Does it get better? | ExpatWoman.com

Does it get better?

Latest post on 17 December 2014 - 18:23

So I have been living in Dubai since August and have had a new job for just over a month and I know some of you may say it's not long but feeling really unhappy and wondering if I have made a mistake taking this job it's really not what I expected and they are dumping far to much work on me my head is spinning and doing things outside of work hours which is not what I want to be doing, I have a young family and feel like a I am neglecting my little boy as I am not around much it's not just that but I can barely keep my eyes open! I also feel that some people treat people terribly in the workplace including me is anyone in same boat or has been? Feel like I just want to sob my eyes out xx :(

Latest post on 22 December 2014 - 06:56
My niece just resigned. Same reasons as you. She arrived last year November and got a job in the Marketing department of a well known company and soon everyone and their friend were dumping their work loads on her and taking off early. Since she was on probation she tolerated it but it just kept getting worse and when she spoke to her employer she got another typical dubai response of 'take it or leave it'. She left it. Went back to Canada and found happiness again. Point being...Dubai is not for everyone and some companies just treat their employees bad regardless.
Latest post on 21 December 2014 - 20:25
Currently working in education (school) but background is working at Universities but also Administrative.
Latest post on 18 December 2014 - 19:23
Mel maybe if you post what sort of thing you are looking for, someone may know of something. Good luck!
Latest post on 18 December 2014 - 18:39
Thank you ladies so much for your opinion, Lafalot I feel like you ....i am definitely looking around and if something better comes up I will go to it as the job really isn't what I expected in the first place really ....life it to short and there is being exhausted and then completely wiped out every day am also forgetting the little things it's taking over my life a bit and getting calls on the weekend is just unacceptable really never had it in the UK and won't put up with it now. Thanks again :o)
Latest post on 18 December 2014 - 09:22
I can only agree with the other ladies...it is about time and adapting to the place. Also finding some friends! Coffee at the weekends and some downtime needs to be carved out....some you time. Then you will be all the better when it's time to spend happy hours with your little boy. I think it does get better yes.
Latest post on 18 December 2014 - 09:13
I had a similar experience when I first moved over and gave up after 10 months. 12-14 hour days with more work than anyone could cope with eventually took their toll. I was miserable, exhausted and my mum was ready to fly out and take me home! I'm now back in a familiar industry, working "normal" hours and enjoying life in Dubai. They ask a lot of you over here and certainly get their money's worth but if you can find a company that values your contribution it makes a big difference. If you're that unhappy and can't see it changing I would look for something else. Life is too short!
Latest post on 17 December 2014 - 18:57
It may not get better, but you will get better at dealing with it, that's my advice. You are getting UAE experience which will be vital when you get your next position, and you will know what to look for when you are searching and interviewing! Not trying to sound dismal, and you have a little one which I didn't, when I worked for one of those types of companies here. However, my gem of a boss told an insurance company to call me on the day of my wedding when I was on leave (he knew, they didn't) because he didn't feel like giving them his own credit card number to pay the bill! "Call my Manager...I am very busy" So I know how you feel regarding scope creep and asking just too much. It is hard and the only thing that works is having the mentality that you expect the rub, but you won't be surprised by it or let it get to you. You will catch on also, when the right time is to set your boundaries and how to word it. I might get thumbs down for this, but I found when working for egotistical men here, being my firm Western self wasn't received well. I would usually say "Oh I would love to go lock the office because you forgot and would rather me go drive back in traffic so you don't have to, but my husband is expecting his dinner." I know that sounds backward but it was received a lot better than "Your incompetence requires my inconvenience?" or something of the like. It will be okay :) Just set those boundaries diplomatically. Sounds like you're pretty indispensable, and they know it.
Latest post on 17 December 2014 - 18:43
Hi Mel, Sorry you're feeling this way. It's hard to give you any advice at this stage, but I can certainly empathise. Depending on what your professional life has been like so far, you may be in a position to know whether this is 'just not right' or whether you still need to settle in. I would suggest that you'll be settling in for some time to come yet. I remember my first month working here. It was TORTURE. Unlike you, I had NOTHING to do and as a result, struggled to make connections with other people in the company, in other departments, and felt like my brain cells were dying by the minute!! The good news: within around 3 to 4 months I was LOVING LIFE! People were gorgeous, so friendly, made some wonderful friends and was really upset to leave the place when it was time to go. Finding a job in this town can be tricky, so I wouldn't just leave as it might be hard to find something else. Depending on where you work, and your sponsorship situation, your current employer can also make it difficult for you to move on.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY