Issue with SriLankan Embassy | ExpatWoman.com

Issue with SriLankan Embassy

Latest post on 15 December 2014 - 10:05

Hi Ladies,
I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this, or a similar issue.
12 months ago we hired a new Maid from Sri Lanka. Just before she arrived in DXB the Sri Lankan embassy notified us that we would have to put a 3000aed deposit down with them in the event that any problems arise.... whatever. They said we needed to keep original receipt etc. All of which we did.
Fast forward 12 months and we decided not to renew her contract and she found another job with another family. She has been sponsored in DXB and I have a copy of her new visa.
I have approached the Sri Lankan Consulate and they have said that I can not get my money back until she exits!!!!! She doesn't plan to go home for 3 years!!!!
Is this normal? can they do it? If not, who would I go to in order to help me resolve it.
Thanks in advance,
TB

Latest post on 21 December 2014 - 07:23
as a last attempt to resolve it nicely I have emailed the new sponsor and kindly asked them to pay the deposit as she is now their Maid. will see...
Latest post on 19 December 2014 - 22:14
Completely unfair situation, rising from trusting the new sponsor with take over the responsibility. At the moment the only person missing out is you and you are owed 3000aed. The maid is not bothered nor her sponsor and the embassy doesn't have to bother because she is covered, the box is ticked so who cares. However I wouldn't let it lie, I'd get some advice from government service UAE, if you can or know someone with Arabic even better but not necessary. This is the UAE not Sri Lanka so the Sri Lankan embassy has to abide by the rules here. In effect this maid could do anything to lose you your 3000aed without you having any control over it at all, don't let it lie. I'd inform the embassy that you will take out a formal complaint against the whole three of them. Demand your deposit back! edited by belle979 on 18/12/2014 edited by belle979 on 18/12/2014 Thank you Belle for re-affirming how I feel. You have given me some drive to pursue it further...
Latest post on 18 December 2014 - 11:32
Completely unfair situation, rising from trusting the new sponsor with take over the responsibility. At the moment the only person missing out is you and you are owed 3000aed. The maid is not bothered nor her sponsor and the embassy doesn't have to bother because she is covered, the box is ticked so who cares. However I wouldn't let it lie, I'd get some advice from government service UAE, if you can or know someone with Arabic even better but not necessary. This is the UAE not Sri Lanka so the Sri Lankan embassy has to abide by the rules here. In effect this maid could do anything to lose you your 3000aed without you having any control over it at all, don't let it lie. I'd inform the embassy that you will take out a formal complaint against the whole three of them. Demand your deposit back! edited by belle979 on 18/12/2014 <em>edited by belle979 on 18/12/2014</em>
Latest post on 17 December 2014 - 15:41
But will the new family get the 3000 dirhams once the maid exits the country? No. They would have to go to the Sri Lankan Embassy and actually request it which I don't think they would do. Plus, they don't have the original receipt.
Latest post on 17 December 2014 - 13:57
But will the new family get the 3000 dirhams once the maid exits the country?
Latest post on 17 December 2014 - 13:04
Thanks for your reply Asti. I have spoken to the Head of the Labour section at the Sri Lankan Consulate in Dubai and she simply said that is the rule and they can not force the new family to pay the deposit.
Latest post on 17 December 2014 - 07:52
Here is what you should be paying according to the Sri Lankan consulate in Dubai. http://www.slcgdxb.com/index.php/Labour/labour-contracts.html Maybe call the consulate Sri Lankan Consulate Labour hotline. They deal with maid issues. Tel: 800 7253/ 800 SLBFE (DUBAI nrs.) Open from 8:30 to 3pm.
Latest post on 16 December 2014 - 22:52
I think the system at the srikankan embassy is crappy and so is back in their country. We are currently trying to sponsor a srikankan lady, she was here on visit visa. Hence once we decided to sponsor her we sent her back to get her medical done(mandatory for them to go back) ...this was a month ago and she still isn't back coz every office in srikankan wants bribe... She needs a certificate from the village officer saying that while she is gone her kids will have a proper setup to gro up in. The village officers office is only open Monday and Wednesday. Application submitted a week ago, she was told that they will visit one week. Fast forward to one week and no body came.mahe visited again and was told that they have a lot of other applications to finish before hers and cannot say when they will come....it's just horrible! On top of this we have had to pay $400 to srikankan embassy as security..I don't get security for what! She's not working for me.. Not even in the country..and I'm having to pay security money. Non refundable.
Latest post on 16 December 2014 - 17:15
I don't mean to sound rude but why didn't your husband ask the new sponsor for the 3000 as a condition of release? I think the Sri Lankan Embassy assumes that the old sponsor would get the money from the new sponsor... We sponsored her through Sharjah where my husband works. They simply cancelled her visa and that was that. There was no "transfer" that took place like when a maid transfers to a new employer within Dubai. The process was different and we never met them. I actually phoned the Sri Lankan embassy just before her contract finished and they would not be able to sponsor her unless they paid the deposit. This was not true, obviously. Thank you derien, I will do just that!
Latest post on 16 December 2014 - 12:07
I don't mean to sound rude but why didn't your husband ask the new sponsor for the 3000 as a condition of release? I think the Sri Lankan Embassy assumes that the old sponsor would get the money from the new sponsor...
Latest post on 16 December 2014 - 10:44
Have you kept a copy of the receipt the Embassy would have given you when your deposited the 3000 AED? Do you have copies of the cancellation/ transfer papers for the maid proving she is with a new sponsor? If so, then I would call the Embassy and tell them that they have no right to withhold your money and that it is borderline theft. Tell them they have 24 hours to return the 3000 AED or you will be contacting the police. It is now up to the embassy to reach out to the new sponsor for the 3000 AED deposit. They cannot withhold your funds. It is illegal. Even the UAE Government Services at immigration do not do this!
Latest post on 16 December 2014 - 09:14
Bump
Latest post on 15 December 2014 - 10:53
The current sponsor who has employed her should deposit the 3000dhs for you to get your refund back since she is not under your sponsorship anymore. I don't know if they will. They have no incentive to at all. Technically speaking they should, but what if they won't? I have previously asked them to call the Sri Lankan to enquire about it and they haven't (this was a month ago)
Latest post on 15 December 2014 - 10:35
The current sponsor who has employed her should deposit the 3000dhs for you to get your refund back since she is not under your sponsorship anymore.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY