Old Town - Old Town Island advice please | ExpatWoman.com

Old Town - Old Town Island advice please

Latest post on 17 December 2014 - 21:14
Actually I dont have a clue how much we are paying for DEWA but it can't be much otherwise my husband would complain ;-) Chiller Charges are paid by our landlord. I guess that's normal in Old Town. There are 3 bus lines from Palace Hotel bus station F13 = Metro station, 27/29 = one of them goes to Gold Souq other one to Lamcy Plaza.
Latest post on 17 December 2014 - 14:46
just some overall downtown comments: i lived there for 4 years and loved it! very calm, quiet, everything is walkable which is wonderful. i love the call to prayer so this didn't bother me at all. personally the fountains would bother me more on the OT island - they go every 20 minutes or so and the music is really loud! the only downside is that the traffic is very busy, weekends and public holidays are a nightmare as everyone in the world appears to be trying to get into dubai mall. and new year's eve the whole place is on lockdown from 4 pm and a bit of a nightmare.
Latest post on 17 December 2014 - 13:36
Thanks very much ladies. Gege I'd forgotten about the mosque calls, and they were VERY loud while we were walking round so although I like the sound I'll be steering clear of that end! I think the construction work near the Hotel is for the tram? The building looked like it was full height but still a lot to be done. Construction noise is a big no-no so again I'll avoid that area (which will please Mr GG as the Attareen apartment with terrace we liked was right next to it, and was 220k :\:) Good to hear about buses etc, I do want to use public transport and loved the Metro. Am sure they could justify another stop between Dubai Mall and the Dubai Mall Metro stop though as that was some walk - I wouldn't like to pay those chiller fees :biggrin: Maltese - I am one of those strange people who walks everywhere (weather permitting!) so good to hear you confirming what I thought - that was one of my main reasons for choosing the Downtown area in general. Gege can you help re running costs please? Thanks again.
Latest post on 16 December 2014 - 22:06
Old Town doesn't have a free gym. There is Fitness First, in den same building as Starbucks/Souk al Manzil. Some parts of the Qamardeen hear the call of the prayer. As well as there will be very soon a construction near to the DEWA Building/Mosque. The construction site between Palace Hotel and The Boulevard Building works almost 24/7 since months. As well as the on going contraction between Burj Al Nojoom/Burj Towers and Dubai Mall. Bus F13 goes every 15mins to the metro, but while the rush hours or weekends it takes ages to go with the bus to the Old Town Area. My personal record was 42 mins from Metro Station to Palace Hotel Bus station. There is another bus line in the backside of Old Town (Area of Burj Tower/South Ridge) from / to Business Bay Metro station which works for me better after 4-5pm weekdays. At the pools in Al Manzil aren't enough sun lounger, so its very hard to catch one. I enjoy to live here as its very green, quiet (as long as you dont live near to one of the above mentioned contruction sites) and a nice, well maintained community.
Latest post on 16 December 2014 - 21:00
Hi Gallygirl, I can only reply to your last question as I live in the area but not in Old Town. The place is very good, quiet during the week days, you can reach almost everything walking, Dubai mall, jogging areas, green area as Southridge, Burj Park, Al Manzil with shops and Spinneys, Soukh al Bahar. You can take the bus which goes to the metro in 3/4 minutes. As said, during the week it is a pleasant area to live in, nice, relaxing atmosphere. During weekends a little bit crowded, especially on Thursday and Friday evenings but still doable and nice. Amazing evening walks in the fountain areas, always a nice place to Be. Hope it helps.
Latest post on 16 December 2014 - 19:47
Just returned from an orientation visit to Dubai and we've settled on the Old Town area. Looking for a bit of advice/info please: - Chiller fees are included. Can someone give me an indication of DEWA costs per month (excluding municipality tax) for a 2 bed apartment please? And does anyone have costs for a garden apartment? - What internet options are available and is there a good speed? - Gyms. All areas say there is a gym. I assume for Al Manzil properties this is in the building that seemed to be a training facility of some kind? Is that right? And what are the other areas gyms like? - I liked the Old Town Island best but obviously it comes at a premium. Al Manzil was lovely as well, as was Qamardeen. However I was put off the latter by a bad review on flatreviews and would prefer a souk which was open! Am I being unfair to Qamardeen? - Any general advice on living there? It seems ideal - pretty and very quiet considering how central it is. I know some apartments can be dark and overlooked, and presumably noisy if on the edge but apart from that and the prices () it seems great. - As a woman in her 50's living on her own during the week as hubby would be travelling is it a good choice? So many things to juggle . Thanks.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY