Are Christian Books Restricted | ExpatWoman.com

Are Christian Books Restricted

Latest post on 18 December 2014 - 05:46

Can someone please tell me, if someone sent me religious books will I get them in the mail, or will they be confiscated? I don't see them in bookstores so i always thought they were not allowed. Like a devotional, and psalms etc and if they do confiscate them will I get a note? Thanks

Latest post on 19 December 2014 - 06:48
I ordered a very antique and rare Bible to my Post box, (i collect these types of books for personal study) when it arrived it was held by customs, opened and I was asked by an officer, who was holding the open book in his hand, why I was trying to import it, this was about three years ago so not sure if things are the same, but I was told religious literature needs prior approval from the Ministry and anything that contradicts Islamic theology is banned. Other non evangigal literature is restricted. Fortunately I had an Arabic speaker with me and my purpose was explained. It could be ok if its just psalms and devotionals but worse case scenario they will just destroy if it they don't let you have it. ETA churches and selected books stores are permitted to import literature since they have ministry approval. edited by Di@DXB on 19/12/2014 Yes, this is exactly what the normal bookstore told me, I believe the policy is still in place.
Latest post on 19 December 2014 - 00:39
I ordered a very antique and rare Bible to my Post box, (i collect these types of books for personal study) when it arrived it was held by customs, opened and I was asked by an officer, who was holding the open book in his hand, why I was trying to import it, this was about three years ago so not sure if things are the same, but I was told religious literature needs prior approval from the Ministry and anything that contradicts Islamic theology is banned. Other non evangigal literature is restricted. Fortunately I had an Arabic speaker with me and my purpose was explained. It could be ok if its just psalms and devotionals but worse case scenario they will just destroy if it they don't let you have it. ETA churches and selected books stores are permitted to import literature since they have ministry approval. <em>edited by Di@DXB on 19/12/2014</em>
Latest post on 18 December 2014 - 10:26
Oh and thank you all for the decorations input, the angel decoration is very special to me and the nativity scene was a gift from my future Mother in Law - life wouldn't be worth living if that was confiscated!
Latest post on 18 December 2014 - 10:16
Sorry ( (I could fill up a page with a rant on how this guest list is ever increasing but anyway I digress!)). Please do. It's Thursday :evil: Oh dear it will be like opening Pandora's box! I have basically been guilted into inviting all my cousins by my dad (I have a lot of them!). This includes a cousin that got married in Jamaica a couple of years ago, had a reception back in the UK (I was living in the UK at the time) and never invited me. He has since had a baby and has the cheek to say to my Dad that he must bring his toddler along (bear in mind I haven't seen him in 10 years and have never met his wife, he must have a short memory!). Oh and I sent them a pressie when the baby was born and never got a thank you... My Dad basically asked me to invite all the cousins to keep the peace with his 5 sisters and that a lot of them wouldn't be able to come anyway. Now they all seem to be coming, including some from Vancouver who I have met once in my life and one who works in US and has a restricted travel visa - thought he was a dead cert not to make it - grrrrr. There are a lot of other developments that mean an increasing guest list but don't want to bore you with that. Its gotten to the stage where DH and I are desperately hoping friends we invite from Australia won't be able to make it but we actually want them there. Problem is the church is small and its doubtful they will all be able to squeeze in (my Dad's solution - young adults stand at the back!). Need to run through the guest list with DH again this weekend and see if we have to have the painful conversation with the vicar about changing to a bigger church if available. I wanted a small church on purpose and don't even like big parties, never mind when its my own wedding! Honeymoon is now looking like a distant dream which was what I was looking forward to most (aside from the teary exchanging of vows with DH obv). I couldn't give a monkeys about first dances and cake cutting etc. I think planning it from the other side of the world isn't helping either. sorry - rant over, I'll look for solace in my marriage preparation book :)
Latest post on 18 December 2014 - 09:55
In agreement with all. Seen all kinds of religious-centric Christmas decorations for sale. However, signs displayed outside the home are different. Don't know I would set up a lifesize nativity set on my front lawn. I asked my building management about putting Christmas-colored lights on my balcony, and they said no restriction on lights or even signs. It is done for various people's national days, Diwali, and plenty of others. However, they did ask that if I place a sign, or lights that spell as message...essentially keep it secular like "Season's Greetings" or "Happy Holidays." Diversion, sorry!
Latest post on 18 December 2014 - 09:38
Sorry ( (I could fill up a page with a rant on how this guest list is ever increasing but anyway I digress!)). Please do. It's Thursday :evil:
Latest post on 18 December 2014 - 09:35
Nativty sets etc. are available in supermarkets here so no problem there. I have also seen some christian books in bookshops such as Kinokinea's in Dubai mall and others-obviously not books about evangelism, but pastoral, devotional books etc. There are several Christian bookshops selling books and artefacts, one at Holy Trinity church, Oud Metha, the Bible Society bookshop is attached to the Evangelical church in Jebel Ali and no doubt the Catholic churches too have things. I doubt you will have any problem. <em>edited by March on 18/12/2014</em>
Latest post on 18 December 2014 - 09:25
Sorry for (slightly) hijacking the thread but I was about to post a similar ish question: I will be shipping Christmas decorations as part of our things to Dubai next month. I have an angel decoration and a small nativity seen - could these be confiscated? Also we have a couple of marriage preparation books that have been given to DH and I by the vicar that will be marrying us in the UK. They aren't religious as such but have been written by a vicar and have a slight religious slant on having a happy marriage etc. (Just to explain the wedding thing - we had a quickie registry office wedding here in Sydney so we could move to Dubai more easily - we are having the full bells and whistles with the church, dress, flowers and reception for 150 of our closest friends and family in August (I could fill up a page with a rant on how this guest list is ever increasing but anyway I digress!)). The items are small and don't weigh much so I could put them in my luggage when we move but it would be good to hear if anyone has experience of shipping items like these unaccompanied. :) <em>edited by 5abum on 18/12/2014</em>
Latest post on 18 December 2014 - 09:02
I subscribe to The Plain Truth which is a monthly Christian magazine and it gets redirected with the rest of my post from home - I never gave it any thought !!
Latest post on 18 December 2014 - 08:56
The "bearing in mind your situatuion" - was explanation enough on public forum.
Latest post on 18 December 2014 - 08:48
Yes you can read any book you want but bearing in mind you situation - if these were found by your husband they could be used as proof that you are trying to convert your children to christianity and you would most certainly lose all custody to them and could also face a jail sentence. So i would say it would be more than foolish to have these in your house. Not sure how that is either rude or a spitefull comment. This comment isn't rude, but calling me foolish without an explanation was. If he wanted to divorce me and take the kids, using my upbringing as the reason, he's had plenty of time for that. I'm listed as a Christian on all of their documents including the birth record of my kid that was born here. I have a bible and a couple other books, I have my own baptism certificate.... I am who I am, and my kids know that, they definitely do. Nobody asked me to convert upon marriage, it wouldn't have happened. I think part of the reason I'm hated is because I refuse to change, refuse to be fake and hide who I am. However, for my children's future, they have a right to know who I am although I have never forced them in any religious direction, not in ANY. If having a book is proof I'm teaching them, then same can be said for their fathers addictions. Let him try and divorce me on a neutral ground... He knows he'd lose. Thank you for the information about the customs.
Latest post on 18 December 2014 - 08:39
Given that there are a number of Christian Churches in Dubai, endorsed by the authorities, I can't see how Christian books can be restricted. When I married here earlier this year (at Christ Church), we were given a copy of the Bible. That being said, it could depend on the person who may (or may not) intercept your parcel and their opinions on Christianity and what side of the bed they got out of. Hopefully you'll receive your gifts with no issues.
Latest post on 18 December 2014 - 08:39
Yes you can read any book you want but bearing in mind you situation - if these were found by your husband they could be used as proof that you are trying to convert your children to christianity and you would most certainly lose all custody to them and could also face a jail sentence. So i would say it would be more than foolish to have these in your house. Not sure how that is either rude or a spitefull comment.
Latest post on 18 December 2014 - 08:37
Cherpie, sorry for assuming that you wanted to order some books offline. If expats take such books over with them (I have) in their suitcases and cartons they ship, and they get through customs, I would hope you would have no issues with the postal service. If it were tarot cards or voodoo dolls, that would be another story. Hopefully someone can verify that they have received the items you described in the post.
Latest post on 18 December 2014 - 08:23
I'm not going to respond to rude, spiteful comments and I can read any clam book I want, but... I did not ask for the books. Someone sent me some gifts, and I just found out what the contents were. I am asking if the POSTAL SERVICE will confiscate the books.
Latest post on 18 December 2014 - 07:42
I wouldn't call you foolish for wanting to read inspirational and comforting texts, but I do remember the throw-down you described on your Christmas thread when you wanted to have non-religious decorative items in your house and Izzy has a point. (I know Atheists and Agnostics that put up Christmas trees, but I digress!). If they were intercepted or found, they could only be stacked against you, which is sad considering the "colorful" literature and items you have found in your home. Do you have a mobile device like an iPad where you can download a devotional app? There are many free ones. Barring that, you could also download PDFs of the psalms off the internet into a tablet or a different personal reading device. I would probably avoid, just in case, a devotional journal or diary type item for the above concerns. x
Latest post on 18 December 2014 - 07:07
Bearing in mind your situation, i think it would be more than foolish to consider this.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY