new in Doha | ExpatWoman.com

new in Doha

Latest post on 11 December 2014 - 10:10

Hi everyone!
My name is Myriam I'm 28, I'm married and have two children (5 and 2), I will be in doha the 5th january, I don't work and I don't know yet where I will live. I'm really worried about my future life in doha because of my situation (no work, no drive licence and two children...) here in france there is metro and you can do all you want by walk... hope meeting other mum to go out lunch or take kids to play area or park. don't hesitate to contact me! xo ;)

Latest post on 13 December 2014 - 22:16
Most places do accept debit / credit cards, but it doesn't hurt to carry some, but as Jill mentioned not lots of it. Mimi I live in Alrayyan, and I do have children, 2 girls and a boy. :) <em>edited by khokha2 on 13/12/2014</em>
Latest post on 13 December 2014 - 21:23
@seahorse77 - most places these days accept credit/ debit. But many taxis do not. I think gas is cash only -- although it may be possible that you can pay with a card. I never have. There are some small restaurants and take away places that don't take cards - including large international fast food chains. One thing you will find is that some cashiers get very surprised by a US swipe - type credit card and once or twice I've been told I can't use it. The cards here have a chip that's supposed to make them more secure. I wouldn't see a need to bring lots of $US cash because you would have to go to the bank to exchange it anyway...
Latest post on 13 December 2014 - 03:30
Seahorse, if you are moving from the US, do not bring with you any 100 dollar bills printed before the year 2000, you will NOT be able to exchange them! Mimi, welcome in advance, life is a bit challenging here but once you adapt to it, it is actually nice. Best of luck! Thanks for that. I will probably not have any $100's. I was planning to use mostly credit and debit cards. I'm assuming that credit/debit cards are widely accepted. Please let me know this, because if not, I will need to be sure to bring plenty of cash (not pre 2000 bills). Thanks for the heads up.
Latest post on 12 December 2014 - 23:19
Thank you khoka! ;) where do you live in doha? Do you have children?
Latest post on 12 December 2014 - 22:17
Seahorse, if you are moving from the US, do not bring with you any 100 dollar bills printed before the year 2000, you will NOT be able to exchange them! Mimi, welcome in advance, life is a bit challenging here but once you adapt to it, it is actually nice. Best of luck!
Latest post on 12 December 2014 - 12:27
HI "seahorse" it would be a pleasure to meet you and your daughter I let you my mail it will be easier dahmanimyriam at outlook . fr
Latest post on 12 December 2014 - 06:04
Hi everyone! My name is Myriam I'm 28, I'm married and have two children (5 and 2), I will be in doha the 5th january, I don't work and I don't know yet where I will live. I'm really worried about my future life in doha because of my situation (no work, no drive licence and two children...) here in france there is metro and you can do all you want by walk... hope meeting other mum to go out lunch or take kids to play area or park. don't hesitate to contact me! xo ;) Hi! I will be moving to Doha from the US. We do not have a date yet, but I suspect it will be in January or February. I am looking to build relationships with English/French families because my 7-year-old daughter speaks French. I'm new to the forum and unfamiliar with how to connect as I read in the rules section that we are not allowed to exchange personal info.
Latest post on 11 December 2014 - 18:23
thank you very much for your quick reply ladies!! Atka I just sent you an email ;)
Latest post on 11 December 2014 - 17:26
Hi Myriam My name is Atkah and I have 2 kids (4 and 8). I have been in Doha for just under a year. I don't work either but I do drive. My email is Feel free to get in touch about anything. All the best with your move :) <em>edited by AJA on 11/12/2014</em>
Latest post on 11 December 2014 - 10:33
When you land in Doha , check out Doha Mums www.dohamums.com . Plenty of women inthe same situation you are in :)