At what age should you stop taking your sons into the restroom with you? | ExpatWoman.com

At what age should you stop taking your sons into the restroom with you?

Latest post on 08 December 2014 - 18:27
Feel for the ladies with boys.. the way things are now i would never have been comfortable sending my child to men's toilet... so happy to hear children will have separate toilets... but cant see it happening in all malls that soon... ! <em>edited by twirl1 on 08/12/2014</em>
Latest post on 08 December 2014 - 15:54
We were at Time square a few days ago when after lunch we went off to the bathroom as usual. I have two boys 6 & 8 yrs who always accompany me to the ladies toilets. I went to one cubicle while the boys want to another. I was so shocked when this lady( local) maybe in her late twenties/ thirties pulled me up for taking the boys into the ladies. She says to me " you cannot bring your boys in here" why ? I replied.... You just cannot she said back to me.... The cleaning ladies took her side of course. I let her know the boys were only 6 and 8. I was so annoyed and complained to the nice phillopeana ladies at customer service - who sympathised with me but basically said not to get into an argument with a local. I have heard of this happening before but didn't believe it... Anyone come across it ? I have been in dubai now for several years as it happens. Thats so wrong, I would not want my son going into a mens toilet on his own and he is 9. There are all sorts of weirdos here and perverts. Really, what exactly was she worried about them seeing, its not like the ladies use the toilets here with the doors wide open so they can catch an eyeful. good thing you complained...
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 07 December 2014 - 18:22
I took my DSs into the bathroom with me as long as I could get away with it. Too many terrible things happen in public bathrooms. Don't take any risks. I think 9-10 is reasonable, I think.
Latest post on 06 December 2014 - 22:38
I was in Riyadh last week and noticed that there was a sign on the wall leading toward the women's bathroom stating that boys above the age of 8 are not allowed in the women's bathroom. Don't think I'd ever seen it stated before.
Latest post on 06 December 2014 - 15:47
http://7daysindubai.com/relief-parents-uae-ministry-calls-kids-toilets-malls/ RELIEF FOR PARENTS AS UAE MINISTRY CALLS FOR KIDS TOILETS IN ALL MALLS edited by Alismum on 05/12/2014 That is excellent news.
Latest post on 06 December 2014 - 14:32
I will continue to take my son into the loos until he is around 9. No way will I let him go on his own into the male toilet and if someone mentions that to me then I will say as much. The welfare of my child is more important. So far I have never had anyone say anything, mind you my little boy is small, he could pass for a six year old. I always take him into the same toilet as me anyway. I took my eldest to the toilets until he was around 9 (here as well) and then he started to go to the male toilet after that with me standing outside. 6 and 8 is way too young to be going into the male toilet alone imo. I like the idea of the disabled toilet though Di and Busybee edited by Alismum on 05/12/2014 the problem is still when the disabled toilets are not outside and in the toilets themselves then you still have to take a boy into the girls toilets! but at least they are usually more near the door etc
Latest post on 05 December 2014 - 20:35
The welfare of my son far out ways the opinion of a stranger. If that unfortunately offends the occasion person I'll take the critism on the chin & apologize for any upset. However his well being is my priority regardless.
Latest post on 05 December 2014 - 18:46
Not meaning to criticise but honestly, if you have been in Dubai for several years and have heard of it happening before it should not have come as such a shock to you when a local lady asked you to remove an 8 year old from the ladies. Personallyif I have ever had a young boy of that age with me who needed the toilets in the mall I always let him use the disabled separate toilet as busybee2 suggests, so I can stand at the door and make sure he is safe too.
Latest post on 05 December 2014 - 18:41
Admin, in lieu of the situation this week in Abu Dhabi, can yo please change the title? It is still a sensitive situation and this title is too close to that sensitivity. Done. EW Admin
Latest post on 05 December 2014 - 18:13
its the 8 year old thats the issue.... i have always had this problem when my oldest was younger.... considering he had medical issues which meant that he had to come with me to the toilet i still would get pulled up on one occasion in a private golf club by a western...!!!! the thing to do is go into the disabled toilets instead.
Latest post on 05 December 2014 - 17:52
Admin, in lieu of the situation this week in Abu Dhabi, can yo please change the title? It is still a sensitive situation and this title is too close to that sensitivity. Or - tell it like it is.
Latest post on 05 December 2014 - 17:43
Admin, in lieu of the situation this week in Abu Dhabi, can yo please change the title? It is still a sensitive situation and this title is too close to that sensitivity.
Latest post on 05 December 2014 - 17:41
The 8 year old makes it a problem. 8 year old boys fast. Therefore they are considered old enough to be more responsible for themselves. While it would not bother me, it obviously is at the age where there are two sides to the argument, and hers is no less valid than yours. 8 year old boys can be little pervs at times, not because they know what they are perving on, but they are starting to know. If you want to take yor son with you, I understand as I would not let a boy of that age go alone into a mens room, then you will have to accept that it does make some women uncomfortable.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY