Kiwi Family SIDRA | ExpatWoman.com

Kiwi Family SIDRA

Latest post on 06 December 2014 - 05:33

Hey,
I am a Kiwi in the final stage of a job at Sidra Medical.
I will be moving with my husband and two kids ages 6 and 4.
My concerns are the following:

Schooling - Is it definite that they can't start school till September?

Housing - Is anyone living in the Sidra compound? It looks amazing, however I have a feeling it has no vacancies...

My husband - He will be coming without a job (but a visa to work), and initially will be looking after the kids and helping them settle in. Is anyone else's spouse doing the same? And did they find work easily once there?

Looking for any advice - especially from families who are already there.

Latest post on 07 December 2014 - 07:45
Thanks for both of your responses. That does ease my anxiety a bit on the kids. As for my husband I just assumed that he would be able to work on the visa that they give him. I will double check with the recruiter again. Is anyone there living yet with a family?
Latest post on 06 December 2014 - 11:09
Hi bexmacp Regarding schooling, my daughter was able to start in April instead of September 2014. We were fortunate in getting an exemption from the Supreme Education Council at the time. My understanding is that it depends on individual circumstances, so there is an element of flexibility. However, there certainly is a risk should they refuse to grant an exemption. I had decided to return to the UK with the children had things not worked out. All the best :)
Latest post on 06 December 2014 - 09:09
Your husband will probably enter on a family visa. He can't have a work visa until and unless he finds work which will provide sponsorship. Husbands cannot work legally while under a family visa (unlike wives). As for finding work, what does he do? The Supreme Education Council says that no child can enter school mid year though I understand that it might be a flexible ruling. I don't know anyone who has done so but I don't have many friends with children. Another rule is that children cannot attend school until they have their RP which at a minimum can take several weeks, if not longer. <em>edited by marycatherine on 06/12/2014</em>