Managing when nanny takes her annual month of leave | ExpatWoman.com

Managing when nanny takes her annual month of leave

Latest post on 14 December 2014 - 22:50

So my nanny is off to Nepal in January and since both my husband and I work we have my mom coming over for the month to take care of my 1 year old. The issue is that I'm not sure my mom can handle him alone the way he runs around.
Are there any full time nannies available for 1 month (stay out preferably)?
Any help you be appreciated.

Thanks
M

Latest post on 16 December 2014 - 10:46
Some people use the words nanny and cleaner/maid interchangeably. OP, if your nanny also cleans/tidies, hiring a maid service to come in 2-3 times a week would be a big help. I'd bet on the side of the other posters that your mother can handle the rest and will really enjoy spending a month with your child who will only be "1" once :) I understand though, if I were in your shoes and it were a first trip to Dubai for my mother, I would want her to have some free time to wander around, go to the spa, etc. But that doesn't mean that's what she would want :)
Latest post on 16 December 2014 - 09:56
well if your mom is coming over to take care of her grandchild and is not 90 years old, I would assume she is a healthy woman somewhere in her 50's? yup, i would certainly not hire a full time nanny, i would also assume if she agreed she knows what is at stake lol…she will be tired yes but will be fine I am sure. i would be insulted I think, so I would hold off. [b'>We old people have amazing stamina, often more than the youngsters[/b'> lol i think its more strategy than stamina... hehe... i have seen my mother in law handle her 2 grandchildren (her daughter's) for 15 days pretty well... both were under 2 then... but then my mother in law is a very wise and disciplined woman... :)
Latest post on 16 December 2014 - 08:29
well if your mom is coming over to take care of her grandchild and is not 90 years old, I would assume she is a healthy woman somewhere in her 50's? yup, i would certainly not hire a full time nanny, i would also assume if she agreed she knows what is at stake lol…she will be tired yes but will be fine I am sure. i would be insulted I think, so I would hold off. We old people have amazing stamina, often more than the youngsters lol
Latest post on 15 December 2014 - 22:27
Do you have a option to hire a part-time nanny a few times a week while you mother is here? She can get some rest and her burden will be reduced.
Latest post on 15 December 2014 - 17:13
Dont underestimate a mother. It will all come back to her. If after one week you see she is not coping then look for someone. She might feel insulted if you get someone to help her as she is probably a proud grandma. ;)
Latest post on 15 December 2014 - 12:31
for this reason we asked our nanny to take two breaks of two weeks. we both work full time and couldn't get cover for a month. costs us more in terms of flights but worth it. we each take a week off for childcare and tag-team. maybe worth thinking of in future?

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY