The sacrifices of Expat Life ... | ExpatWoman.com

The sacrifices of Expat Life ...

Latest post on 14 December 2014 - 22:17

I just found out one of my best friends from school is on her death bed. 43 yrs - birthday today....

She was one of my 'besties' group from high school, and I see her whenever I return - along with the others. I haven't lived at home for over 20 years so this is a long time. I rarely see her or talk to her, just the usual FB communication which we both enjoy. But it doesn't mean that she doesn't mean a great deal to me - I love her very, very much, and I just can't stop crying. My school friends and I have a very special bond that time and distance doesn't effect.

I desperately want to go home to see her to say goodbye, but I have so many commitments at this time of the year, especially with my kids, and my husband is travelling and cannot help out, and not to mention that the prices are incredibly high to buy last minute tickets during the Christmas period.

One of my friends said you can't compare $ to memories, which really hurt me. At the same time I strongly agree, but with 11 days left to Christmas, I am struggling with how to manage all of this. I missed my father's funeral, my grandmother's funeral, another friend's funeral, and my husband missed his grandmother's and uncle's funeral - all because we live the Expat Life. I am not sure that my friends could afford to spend over 8500 dhs on a ticket to come and see me for a few days just before Christmas and leave all of their families behind. Had it been a few months ago or in a few months time it would have been so much easier - but this is just super bad timing... clearly not her fault :(

I created some video diaries, skype and have called her, but that's about all I can do.

If it were my immediate family that was in this situation I would go in a heart beat , regardless of the cost and situation at home - and indeed I did that with my father - but couldn't return for the funeral.

I have another good friend of mine here whose Aunt is more or less in the same situation as my friend. She too is struggling as to how she can get there.... her husband is very busy with work, and she has 3 young kids. Would cost an absolute fortune to take the kids with her...

Is this just the price we pay....???? If I had family around they could have helped out - but I don't.... the pain and guilt is killing me.... yes, we missed the funerals of our families, and this is 'just' an old friend', but she is still alive for the moment and I could at least still see her... am I being a terrible friend?

Feeling gutted....

Latest post on 15 December 2014 - 23:33
Suzy, if you wanted to just get a last minute flight and go quickly for a few days I'm sure a few EWers would help you out. I could potentially help with school runs for example for the rest of the week. If you listed what you needed help with we could pull a plan together and you'd also have Careem/maid agencies etc. I'm just saying if it's that that is holding you back then we could work something out. Otherwise, yes it's an unfortunate part of Expat living. Sometimes what our friends/family think is that we are all here living the high life and able to jet around all over the place at a moment's notice, when it is often just too difficult and expensive. Thinking of you. Count me in to help out, too, Suzy. Seriously. If you possibly can, go and give her a hug whilst she's alive. The funeral doesn't matter. If you can't manage it, through circumstances you describe, don't beat yourself up but just keep reaching out to her the ways you already are, to let her know you care. Hugs.
Latest post on 15 December 2014 - 17:48
feel so sad... i am always dreading this for myself, even though have not faced such a situation as yet... I think what you are doing for your friend is beautiful... I am sure a genuine friend can appreciate this even from a distance...! <em>edited by twirl1 on 15/12/2014</em>
Latest post on 15 December 2014 - 16:54
Suzy, if you wanted to just get a last minute flight and go quickly for a few days I'm sure a few EWers would help you out. I could potentially help with school runs for example for the rest of the week. If you listed what you needed help with we could pull a plan together and you'd also have Careem/maid agencies etc. I'm just saying if it's that that is holding you back then we could work something out. Otherwise, yes it's an unfortunate part of Expat living. Sometimes what our friends/family think is that we are all here living the high life and able to jet around all over the place at a moment's notice, when it is often just too difficult and expensive. Thinking of you. You know, when I wrote this post, I was very depressed and emotional, but I just needed to express myself a little with those who I thought might understand. However, I was very worried that I was going to get slaughtered and judged on this forum. But I am truly amazed and sooooo appreciative of all of the love and support from people who I don't know at all! Couch Potato you are some generous person to offer help to someone you don't even know. WOW! I am gobsmacked. What an amazing woman you are! Thank you so much for your offer but I truly do not wish to make my problem yours. The comments you ladies have made have really touched me and not to get too emotional again, but you have really touched my heart. I can't tell you how much it has helped me to know that you are not judging me, and whats more, even understanding me! So cyber hugs all around to you beautiful women who have been so supportive. xx
Latest post on 15 December 2014 - 15:46
Suzy, if you wanted to just get a last minute flight and go quickly for a few days I'm sure a few EWers would help you out. I could potentially help with school runs for example for the rest of the week. If you listed what you needed help with we could pull a plan together and you'd also have Careem/maid agencies etc. I'm just saying if it's that that is holding you back then we could work something out. Otherwise, yes it's an unfortunate part of Expat living. Sometimes what our friends/family think is that we are all here living the high life and able to jet around all over the place at a moment's notice, when it is often just too difficult and expensive. Thinking of you.
Latest post on 15 December 2014 - 11:05
Its horrible and I am sorry you are going to have to go through this... It is also something that those of us who live away from friends and family for any length of time will have to face at one time or another... (although it doesn't make it any easier.) I had three family members die in a matter of 10 weeks last year. At the time my mother said that I should "come back" for the funerals and when I tried to explain to her that I would have barely had time to get off the plane in my current country, and would pretty much have had to turn straight back around a get back on a plane for the next one.. (she seemed to think that there was nothing wrong with that). Once I had got over my shock/anger/resentment (*you choose to live away^) it really was an epiphany.. It helped me realise that no matter what we do as expats, those who stay behind for whatever reason will never truly grasp the tensions and complexities of the lives we lead... and really we don't have any right to expect them to...they see the world through their lens and we see it through ours.. Don't be too hard on yourself - if the situation was reversed and she was overseas living your life (with all the restrictions you have right now) and you were back home living hers - would you really expect her to return?... try and take some comfort in your answer.. xx
Latest post on 15 December 2014 - 09:38
from what you have written it seems that you have done your best to reach out to your friend and thats what counts... remembering your friends in prayer to me is the best thing of all, especially because we cant always be physically there for each and every loved one...
Latest post on 15 December 2014 - 09:24
I'm so sorry Suzy. Or course you aren't a terrible friend. Your friend understands why you can't be there and you [i'>know[/i'> she understands because if the situation was reversed you would understand too, without criticism or judgement. The friends that we grew up with, that helped to shape us through our formative years, we have a bond that distance and time can't erode. We are in each other hearts and nothing can change that. Your friend doesn't need to have you there to know that she is in your heart and you are in hers.
Latest post on 15 December 2014 - 09:20
Suzy, my hugs and prayers to you, it happened to me last week the same, I lost three people at ago, my two aunts whom I loved so much and my cousin, due to my work I could not make it for there burial. its really painful but always remember its a journey for all of us only that it happens in different timings.:cry:
Latest post on 15 December 2014 - 08:54
Sending you lots of hugs suzy xxx :(
Latest post on 15 December 2014 - 08:53
Sending you lots of hugs suzy xxx :(
Latest post on 15 December 2014 - 08:37
This is the hardest part of being away... what your friend said was thoughtless but I'm sure she meant that if you can afford it you might regret not going. From what you've said money isn't really the issue, you are doing the best you can in a hard situation. Your ill friend knows this, grief makes people say silly things and perhaps your other friend would like to have you there for support. Its terrible timing and she must know with kids you can't be away for Christmas. You know your own options I think you need to decide and make peace with your decision its hard enough to lose a friend without punishing yourself for things outside of your control. I know in my faith we have a months mind after a person passes, even if this isn't something you normally do, perhaps you could go home in a month spend time with your group of friends and say good-bye talk about old times and celebrate her life and your friendship? Sending love and prayers to you and your friend xx <em>edited by mannikat on 15/12/2014</em>
Latest post on 15 December 2014 - 06:43
Suzy - it really is one of the greatest challenges we face. No doubt about it. There will be sacrifices whatever you decide unfortunately. Does your friend have close family and friends around her to support her? Maybe you can take some peace from that?
Latest post on 14 December 2014 - 23:10
You can only try your best, and I am sure you friend knows that. In the mean while, stay in touch in any way that you can and tell her you love her. Whatever happens, I am 100% sure she will know you did your best. XXX Thank you. I appreciate it xx
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 14 December 2014 - 22:55
You can only try your best, and I am sure you friend knows that. In the mean while, stay in touch in any way that you can and tell her you love her. Whatever happens, I am 100% sure she will know you did your best. XXX
Latest post on 14 December 2014 - 22:53
Is there some way you can convince your husband to take some time off work to take care of your kids so you can go? My fear is that without saying good bye proper you will not have closure and this is something that will haunt you all your life. Perhaps he does not realise how important long time girlfriends are to us. We are like sisters and it don't matter if you don't see each other for 20 years, you still start up where you left back then. I hope I am making sense. English is not first language. Oh I wish, but he is travelling - he IS actually taking time off after this, but it would be too late as it would only leave me with a couple of days to get there and come back before Christmas. To be honest, I am not even sure if she will make it to Christmas either... that's her goal though... I believe he does understand - as he is a little upset too.... <em>edited by SuzyDuzy on 14/12/2014</em>
Latest post on 14 December 2014 - 22:45
Is there some way you can convince your husband to take some time off work to take care of your kids so you can go? My fear is that without saying good bye proper you will not have closure and this is something that will haunt you all your life. Perhaps he does not realise how important long time girlfriends are to us. We are like sisters and it don't matter if you don't see each other for 20 years, you still start up where you left back then. I hope I am making sense. English is not first language.
Latest post on 14 December 2014 - 22:38
If I could, I would choose to go to say goodbye rather than go to the funeral. The funeral is only for those left behind, not for your friend who is the one you love. But I understand with nobody to look after your children that is not possible. My heart aches for you. Thank you. Yes this is why it hurts so much - she is still alive - so I can still have the chance to say good bye... Thanks Nomad :) tissue.....
Latest post on 14 December 2014 - 22:35
If I could, I would choose to go to say goodbye rather than go to the funeral. The funeral is only for those left behind, not for your friend who is the one you love. But I understand with nobody to look after your children that is not possible. My heart aches for you.
Latest post on 14 December 2014 - 22:35
Oh Maroosh I still remember your kind words when my mom was so poorly and not much after your mom passed.
Latest post on 14 December 2014 - 22:32
Suzy I know exactly how you feel :( insert a big hug..... I had the same situation when my Mom was dying and unfortunately I did not make it back to say goodbye. Family said the most dreadful things to me not once considering how I felt and that I had to fly 1/2 way around the world leaving a husband who had just been diagnosed with a brain aneurism. Unless you have lived an expat life you cannot understand the challenges. Over the years I have lost so many friends back home as they had no clue of what a challenge it is to keep up a family and friends on both sides of the world happy. I think your ' friend ' who equated $ to memories is a thoughtless twit, unless she has walked in your shoes she has no right to put pressure on you. Would she be able to up and leave children and home, fly abroad at the drop of a hat. The fact that you have made a video and are in contact is wonderful and the best you can do at the moment. Possibly plan to get home to see her as soon as is reasonable for your personal circumstances. You know what you feel in your heart and no one has the right to judge you. Sending prayers and positive thoughts your way. edited by Nomad on 14/12/2014 edited by Nomad on 14/12/2014 <em>edited by Nomad on 14/12/2014</em>
Latest post on 14 December 2014 - 22:32
Marroosh - OK so you have just sent me into tears again.... Thank you so much for understanding... I guess we are a breed of our own. Thank you so much x
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 14 December 2014 - 22:25
So sorry you're feeling this way, and your friend's response isn't very helpful either. I guess people who live their entire lives in the same place can't really put themselves in our shoes, so I think they have no right to speak. You have a life and commitments as much as everyone else has, just in another part of the world. I think you have done amazingly with creating video diaries and skyping your friend. As much as we would love to be able to say goodbye to a loved one when they are still alive, and attend their funeral, it's not always possible. I have 2 grandmothers who are both not doing well, and I have discussed with my family what we will do if anything happens. I have already said, as harsh as it sounds, I can only fly over for a funeral, not to say goodbye. But I will drop everything to be there at the funeral. And it's hard but then someone close to you in distance can pass suddenly and you won't have the chance. Last year, my mother passed away suddenly and I was on a flight home the same night, as I had to bury her the next day. But then I am single and don't have the family commitment that you have, and your kids are a priority over anyone else. And I would expect your friends to respect and appreciate that. edited by Marroosh on 14/12/2014 Apologies but those emoticons just show up when typing "bye".Not really appropriate for the tone of this thread, but I can't undo it. <em>edited by Marroosh on 14/12/2014</em>

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY