongings than to put them in storage for 3 years. Good luck with your move.
Latest post on 05 December 2014 - 22:56
if you go the excess baggage route -- the good thing is that in the Doha airport, there are free trolleys to help you push your stuff -- or you can get a porter service for 15- 25 riyals (I think) and they'll carry/ push all your stuff for you. Customs is not a big deal at all as long as you're not importing anything illegal. You really just walk right through. I do NOT think it's worth spending more to send your stuff separately. Containers take much longer to get here. This may be convenient if you don't really need the stuff in the container - but if you don't need it soon, why ship it? The only thing I think you need to worry about is transporting your stuff to the airport in the US and getting it to the check in line, then transporting your stuff to your new house - if you think your stuff plus you would take more than the taxi or the car of the person who will pick you up. Taxis aren't very expensive. You shouldn't pay more than $25 for an additional taxi to anywhere in Doha, I don't think. And if you buy lots of bags, I would recommend duffel bags -- only because they don't use much of your weight allowance, should be cheaper than a real suitcase, and they are then easier to store once you're here... many of the villas/ apts here don't have a lot of storage and people are always looking for places to store their suitcases. You really only need 6 bags at once when you're moving. Next question to consider - when do you need everything? If you need it the first day- take it on the plane. If you can go six weeks send it by sea. Since you don't have a lot of stuff- I would not just talk to shipping companies -- I'd also look at FedEd/ UPS / DHL for their sea or air freight options. Air Freight only takes a few days, but may be reasonably priced. One last question -- do you have points/miles on any other airlines that can be used toward the baggage allowance? Qatar aiways is part of oneworld and allows you to use points for excess baggage.
Latest post on 04 December 2014 - 11:59
dear Fakan, good luck for your move! I came from Italy and we decided to ship extra luggage, because it was more easy and also less expensive (from Italy, at least). We prepared 5 cardboard boxes, the shipping company went home to take them one week - some days prior our departure. When we arrived in Doha, our bags were at the airport and we hired a local company for custom clearance and bringing them home. I found it more easy than to handle lot of luggage at the airport, but we decided to do so as we are three, included a young kid, who could not help much and who had a lot of stuff (games, books, clothing..). Also, how much stuff you want to bring depends on if you leave a home where you want to come back or not. Here you can find all you need except your favourite books, I must say. Some people said that books are checked at arrival, we had normal books (novels, essays, school books, our professional stuff) but no one checked the content. It might happen anyway.
Latest post on 04 December 2014 - 11:14
May be you've got to weigh up if you've got the money to buy all new stuff. Otherwise and if you are only talking about a few boxes I have heard that Container-Shipping.com will ship these over for you at a reasonable cost. Here is their link (http://www.container-shipping.com/qatar/shipping-from-us-to-qatar.html?ref=111&gclid=Cj0KEQiAhvujBRDUpomG5cq_mI0BEiQA7TYq-h0HJY4k0prrmObSGJmbeoUp43zsrTRtZaFyZSUimCIaAv0N8P8HAQ)