Rent deposit - apartment repainting | ExpatWoman.com

Rent deposit - apartment repainting

Latest post on 12 December 2014 - 10:39

Hi All,

So after 4 years we've had to move out and are awaiting our deposit return. However, the landlord is saying he's taking 2,200 dhs for re-painting. Rather miffed at this given that we've left the place in a better condition than we took it it in, it hadn't even been cleaned when we moved in and there's been a terrible mould problem for the last couple of years.

Apart from the odd scuff on the walls, the place is immaculate. Question is, after 4 years would you have repainted somewhere? Do we just have to suck this up? Thoughts please?

Thanks in advance.

Latest post on 15 December 2014 - 13:51
I was a little reluctant to answer as well but, prior to buying our villa, we moved at least 4 times over a 11 year period. I have never had to repaint my apartment, and I have always gotten my deposit back in full. I remember one company tried to find a way to keep the deposit but, in the end, I received it back in full. I do also recall at least one of our leases saying we had to repaint as part of the standard language. OP, I am glad it worked out for you.
Latest post on 15 December 2014 - 13:51
I was a little reluctant to answer as well but, prior to buying our villa, we moved at least 4 times over a 11 year period. I have never had to repaint my apartment, and I have always gotten my deposit back in full. I remember one company tried to find a way to keep the deposit but, in the end, I received it back in full. I do also recall at least one of our leases saying we had to repaint as part of the standard language. OP, I am glad it worked out for you.
Latest post on 15 December 2014 - 13:35
Thanks for all your responses ladies. We sent a list of points in our defence to the Landlords reps and whilst they argued against these, they have said however, "as a gesture of goodwill", they will return our full deposit! Wowee, wonders will never cease. FYI, it was 8,500 dhs. Merry Christmas to all you :cool:
Latest post on 15 December 2014 - 12:35
i'm going to contradict people here - 7 years in dubai, 3 moves, i've NEVER been asked to re-paint anywhere and i've always got my deposit back.
Latest post on 14 December 2014 - 19:54
We just moved out from an apartment and agreed to compensate half of the painting amount because the apartment was not freshly painted when we moved in, but obviously it got worse after 3 years there with a little kid. So you can at least try to get a compromise of this sort.
Latest post on 14 December 2014 - 18:35
Just have a read of your TC. In most it will say something along the lines of that the tenant is responsible for returning the property in the condition it was handed over in. This includes filling in holes from pictures, repainting, repairing damaged plug sockets etc. during an inspection a LL will deduct an amount for each item unless you pay for it yourself and it is in perfect condition at handover, in which case you can claim your deposit back.
Latest post on 14 December 2014 - 18:29
I'm curious if this is standard in Dubai as well? I've mentioned many times the place needs repainting desperately but didn't realise its my responsibility then? If so what do I do, diy or hire? Walls full of scuff marks and other stuff from kids but only in the front rooms.
Latest post on 14 December 2014 - 16:55
In most TCs there is a clause regarding repainting or this is taken from the deposit. Is that an Abu Dhabi thing? as mine only says if I have wrecked the apartment or not paid DU/DEWA then the deposit will be offset against this
Latest post on 14 December 2014 - 16:25
In most TCs there is a clause regarding repainting or this is taken from the deposit.
Latest post on 14 December 2014 - 16:22
You are only responsible for changing the colour back to what it was if you've changed it since moving in. For normal wear and tear the LL is responsible.
Latest post on 14 December 2014 - 16:18
I would also tell the LL you will reprint it for him as you will be able to do it much cheaper than that. However make sure to liaise with him re colour, type of paint etc.
Latest post on 14 December 2014 - 14:59
I don't see why, as landlord asked you to leave, you should not receive full refund of deposit. I have argued this case successfully several times when dealing with landlords. I have never been charged either but have repainted it back to the standard it was handed over.
Latest post on 14 December 2014 - 14:32
I don't see why, as landlord asked you to leave, you should not receive full refund of deposit. I have argued this case successfully several times when dealing with landlords.
Latest post on 13 December 2014 - 21:55
Why don't you tell your landlord you will arrange for the re-paint... Shop around and get it done cheaper?!
Latest post on 12 December 2014 - 15:28
Thanks for the thoughts ladies, looks like we'll have to suck it up then. Another victim of greedy landlord syndrome :(
Latest post on 12 December 2014 - 15:01
Check out your contract, after 4 years I don't think you are responsible for repainting the apartment. Maybe RERA the rent committee can help you. Take plenty of photo's. its the rules i know in auh that fair wear and tear and repainting should not be deducted but its the norm for it to be deducted anyways.. we have never got any deposit back... so just accept that money is gone and let them pay for anything out of it when you leave!
Latest post on 12 December 2014 - 14:50
Hate to tell you this but it's the norm out here for the tenant to repaint the villa/apartment at the end of the tenancy. We found this out when we moved out of our villa and the Landlord deducted AED 4,000 from our deposit to repaint it. Personally, I think it is a very unfair thing to do. Unfortunately, however, it is standard practice regardless if you have had maintenance/mould issues during the tenancy or if you have looked after the property well. 'Fair wear and tear' is not taken into consideration and the majority of LL's just want the property back to how it looked, ready for the next tenant, without having to spend any money in doing so. Before I signed the new tenancy agreement to the villa I currently live in, both my husband and I made sure we erased that clause in the contract. If I am going to look after someone's property, pay a huge sum in rent and live there for a while, NO WAY, am I going to incur the cost of re-painting it again. I wouldn't expect my tenant back in the UK to do that. I would check your tenancy agreement and see where you stand. Contacting Rera is another good option. Good luck x <em>edited by MollyMooMoo on 12/12/2014</em>
Latest post on 12 December 2014 - 13:18
Check out your contract, after 4 years I don't think you are responsible for repainting the apartment. Maybe RERA the rent committee can help you. Take plenty of photo's.
Latest post on 12 December 2014 - 11:47
this happens all the time, especially down in auh... how much was the deposit the usual 5k??? usually you are very very very lucky to get anything back, and in the end whats the point in actually looking after the place so dont.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY