Advice needed - Living in Ras Al Khaimah | ExpatWoman.com

Advice needed - Living in Ras Al Khaimah

Latest post on 22 December 2014 - 08:50
Thank you so much for all your replies, I can't tell you how helpful they've been! I think we've definitely been put off the idea of RAK, because although we'd like to insist that it's 'sensible'...we are in our 20s and are only planning on staying here for 5-6 years before going home and having kids, so would much rather pay a little more and save less so we can be in the city and actually enjoying our lives. Collectively we're earning about 20,000dhs a month, and in March my salary is increasing so we'll be on around 22,000. Commentator2012 breaking down 60000 a year was really helpful, and even at 65000 a year we can afford a relatively nice 1-bed apartment in all the areas you've mentioned, along with dewa, food expenses and the payments on a small-ish second hand car. (We work so close to each other so wouldn't ever need 2.) We're hoping that while we're here, our salaries will increase slightly so things will get a little bit more comfortable and we can go back to the UK with amazing experience on our CVs, which to me is more important than savings at the moment. Thank you so much for all your help - you've really put my mind at ease. Any more advice about anything would be much appreciated!
Latest post on 22 December 2014 - 07:28
I'd have to agree with everybody else, the drive isn't really feasible on a daily basis, no way. Plus I don't think the area is dubai-like at all, you might grow to regret that. I know someone who just rented in silica oasis for 40ish, so Id suggest you look around a bit more to find something here before you move all the way out there. Plus you don't want to be so far from yr in laws now do you? Best wishes!
Latest post on 21 December 2014 - 21:13
We know people who live in RAK and commute to Dubai every day. They hate it, but they have no other financial choice. It puts a huge strain on their relationship and it's killing their cars.
Latest post on 21 December 2014 - 18:03
Remraam has one beds from 50,000. It's out Dubailand paso arabian ranches. I live in a compound fairly close and can get to Garhoud in 25 mins at most times of day. Only issue with Remraam is that when you exit the compound you have to drive the e611 in jebel Ali direction for a good few kms before u turning . I have a friend who lives there and is in and put of her compound three or four times a day...says it isn't too bad. They are also supposed to be building a road straight to Motor Ciry which will help. I suggest you go for a drive and explore. Head up Umm Sequim st..cross the e311 ie keep following signs for cycle path and Babs al sham then turn right onto E611 and off at bathe first exit.
Latest post on 21 December 2014 - 14:01
May I know how much you are earning? 40 000 is very little for Dubai and it's difficult to find even a studio for this sum. If you are earning AED15000 or more together you should be able to find a place in JVC for around 60000 in 4 cheques. That's AED5000 a month. There is no reason for your monthly expenditure to be more than 5000. Therefore you can save AED5000 a month. If you are adamant on AED40000 then you'll find something in Deira, International City or Al Nahda. While you may save money moving to RAK, your quality of life may not be as good with such a long commute. You might want to spend these years in your 20s enjoying life and exploring the world. HTH
Latest post on 21 December 2014 - 13:55
Also try Silicon Oasis
Latest post on 21 December 2014 - 13:43
Maybe look at JVC - Jumeirah Village Circle- or Remraan <em>edited by Cherry ripe on 21/12/2014</em>
Latest post on 21 December 2014 - 13:35
Thanks for the replies so far... If it is impossible, is there anywhere within Dubai or closer that you would recommend? I mean we're trying to look at under 40,000 a year which I know is a real stretch for somewhere half-decent. It used to be international city and Disco gardens but you wont get anywhere under 40k for that prices have increased rapidly
Latest post on 21 December 2014 - 13:29
Thanks for the replies so far... If it is impossible, is there anywhere within Dubai or closer that you would recommend? I mean we're trying to look at under 40,000 a year which I know is a real stretch for somewhere half-decent.
Latest post on 21 December 2014 - 13:10
Go and stay in a hotel / hotel apartment for a week / fortnight, even a month and test it out...... It may be doable but i would say more than likely not...
Latest post on 21 December 2014 - 13:06
My colleague does the Arabian Ranches to RAK but not on a work day and it takes him 45 minutes with no traffic. Sharjah to Dubai can now take 2 hours during the working week All the traffic flows from Sharjah to Jebel Ali in the morning and SZR is permanently at a standstill in the morning and the reverse journey at night. I would say 90-120 minutes if not longer if there has been an accident as there tends to be daily!
Latest post on 21 December 2014 - 11:44
Hello everyone - my first post! How exciting. I've been in Dubai for about six months now with my DH. We are both working, living with my in-laws, and basically here to save as much as possible over the next five or so years. It's become obvious to us that it's not as easy to 'save' as my in-laws insisted it was, especially on our combined salary. I'm 22 and have just started my career, and my DH is 27 and although he is on a slightly higher salary, it's not high enough for us to be able to comfortably live alone in Dubai AND save. Compared to the UK, we're pretty happy with our first proper combined salary, and the experience we will gain with the companies we work for will be invaluable in itself when we head back to the UK. However...we would really like to try and save something! We've been looking into living in Ras Al Khaimah on the advice of a few colleagues, as International City is just...not what we're looking for at all. We've found a couple of reasonable and nice-looking studio apartments online, but our main concern at the moment is the commute. We start work at 7 so are used to getting up early at the moment - what would the traffic be like coming from RAK to Garhoud area before from 5.30-6.30am, and heading back the other way after 3.30pm? Any other advice on living in RAK (or the idea of it anyway) would be much appreciated. Living with my in-laws permanently is NOT an option. I love them but it's becoming a little trying...and we really need some more space!

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY