Christmas bonuses for live-in helpers | ExpatWoman.com

Christmas bonuses for live-in helpers

Latest post on 15 December 2014 - 10:32

Hi Ladies, It is our first Christmas to have a live-in helper here in Dubai. Hubs and I were just chatting about what sort of Christmas bonus and or extra days off we would be giving this year. I wanted to check around to see what the norm is and make a decision based from there. I understand that our helper will probably have something in mind based on what she has heard from her friends and I want to make sure we are not going to disappoint her. We were thinking it may be nice to give her the 24th and 25th off and 26th is a Friday so she would automatically have that day off too. Three days in a row might be a nice break. Anybody care to share what they do for their helpers at Christmas?

Latest post on 15 December 2014 - 17:38
Ours has Christmas Day off and has one month's salary as Christmas bonus from us and a small gift from the children. When we came here 14 years ago the extra month's salary was pretty standard for most maids but then generally speaking the employer just provided the basic salary, accommodation and gas/water/electric, not extras such as toiletries and mobiles.
Latest post on 15 December 2014 - 12:29
ours gets the full weekend anyway, so with christmas day on a thursday she is getting three days. suits us as we want to lounge around the house for part of it! we also give a 500 bonus and small gift.
Latest post on 15 December 2014 - 12:24
I dont give Christmas eve off only christmas day and boxing day. I give £50 bonus. Dont be too nice as they start to take advantage later on.
Latest post on 15 December 2014 - 10:41
My maid used to get 3/4 days off. It depends if you need her or not. Christmas and Boxing day are usually the norm. Re, bonus - I gave my maid AED 300 for the first year and it went up every year after that. I also used to do a nice stocking which was jam packed with nice things. Also my kids would give her a little gift too. Hope this helps!

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY