Baby Milk | ExpatWoman.com

Baby Milk

Latest post on 22 December 2014 - 17:39

Hello,
My child is about to turn 1, I am trying to stop breastfeeding.
Which baby milk do you recommend I start with?

Latest post on 15 September 2020 - 14:09
Personally I would move straight to cows milk if the child has a reasonably balanced diet
I am new to this forum. Just wanted to ask if it is possible to check the location of the user in his profile. It is vital to know as before giving advice of any type, you should understand where the user is from. Sometimes when suggesting some goods, it can be the case that the other person cannot simply find it locally. I am from San Francisco https://worldpostalcode.com/united-states/california/san-francisco , by the way.
Latest post on 07 August 2020 - 11:33
If your baby is eating well, then your decision is right. Cow's milk is best for babies which is whole or reduced fat milk. you can also get more information about baby care from https://excitedbaby.com/ here.
Latest post on 09 January 2015 - 10:34
It's great that your baby is doing well and you sound very relieved. Please take the advice of others on the site and see a decent paediatrician as well. Children this age need to be moving away from milk (from any source) as their main food and giving them too much milk (especially in a bottle) will stop them wanting to eat solids. They only need about 500 mls of milk a day and then several small meals of fresh, unprocessed foods. I too would be wary of any paediatrician who is telling you that your child needs formula unless he is losing a lot of weight on the scales and/or has some underlying health issue. Don't be too concerned if your child does not continue to gain weight at the rate he did when he was an infant as this tends to taper off now. This is the time that you will be setting him up for healthy eating habits for the rest of his life. He is little now but in the next few months he can start drinking most of his fluids from sippy cups and get most of his calories from food. Enjoy this next stage.
Latest post on 08 January 2015 - 16:54
Thank you everyone for your concerns. Actually, i tried Genio from Novalac and it's been a couple of days and my baby seems great! He finishes all his bottles, he sleeps well and he's not having any digestion problems! Thank you all for your advices and support.
Latest post on 08 January 2015 - 08:31
Thank you for helping me out! My child is not accepting breast milk and i am worried because my pediatrician warned me about cow milk because it is high in fat and recommended an infant formula because it's the most similar to breast milk. But I don't know which formula to give him... what do you recommend? HELP!! From your message you seem very worried and I understand it. I agree that you need the consultation of a good pediatrician of lactation consultant who can reassure you about the needs of your child and listen to you. Can you explain us what do you mean by "my child is not accepting breastmilk", and what does he eat normally? I also might recommend a book that is very helpful in preventing problems related to food and in stopping the anxiety of many mothers: http://www.amazon.co.uk/My-Child-Wont-Eat-mealtimes/dp/1780660057 any of you know if there are lactation consultants in Doha (e.g. La Leache League or similar)? there should be. good luck! Eleonor
Latest post on 06 January 2015 - 21:47
Hello, I have just weaned my 17 mth old baby. I offer full fat cows milk in a variety of sippy cups and bottles throughout the day but she doesn't drink much. This is common with bf babies. Try to give lots of yogurt, cheese, high protein cereals (weetbix with milk) as well as your soft fruits and veges and bits of whatever you eat. If your bub isn't much of a eater they may prefer to suck on frozen yogurt or fruit made into icypoles. None of my kids liked the taste of formula but you can buy a few small cartons of stuff instead of a full tin if you wanted to give it a go. Good luck. <em>edited by Kjt on 06/01/2015</em>
Latest post on 06 January 2015 - 18:40
Thank you i definitely will
Latest post on 06 January 2015 - 18:15
Go and see Dr Renu at Tadawi Clinic. She is a proper pediatrician and will give you the best advice.
Latest post on 06 January 2015 - 17:24
I read that if i have to give my child cow milk it should be accompanied with solid food so he would get all the nutrients he needs. but the problem is my son barely eats solid foods and I am afraid that feeding him only cow milk will cause anemia and missing out on some essential nutrients... Please Help me I feel like my baby is losing weight!!
Latest post on 06 January 2015 - 16:50
And you should be getting your paediatrician struck off for malpractice. At the very least ask them for proper research showing the advantage of whatever they are recommending.... Children that age need fat - it is why you shouldn't give them semiskimmed (or skimmed) milk until they are older. And there really is no need for 'follow on' milk; it's just a marketing gimmick.
Latest post on 06 January 2015 - 16:46
In that case you should be asking your paediatrician... Who, if it is who I think it is, is probably getting kick backs from the formula company.
Latest post on 06 January 2015 - 16:18
Thank you for helping me out! My child is not accepting breast milk and i am worried because my pediatrician warned me about cow milk because it is high in fat and recommended an infant formula because it's the most similar to breast milk. But I don't know which formula to give him... what do you recommend? HELP!!
Latest post on 06 January 2015 - 08:40
Hi dpyn22, actually the 2 answers you received are correct. At 1 yr there is no need of special milk if the diet is balanced. It is true that companies try out strategies for selling special milk even if it is not necessary. You can check the IBFAN website (www.ibfan.org) to get information about unfair advertisement about baby food, included milk. (IBFAN = International Baby Food Action Network). If you feel the need of stopping breast-feeding you can do it passing directly to normal cow full fat milk. But if you still want to give a very good quality milk to your child, the best choice is still breast milk! :-) First of all, because it contains your anti-bodies, and this will protect him/her for a longer time. If it is not too difficult for you, why not to try to preserve at least an evening breast feeding before going to bed? It will be also a good moment for cuddling.... :-)) I myself went on breastfeeding until my DD turned 23 month old, and the last year was very easy because it was complementary and not so demanding. A pleasure more than a need for both of us. And tender moments spent together in our intimacy, to be remembered forever! Good luck!!! :-)
Latest post on 03 January 2015 - 10:02
At aged 1, full fat cows milk is fine to move on to. I only used formula until my daughter was a year old as was told that follow-on milk is just not necessary (a way for these companies to make more money out of you!), and I will do the same with my son when he gets to a year old. If you are feeding a good balanced diet to your child they don't need all the vitamins/minerals etc in the formula milk. Must give them full fat though as they need the fat while they are so young.
Latest post on 23 December 2014 - 11:18
A friend recommended Genio, what do you think about it?
Latest post on 23 December 2014 - 00:35
Personally I would move straight to cows milk if the child has a reasonably balanced diet