Moving to Qatar in February. | ExpatWoman.com

Moving to Qatar in February.

Latest post on 11 December 2014 - 00:26

Hello ladies,

We're scheduled to move in mid February from Canada and now that the dates are getting finalized, I am starting to get a bit worried, hoping you all can help with some questions. For some additional detail, there are three of us, 2 adults and our 18 month old daughter.

1. We have been told we will be staying in a Guest house until the formalities are complete, which means the first 2-3 weeks will be fairly crazy. Would you recommened joining my husband 2-3 weeks after he gets there or should we go together? What has your experience been life, any recommendations? We do not have any family in Canada so need to assume zero help from anyone and our house to be rented so will need to figure out where to stay if I do join in later.

2. We are looking at this to be a long term move and be using a shipping container, leaving behind heavy furniture such as beds and sofas. Any recommendations, words of wisdom or experiences? a company anyone has used before?

Any general words of wisdom when we finally do get there? I had a lot of question when I started writing this but not much coming to mind now....

Latest post on 16 December 2014 - 04:37
Hello Ladies, Apologies for the late reply, got busy. We'r moving from Toronto, Canada early February. I just got off maternity leave so will be quitting my job to move. We are currently in the process of selling our furniture which is getting to be quite a lot of work. Since no one is from Toronto it would be great to meet up once we all land there. Stay in touch and look forward to meeting you all one day.
Latest post on 12 December 2014 - 04:24
Just wanted to say hi as we are also moving to Qatar in January, it's not our first time moving to the Middle East, but it is our first time moving from Canada, Vancouver. So I just wanted to offer any help. We also don't have anyone in Canada to help us, so if you happen to be in our area, maybe we could help each other. We are from the UK. A family of four, myself, husband and two daughters 19 and 16.
Latest post on 11 December 2014 - 18:54
Hi, I am moving from Canada as well but in September 2015. With regard to shipping a container, I made a heavy search and found this one from Toronto the cheapest in the market: Technology Exporter Ltd 3620-B Laird, Toronto, ON L5L 6A8 Tel. 416-399-5522 I am going to accompany my husband from day 1, and as Myriam said, since I don't work, I will take care of the kids and make sure that the whole family is well-settled from day one. All the best with your move and hope we can catch up in Doha next year :)
Latest post on 11 December 2014 - 18:32
hi! my name is Myriam, I come from France, I saw that you don't have any reply, and I can't help you very much but I move to doha in january and I just can say you what are my relocation choices. first I decided to not take a relocation company, because it's a lot of work and almost every appartment are furnished. I sold all my furnitures... but if you want to take some things with you I recommend you inter-leads.com 2- I decided to come with my husband and our 2children (5 and 2 years old) because my husband will start working immediately and will not have time for looking for a rent, and because I don't work I have to look by myself where to live and spend all days with my children... sorry my english is not perfect. if you hav any questions don't hesitate ;) good luck