Can you sponsor family without a lease? | ExpatWoman.com

Can you sponsor family without a lease?

Latest post on 18 December 2014 - 06:06

I am little confused about sponsorship, we were initially told that we could all come over together and my husbands visa would take about 2 weeks, once he had his visa he could sponsor me and our children (british passports in case it makes a difference).

I have been looking online and all the info I can see says the husband must show a tenancy contract to sponsor-we won't have one so will this be a problem?

We were planning on staying in serviced apartments for a few months but now I'm thinking we'll need to rent asap to get sponsored. You can not rent unless your resedent so this means my husband will have wait for his visa, then find somewhere, wait for the contract (how long?) and then we can join him? Is that correct?
Has anyone done this recently? Please could you advise how long the whole process took, thank you.
<em>edited by Icepopmom on 18/12/2014</em>

Latest post on 21 December 2014 - 08:07
The short answer is yes. Some serviced apartments have registration with Ejari which enables you to get your residency visa - when you are phoning or going to view them ask the manager - it is a common question and they should be able to answer. They will know what documentation to provide you with. I suggest you go for big well known serviced apartments or an organisation such as Rotana or Marriott.
Latest post on 18 December 2014 - 20:15
Until you have residency cards you have no option but to do visa runs. It really isn't too bad..it's about 90mins to get there, usually in and out very quickly and then you can stop off at Hatta Fort hotel on way back for lunch. I've also done it after collecting the kids in afternoon from school. You can do it in less than three hours. We did it for about 5 months as well with 2 kids in between businesses. Bit of a pain but can be done.
Latest post on 18 December 2014 - 19:58
PS until your husband has residency he can't rent a villa or apartment...you can only rent serviced apartments. You can also ONLY drive a hire car till you get residency. Once he has residency then you and kids will get your residency. Once residency comes through you MUST convert to a UAE driving licence immediately and then you can drive your own car. Schools will request residency and ID cards for your kids but just explain that they are in process Nd should be ok.
Latest post on 18 December 2014 - 19:56
Until you have residency cards you have no option but to do visa runs. It really isn't too bad..it's about 90mins to get there, usually in and out very quickly and then you can stop off at Hatta Fort hotel on way back for lunch. I've also done it after collecting the kids in afternoon from school. You can do it in less than three hours.
Latest post on 18 December 2014 - 09:46
Do immigration accept a receipt or contract from a serviced appartment for say 6 months or does it actually have to be a formal lease for 12 months? Im not sure I fancy doing visa runs every 40 days for 4 months with the children!
Latest post on 18 December 2014 - 09:44
I would reccommend that you get an Ejari for the rental contract though, as this is an attested version which Immigration prefer I thought Ejari was mandatory? As in, if you show them an actual tenancy contract instead of an Ejari certificate, they won't accept it?
Latest post on 18 December 2014 - 08:03
You can actually get a further 10 days grace (40 days) before renewing a visit visa. Just completed the Hatta run two weeks ago and repeatedly advised 40 days.
Latest post on 18 December 2014 - 07:32
You are correct....its now one of the (many) required documents to submit when applying to sponsor someone. Rentals are arranged very quickly here. You can sign a contract and move pretty much immediately - I would reccommend that you get an Ejari for the rental contract though, as this is an attested version which Immigration prefer. When negotiating with rental agents tell them you insist on an Ejari being provided (if you rent with one of the big agencies like Better Homes, this is provided as a matter of course) It costs about 200dhs, but saves so many problems. You can still come out with your husband. As you're on British Passports you get a 30 day visit visa on arrival, and all that means is every 30 days you and the kids would need to do visa runs (to Hatta) until your husband has all the neccessary documentation in place to apply for sponsorship. It really depends on whether you want to be out here with him, and look for a rental together, or if you would rather wait until he has everything in place.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY